Disney's Eisner Fighting for His Job

Stormhammer22

Original Poster
ORLANDO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. CEO Michael Eisner will be on the defensive on Thursday as institutional investors and analysts grill him a day after Comcast Corp.'s surprise $50 billion bid to storm the house the Mouse built.

Eisner will face a barrage of questions about the offer and the future of the company, as senior management takes the stage on the second day of Disney's annual investors conference, held at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

The 61-year-old Eisner, who faces accusations of mismanaging the company's fortunes by Roy Disney, the nephew of company founder Walt Disney and the man who recruited Eisner 20 years ago when the company was battling corporate raiders, faces new threats to his board seat.

On Wednesday, Institutional Shareholder Services recommended Disney shareholders withhold their vote to re-elect Eisner to the board, in a gesture to display its disapproval with Eisner and broader issues about Disney's corporate governance. Sander Morris Harris analyst David Miller, who was at the meeting, said he believed it was unlikely a white knight would emerge to rescue Disney from Comcast, but other options remained.

"There were other defensive and offensive measures moves Disney can make," he said, speculating that Disney could raise additional cash by shoring off its radio properties and offer a dividend.

Shares of Disney, which rose nearly 15 percent on Wednesday to their highest level since July 2001, gained another 2.2 percent early on Thursday to trade at $28.20.

Shares of Comcast fell 1 percent to $30.90, after falling 8 percent on Thursday.

But even as analysts and institutional investors endure the humid Orlando weather and day-long presentations from divisional chiefs from the theme parks and television networks units at Disney World, they may already be looking beyond the gates to wider questions about the media industry.

"This opens the whole field up," Paul Kim, an analyst at Tradition Asiel, said.

"Although the Comcast-Disney thing is big, the more interesting question is what comes after and how will this have a ripple effect on the industry," Kim said. "Every institutional investor here is thinking about what's the next M&A deal down the pike."

Credit: Yahoo News

PhotoDave219

Actually Reuters is the author of the above story, not Yahoo. Yahoo is a distribution channel, just as the Washington Post, New York Times or ABC News.

PhotoDave219

Ture, but i was making that comment to the "Credit-Yahoo" at the bottom. Yahoo didnt write the story, Henderson & Li wrote the story for Reuters which was picked up by Yahoo.

Also the autors of the story, Peter Henderson and Kenneth Li, were not credited.

GrumpysGal

OK. Well, now if someone cared to know who the writers are, they can go themselves to where the article can be found...yahoo.com... Or for anything else pertaining to the article for that matter.

Anyways, I am outraged about this offer. I want Eisner out of there, but I hope some other meaningful company can do the job. I am just thankful there hasn't been a settlement as of yet. I am glad they are thinking it over.

brisem

Originally posted by RAZORBRAD
They said that there may not be a white knight to rescue Disney. Does that mean that Comcast is taking over definetly?

NO, there's rumors of 3-4 other companies that might bid for Disney.

DisneySaint

My goodness, if they would only boot Eisner and Company and work internally to resurrect everything ...

I don't like this bidding and buying out stuff one bit.

marksniles

People think about it -

If Eisner didn't care about the company than he would probably say" The H*ll with it" and sell the company. I'm really torn over what to vote in the next couple of weeks. We don't want another company taking over the magic of Disney. They just don't get how things are done the Disney way. I understand that the exec. on Comcast are former Disney members but still - they're working for another company now.

We must be careful that these companies don't get too big. They will start to monopolize the media. Not a good thing in the Land of the Free.

Pray that this deal falls through and the Disney company just looks from within to work things out for itself.

Mark

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by RAZORBRAD
They said that there may not be a white knight to rescue Disney. Does that mean that Comcast is taking over definetly?

Word going around today is that none other than Steve Jobs himself is trying to put together a "white knight" team.

Maria

Originally posted by marksniles
People think about it -

If Eisner didn't care about the company than he would probably say" The H*ll with it" and sell the company.

We must be careful that these companies don't get too big. They will start to monopolize the media. Not a good thing in the Land of the Free.

Very true, Mark.

Tim G

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
Ture, but i was making that comment to the "Credit-Yahoo" at the bottom. Yahoo didnt write the story, Henderson & Li wrote the story for Reuters which was picked up by Yahoo.

Also the autors of the story, Peter Henderson and Kenneth Li, were not credited.
IMO Nit picking...

David

Originally posted by DisneyJoey
My goodness, if they would only boot Eisner and Company and work internally to resurrect everything ...

I don't like this bidding and buying out stuff one bit.

I agree! While I am not a big fan if Eisner, all this talk of takeover,s selling, bidding, makes me extremely nervous. It seems that we are continually getting further and further away from the original concept of the Disney name and the magic it inspired. A selling of the company now and maybe another one in 5 or ten years, with more loss of the original ideals each time, and pretty soon you have a Six-Flags mentality in the parks.

I hope the compnay stays The Walt Disney Company, but perhaps with different leadership at the top. But even then I'm reminded to be careful what you wish for---it could be worse than what we have now.

belle88

i think that they should definitely take their time in making that decision-since this is something that could harm their future, etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom