Disney's Oversea attractions why can't we get them?

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
How come we won't see any of these really neat attractions like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Animagique and Disney toon Studios. They look like they've taken more time to add some unique attractions at Tokyo DisneySea, DLP Resort..Can they make some of the attractions out at WDW?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
about Tokyo... Disney doesn't own those parks. They are under license from Disney but owned and operated by the Oriental Land Co. And they aren't afraid to invest ridiculously large amounts of money in their parks.

As for Paris... if you ask anyone there, our parks are 100X better :)

jedimaster1227

While I haven't been to Tokyo Disneyland yet (but I am going in November for the first time), I can say that the amount invested in those parks shows very obviously.

As for getting some attractions from Tokyo, I wouldn't count out Journey into the Center of the Earth just yet (at least in part).

about Tokyo... Disney doesn't own those parks. They are under license from Disney but owned and operated by the Oriental Land Co. And they aren't afraid to invest ridiculously large amounts of money in their parks.

Disney has full creative control of all overseas parks.FULL.so get your facts right

tirian

Disney has full creative control, but they do not control the budget. The Oriental Land Company dumps money into Disney's lap to create the most elaborate attractions Disney is capable of doing. Labor is cheaper in Japan, too. Oddly enough, as clean and well-themed as the Tokyo parks are, none of their cloned attractions are any better than those in the States. Most of the attractions are identical to WDW's, although a few rides follow the DL theming (PotC).

Disneyland Paris is a beautiful park with fewer attractions than the MKs in the U.S. The Disney Studios Paris park is worse than DCA or Hong Kong DL. As any British Guest would tell you, DLP Guests also have to deal with the French attitudes. ;) :lol:

doctorcfjh

I would start by saying that there are ONLY two reasons why the WDW parks are superior to Paris (the Walt Disney Studios excepted of course). Firstly because of the warm, friendly, helpful American staff and guests and secondly the simple weight of attractions and diversity. The imagineering of Disneyland Paris is immaculate. Far more so than the Magic Kingdom. From landscaping to level of immersive detail.

Secondly please do not lament the absence of Animagique it is a mediocre show that has upbeat music. I am confident the Nemo musical will be FAR better.

Toon studios is a similar project to the placemaking schemes for DCA. It is a rescue mission for what was/is Disney's most barren and uninviting park. This is by no means a Mickey's Toon Town in the studios as one might hope. Having said that they are steps in the right direction.

mkt

Premium Member
Disney has full creative control of all overseas parks.FULL.so get your facts right
I didn't say they didn't. However, when another company is paying the bill, they get the power to unleash their creativity.

Don't put words in MY mouth.

scottnj1966

I would start by saying that there are ONLY two reasons why the WDW parks are superior to Paris (the Walt Disney Studios excepted of course). Firstly because of the warm, friendly, helpful American staff and guests and secondly the simple weight of attractions and diversity. The imagineering of Disneyland Paris is immaculate. Far more so than the Magic Kingdom. From landscaping to level of immersive detail.

Secondly please do not lament the absence of Animagique it is a mediocre show that has upbeat music. I am confident the Nemo musical will be FAR better.

Toon studios is a similar project to the placemaking schemes for DCA. It is a rescue mission for what was/is Disney's most barren and uninviting park. This is by no means a Mickey's Toon Town in the studios as one might hope. Having said that they are steps in the right direction.

And no monorail. Disney always need to have a monorail. HK too opted not to have one.

doctorcfjh

OLC has at least some dialogue with WDI with regard to broad content, such as the need for interactivity in shows (Mythica being an example). Much of this is cultural necessity rather than creative direction. That said almost every drop of imagination is flown straight over from Glendale.

CTXRover

How come we won't see any of these really neat attractions like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Animagique and Disney toon Studios. They look like they've taken more time to add some unique attractions at Tokyo DisneySea, DLP Resort..Can they make some of the attractions out at WDW?

Because WDW has their own really neat and unique attractions such as Expedition Everest, Mission Space, Test Track, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Dinosaur, Kilamanjaro Safaris, Philharmagic (although that is in HKDL too), etc, etc.... I think clones of attractions are just fine among the parks since Disney has been doing it since day 1 after moving beyond DL, but not every ride needs to be cloned to each of the resorts.

Of those you listed, I think only JTTCOTE would be interesting to bring over to WDW. Although it seems to be a little bit of a mix of Test Track meets Everest. Toon Studios at WDSP sounds like a great addition to the park, but it is out of necessity. Of the additions, Crush's coaster sounds the most promising, but again something WDW has a little bit of in two different rides...the soon to open Nemo Seas ride and Primeval Whirl.

doctorcfjh

And no monorail. Disney always need to have a monorail. HK too opted not to have one.

I agree that the monorail is absent in France. I view the Monorail as really more of an added attractoin - simply because the compact lay out of DLRP negates the need for any type of mass transit system of this nature. Clearly negotiation of the Seven Seas Lagoon is a necessity for car drivers in Florida.

MuRkErY

As for Paris... if you ask anyone there, our parks are 100X better

As somebody else as all ready said. Technically speaking DLP's MK is better than our MK.

How-ever I would still take our MK over DLP's MK, due to.

1) Better CM's at WDW
2) Nostalgia, well I grew up with the WDW MK, so nothing is going to replace it in my heart.
3) Splash Mountain... Wooooo, the one thing our MK has that is better, along with Philharmagic.
4) Wishes and Spectromagic. True they also have Wishes, but I hear there's is a scaled down version due to noise pollution or something.
5) The Floridian weather is much more conducive to the Theme Park environment.

doctorcfjh

MuRkErY that is all very true. It is just PotC that depresses me in the Magic Kingdom... hopefully with the new additions it will pick it up a bit. However Splash has to be the biggest plus from any point of view.

For anyone who has been to France, one can not understate the difference in the experience solely because of the cast members and french mentality.

The first time I went to WDW, I was there in July 4th, Having spent 15 days in Orlando already I remember thinking (I am from the UK) that everyone had a very good point in being fiercely proud of their country. I wish it was something we still had over here (now it only manifests as soccer obsession).

MuRkErY

It is just PotC that depresses me in the Magic Kingdom... hopefully with the new additions it will pick it up a bit.

The new additions to PotC are very nice. All though still not quite at the level of the DLP PotC, they add a nice touch to the attraction. The new AA's are amazing, and a sight to behold, The Davey Jones mist screen is also great, and the new musical score added in certain parts, along with all the various other little touch up jobs (Cannons, better night time effects etc...) make the MK PotC much more fun to ride than it used to be, along with keeping that classic touch. All though still not at the level of it's DL, and DLP cousins.

imagineer boy

mkt said:

Well, that's true in terms of WDS which SUCKS. I mean, it makes DCA look like a masterpiece. Easily the worst park Disney has ever built. However, I do think that DLP's MK is far more impressive than ours.

mkt

Premium Member
see, I'm going by what every Parisian and DLRP AP that has been to both parks has told me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom