Disneyland Resort: San Antonio

thedream86

Original Poster
Disneyland Resort: San Antonio :drevil:

I appologize in advance for my spelling, please bare with me.

For more info please consult my site at http://thedream86.tripod.com/

I Chose San Antonio TX. for the site of my property for a number of reasons. For starters I wanted a property in the middle of the the country and being from Colorado, naturaly Denver came to mind, but after further reserch I decided that the yearly weather was to unstable. San Antonio on the other hand as an average yearly tempriture in the mid 70's. The city has also shown that it is more than capable of supporting the tourist industry (the San Antonio River Walk, The Alamo, Six Flags: Feiesta Texas, and Sea World Texas). San Antonio also has an international Airport and is less than 150 miles from the oceian and less than 200 miles from Huston. Not to mention the fact that it would feel really good to set up shop in Six Flags back yard.

Now on to the property. I invision a 20 squ. mile plot of land north east of the city that will contain 7 (yes seven) Theam parks, Three water parks, one shoping district, and 20 to 30 resort hotels.

Hear is a list of the parks and target constuction times:

1. The Magic Kingdom - Biult in under five years the Magic Kingdom will be 80% compleate for opening day.
2. Disney's America and Magic Kingdom Phase 2- Biult in under 4 years with an opening day set ecsactly 1 year after the Magic Kingdome, this project will compleate the Magic Kingdom and open the new park 90% compleated.
3.WesCot and New Orleans & Vodo Street Exspantion (at MK)- Built in under 6 years Wescot will incorperate the ideals of Epcot on a grander scale. The Exspantion will add a new land, several attraction and one resort hotel to the magic kingdom. This project is set for 5 to 10 years after the Magic Kingdom opening.
4. Unamed Movie Park and Southland Exspantion at Disney's America - This one is still up in the air, exspected opening 8 to 15 years after the Magic Kingdom opening.
5. Disney Seas- This will be a revamped but veary fumiler version of the tokyo park. The park will take 8 years to build and will hopfuly open 10 to 15 years after opening the magic Kingdome.
6. Disney's X-TREAM Adventures - People wan't more thrill rides fine. you can have your own park. Theamed mostly as Texas (you know, everythings bigger in Texas) this park will take 3 years to build and be aimed at cheap thrills. Should be a hit with the local Air force and Army baces.
And finally number seven.......
7. Well see that the thing the way I've got them laid out I've got room for at least one more park in the southwest corrner of the property. So this one is a work in progress, but thats okay, becuse there should always be that next project to work on.

I will contenue in dept on each park, land, hoetel, atraction, ect...... a little lader on. thanks for reading.

thedream86

Original Poster
Disneyland Resort: San Antonio Cont.

The Magic Kingdom:

This Park Will consist of 7 lands apon opening and an 8 land perposed for the 5 to 10 year of operation. The lands are as fallows and go in a clock wise rotation starting at the southern most point.

Lands:
1. Main Street U.S.A.
2. Adventureland
3. Fronterland
4. Critter Country ( Bear Country? still working on name)
5. Fantasyland
6. Mickey's Toon Town ( Birthdayland, country fair? I don't know)
7. Tomarowland

The 8th later land will be New Orleans Square featuering Vodo Street.

Now lets look at the perposed Attractions, Shops, and resturants by land.

Main Street U.S.A. Attractions:
1. Main Street Station: Pretty self exsplanitory
2. Main Street Transportaion Company: Home of the Omnibus, Street cars, Ect.
3. Main Street Fire House: Home of Fire Eingen (My roomate is actualy a fireman so authentisity is a must)
4. Elivated Train: As In Disneyland Paris, My Main Street Will have two arcades runing parale with the street. Inside these arcades will be elivated trian to help cut down on closing time crowds on main street.
5. Main Street Opera House featuering the Walt Disney Story: Audioanimatronidc show featuring Walt Disney telling his life through his own words.
6.Main Street Cinima- showing classic Disney Shorts.
7. Main Street Motors- Classic car showcase.

Main Street Shops:
1. Emporium
2. Camra Shop
3. Disney Clothing Company
4. The One of a kind shop
5. Main Street Candy Shop
6. Freagess Engineering and survay Company - post card and soviner shop.
7. Watch shop
8. Disneyanna Shaop
9. Baxter Print Company- Part Disnyanna shop
10. Roy's Financel Consultants- Fasade only
11. Cooking Shop
12. The Montel Music Shop
13. The Sports Gallary- Spots ware

Main Street Resturants:
1. Walt's - Fine Dining on the secound story of Main Street. $40 +
2. Refreshment Corner presented by Coca Cola - $5+
3. Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor presented by Carnation - $5+
4. Main Street Cafe - $10+
5. Blue Ribon Bakery - $5+
6. Plaza Inn - $15+
7. Tarice Inn - $20+
8. Vendor Carts - $2.50+

And thats main street.
Comming soon Adventureland!

A few comments:

First you seemed to have done alot of background re-search into your planning congrats on that.

Seven parks seems to be a bit of over kill, WDW is only supposed to have 7 in it's grand plan and only because it has established it'self as an international vacation icon would it even be remotly possible for it to ever reach that number, Texas is about the only third venue for a domestic park, I agree with you on that, however as you stated yourself this will pretty much feed manily regionally off of Texas and perhapse some of Central US, but for many of the non-costal populus areas WDW or Disneyland about about equi-distant, so you need to build a Texas resort pretty much in mind of Texas grown attendance, and maybe some mexican tourism. This woudl ineffect then draw alittle away from WDW but it shoudl not hurt it's future growth as the East coast will still be locked in and as I said it is an internation jewel that forgin tourism will continue to flock to even with domestic parks of their own. Point being I could not see more than 3 or 4 parks ever being at a Texas resort, for two reasons, 1 it should have less parks than WDW the Flag Ship and 2 only about 2 or 4 parks coudl probably be supported by a Texas size drawn attendance. Along those same lines, unless your resorts are relativley small there is no way 23-30 hotels will ever be filled.

Also just because you build an all thrill park in noe way means it needs to have"cheap thrills", by which I am ssuming you mean basic rollercoasters and various amusment thrill rides. This is still Disney and for Disney's monicer to be on it must there must be DIsney Magic present which mainly featueres two compenets that appear to be absent from your park, great emmersive theming and a "family park". Just becasue a ride is thrilling does not mean you need to sacrfice thrills, look at ToT, it is one of the best themed and a very thrilling ride. Also just becasue your park is aimed at thrills doesn't meant it shoudl be void of family interaction, many famies have teenagers and a park with all thrill rides woudl work perfect for them, however there are some families with say a teen and a yonger one, for them a thrill park woudl work if there were some milder rides sprinkled in. Basically going all thrill is economic suicide, that demographic is just not enough to fuel a park, look at any Six Flags, or Unversal for that matter, very big thrills, but there are also always a few gentel rides thrown in too. Well roundedness is a secret to economic success.

Finally also atleat land wise, your MK seems to be a bit, similar to the others on the West and East coast, Americans already have DIsneyland and MK with essentially the same land by land set-up, keep the same type of MK style and formula, but give Texas/Central US, something different, put in all new lands perhapse with similar themes or maybe complelty make up something radically new. Still keep the classic attractions, most of them can fit into any generic land, but don't forget to make up some complelty new ones either, it was not that big of a deal going from coast -to -coast but now ploping one down in the middle, third time may not be the charm, you are goigng to haev to give mid-westeners a reason to visit here ever so often as well as their traditional WDW visists. Maybe don't even have MK in the name make it seem like a totaly new twisit on he Disneyland formula.

Just some thoughts.

thedream86

Original Poster
Thank You for the constructive critisism, so often times replise are not.

You comment on having to many parks is a valled one. My hope would be to (and I know this sounds really over the top and arogant, but) acctually cultivate the area into a tourist destination, after all in 1940 anihime was a farm community and Orlando was a swamp. Eaven that thought aside I think 4 would be a minimum cut off on twent square miles.

As Far as the Magic Kingdome goes, I have a few sketch I haven't yet scand that may give you an idea of the many changes I have set for it. But, over all I don't see the Magic Kingdom as a stand alown intaty here, it's more of a cornner stone. ie: It's just somthing fammiler to get them in the door, and hopefuly give a captive adiance for my more ambitiose progects. Pluse I refuse to open a property without pirates of the Carabeian.

With the thrills park I have no idea, this idea has been brought to my attention time and time agin by people I know. I personnaly have verey little intrest in an all thrills park but some people do, so I thought I'd try and please every body some of the time. And I dont beleive the park would be devoid of theaming, just......well it would be done up more like California addventure as aposed to heavey detail like New Orleans Square or World Showcase. Kind of a park on the cheep.

The only thing that botherd me in your post was you said WDW was the flagship resort, based on attendents per park wouldn't tokyo be the flagship, or the overall quallity of the first park in Paris, but being a purest like I am I'd like to think that Anihime is still the flagship of the company, but thats a disscution for a nother time.

Thanks-

thedream86

Original Poster
Adventuerland

All right hear we go...

Adventureland will share the theaming on south america and the carabeian (with exseption to the jungle cruse, there arn't a lot off elefiants in S.A.).

Adventurland Attractions:
1. Pirates of the Carrabiean: Simmiler to it's Paris counterpart, but with a huge battle between two ships (power byhydrolic lifts, like at a greese monkey) and of core update special effects.
2. Skull Rock and Pirate Ship: childrens play area
3. Indana Jones And (working title): This will of corse be an EMV ride, but the story will incorperate Dr. Jones Sr. and the Nazis.
4. The Jungle Boat Cruise: what would this park be without thoughs horable, horable jokes from the jungle cruise.
5. The Tree House: This may be a go, but it might not, this is a clone that you really can't elaborate on.
6. A Jungle Book type stage show: This is not my feild of expertise so it probably won't be in the finnished product.
7. The Tiki Room

Adventuerland Shops:
1. Drake's Gallion: Sir Francis Drake (Wink Wink:animwink: )
2. Sala's rare antiquities: I.J. shop
3. Island traders
4. Kingston Bazzar
5. One more yet to be named

Adventureland Resturants:
1. San Partifino: Think the blue byoue but in the caribiean insted of the swamp.- $30+
2. The Explorer's Club - $20+
3. Havan BBQ - $10+
4. Friut Stand presented by Dole - $3+
5. Hattian Tarace - $10+

Next up Fronterland-

thedream86

Original Poster
Fronterland

Fronterland will be situated directly north of adventureland and south of the river. Fronterland will actualy be theamed as a small town called Thunder Masa (working title, I know it's the same as in Paris but thats a detail that will have to wait for know, unless any one has any ideas?)

Fronterland Attractions:
1. Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road: much like it's Paris counter part it will be on the island.
2. Masa Landing: Home of the Steemship Mark Twain, Sailing ship Constitution, and the Steem Wheeler Annie Okely (working names)
3. The Haunted Mansion: This one has actualy been desighned by a freind of mine, but what he's got so far seams prety cool. I should also mention that everyday at noon there will be a gun fight and mock funiaral with the hurse traveling up behind the mantion at the end. I'll go more in depth about the ride a nouther time.
4. The Dance Hall ( something sallon?)
5. Rafts To The Island
6. Fantasmic
7. Indian Village

Fonterland Shops:
1. Thunder Masa Trading Company
2. Hickacks General Store
3. Ranch Offiters
4. And atleat two more

Fronterland Resturants:
1. Farmers Buffet: All you can eat BBQ in a barn - $15+
2. Aunt Pollie's Dining room: Home cooking - $20+
3. Sallon (still no name): - $5+
4. Fort Appachie (on islan): - $2.50+
5. River Side Inn: Shares kitchen with Plaza Inn - $10+
6. Casa Bunita: Mexican food - $10+
7. Vendor Carts: - $2.50 +

Thanks for reading.
I'll be going home from school this weekend so I wont be able to post any more untill at least Monday, but I'll post the rest as soon as I can.

thedream86

Original Poster
Criter Country or Bear Country?

I'm still working on this one, I can't decide on a name or if I'm just going to incorperate it into Fantasyland or Frontierland or whatever. But I have come up with a rough layout putting it just north east of Frontierland and directly west of Fanasyland. The area will be primarily bilt into splash mountain with tunels running all through it creating a shoping area simmiler to New Orleans square at Disneyland.

Critter County Attractions:
1. Splash Mountian
2. Country Bear Play House: Looks like the one in the movie and will show 3 shows a year like in Toyko (Original, Summer, and Chrismas).
3. Winnie the Pooh: I know nothing about this so if anybody has any ideas let me know.

Critter Country Shops:
I'm still not sure on this yet, probably a Pooh shop and a place to buy your splah photos, and some others.

Critter Country Resturant:
1. Hungry Bear Resturant?
2. ????
3. ????

I know this needs alot of work but I'm sure it'll straiten it's self out. Next up Fantsyland.

thedream86

Original Poster
Fantasyland:

Fantasyland will be split by two very uniqe theams and a small concreat mountain range. The magority of the land will incorperate the standard fantasyland motife, and the east end of the land will be home to a villans theamed area.

Fantasyland Attractions:
1. The Castle: Looks like the one in butey and the beast, houses a resturant and shops.
2. Subturainean walk through: with a dragon like in Paris, but it needs some more work.
3. Butey and the Beast: A dark ride for the movie.
4. Snow White: " "
5. Peater Pan: Haning dark ride.
6. One more dark ride yet to be determaided.
7. Carosel
8. Tea Cups
9. It's a small world
10. Hurculie's Parthanon: Eventualy will be home to a roller caoster but for opening will just be a sitting area.
11. Aliace in Wonderland
12. Villian's Moutain: Yea thats right, everything you heard it would be and more.
13. Villian's Moutain Train Depot
14. Villian's Stage Show: Still working out the details.
15. Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Fantasyland Shops:
Thear are quite a few, but almost all are connectet with a reide so I'll try and put them together for you.
1. Castle: Chrismas Shop, Mideavil Traiders, Bell's Library.
2. Castle Extentions (dark Rides): Toy Shop, Costume Shop.
3. Port of Freindship: Toy store at the end of small world.
4. Villian's Hide Out: Located in the Villian's area this will consist of a number of stores and resturants in an undergraund area linking the Villians area with toon town ecspect 2 reaturants and three stores.

Fantasyland Resturants:
1. Grand Banquite Hall: in Castle.
2. Geppeto's Pasta
3. Greek Service Resturant: by parthanon, no name yet.
4. Two service counter resturants in villians area (see above).
5. Vendor Carts.
6. And atleast one more yet to be finnalized.

Next up Toon Town.

thedream86

Original Poster
Toon Town:

Well...Um....You see...... Okay, okay I'm not to crazy about toon town. At Disneyland it just feels out of place and at WDW it's been repackaged so many time I don't eaven know what the offical name is any more. Basicly you'll see the same stuff you do in the outher ones. All the big time charicters houses, one small roller coaster, a Goffy's bounce house, Donnald's Boat, somthing with little plastic balls, a rodger rabit ride, and the only thing I plan to add is a stage show based on the new cartoon, Disney's House of Mouse. Aside from that all I can say is the area will be geard twards a younger addience and will probably look very simmiler to what you've allready sean. Now some people will say it's not new, so it's not special. Thats true it's not, but let me run this by you, why do people (especial kids) buy McDonnals food at the parks? ( DCA: Buger Invation, DL: Conastoga Fries, Harbor Gally, AK: I don't remember the name but it's back by Countdown to Extintion). Why if you had traveld a long distance and you had a bevey of food choice before you would you by an $8.00 happy meal when one out side the gates goes for $2.99. Simple becuse a happy meals a happy meal weather your in Chicago on China. So I think Toon Town can stay the same, becuse when you going to Mickey's house you don't want something you don't recognize, you wan't your $8.00 happy meal. I hope that makes sence. I just don't see a hole lote of veriety hear, but fumilearity sells.

What's up with the Conastoga Fries any way thats all they sell McDonnal's Fries, McDonnal' Fries don't eaven tast good there always soggy and there..........................

Next up Tommarowland!

thedream86

Original Poster
Tommarowland

Tommarowland will be the last of the lands that will be ready to go as part of the original park.

Tommarowland Attractions:
1. Space Mountian
2. Star Tours
3. Atopia
4. Rocket Rods
5. Alien Encounter
6. The Time Keeper
7. Kodak Magic Eye Theater featuering Captin EO
8. Astro Orbiter
9. Tron Arcade

Tommarland Shops:
1. The Star Port: Outside of Rocket Rods and Alien Encounter.
2. Empeiral Supply: Outside Star Tours
3. Lurner Fashions: Outside Space Mountian.
4. The Pit Shop: Outside Autopia

Tommaroland Resturants:
1. The Lunching Pad - $5+
2. A Tresherplanet theamed service resturant - $5+
3. Vendor Carts - $2.50 +
4. Ice Cream Shop yet to be named - $3+

And Thats it for the original opening day park, Now the next post will be for a later planed exspantion to the park.

thedream86

Original Poster
Okay This will be the last one for the Magic Kingdome.

Port New Orleans - Set for opeing 5 to 10 years after the inital park opining.

This area will in many resemble New Orlean Square at Disneyland and will have the same crouded streets filled with shops and resturants, at the north end of the land a secound entrance to the park will go under the train tracks and exit out into a new orleans theamed hotel.

Port New Orleans Attractions:
1. Vodo Alley: Kind of like a fun house with lots of optical illutions, this attraction will be a walk through.
2. Secound dock for steam ships
3.La Feites Escape: EMV Boat ride consisting of you running from gattors, swamp monster, Ect. like a fast paced Pirates of the Carabeian.
4. Phantom Manor: The onlything in comman with the ride in Paris is the name. This ride will be aimed at an older addieance and will be to graghic and scarry for younger gests. This ride will be kind of like the Haunted Mansion only insted of singing, the gousts wan't you dead, and it will actually be scary. People have sead they wan't it so hear it is.
5. Carnavil Parade: Everyday is Mati Gra!

Port New Orleans Shops and Resturants:
Too numeris to list off the top of my head, but just try and imagen New Orlean Square.

Okay and thats The Magic Kingdome, later this week I'll start in On Disney's America.

The_CEO

Being a close residents to San An.. San Antonio has alot of symbolic and historical history to it.. I dont see it as a prime location of a DisneyWorld................:)

thedream86

Original Poster
The Historical Signifacence of San Antonio is one of the reasons I chose the city, I thought it would tie in well with the secound park, Disney's America. I invision it fallowing a more wild west/spanish american war as apposed to the mainly civil war theamed park that was purposed for Virgina. If you have any other ideas for a location in Texas I would be glad to hear them, but after visiting Houton (and ruling it out) I have trouble finding another location with as many positive qualities as San Antonio. Hopefly the property would be 10 to 20 miles out of town, I would think that would be far enough out of the way it wouldn't disturb any historical sights (if thats a concern). Any way if anyone has any ideas or sugestions post them, there are no bad ideas and I'm open to considering any sugestions. That's why I'm posting it hear, so I can get other opinions and hopefly the property will evolve in to a finnished form.

Thanks for reading,

A little later I'll Start posting Disney's America.

The_CEO

SeaWorld is out in the outer rims of the San An woodland area.. Thats still considered San An.. This could work.... But dont we already have Disney America being done by 'James'?

Originally posted by thedream86

As Far as the Magic Kingdome goes, I have a few sketch I haven't yet scand that may give you an idea of the many changes I have set for it. But, over all I don't see the Magic Kingdom as a stand alown intaty here, it's more of a cornner stone. ie: It's just somthing fammiler to get them in the door, and hopefuly give a captive adiance for my more ambitiose progects. Pluse I refuse to open a property without pirates of the Carabeian.

Well looking over the attractions I really don't see to many changes, you may have made some minor changes to the rides but I see very few orginal rides. There is nothing wrong with cloneing the classics, but but since this is the third US park and it is sandwiched by the coasts that are nearly the same, why not change it up a litle bit. Even as a cornerstone it needs to help the whole resort stand alone against Disneyland and WDW, you said you were hopping to create an area of major draw, then you are going to have to be corssing the draw boundaries of Disneyland and WDW and I am not sure if the differences you have now are great enough to draw away, even if you add other more ambitious parks, this park is what the public is still going to focus on, I would say that most of the public thinks of MK when you mention WDW, even though there are three other parks. Most likely the MKish park at your resort will be what people think of, and if they can't think of several unquie E-ticket attractions they may not see a reason to go there when Disneyland or WDW is closer.

Several things you could do:

Re-name the lands:

perhapse call Frontierland-Pioneerland, make it seem like it is a new combonation of concpets even if it really isn't

Add a new land:

You've said you don't like ToonTown, so don't add it, you seem to be a creative person think up a new land geared toward the kiddes.

Keep the classics but promote the orginals:

Keep all of the true classics(PoC and all) but have atelast one central unique E-ticket attraction per land

Again just suggestions :)

thedream86

Original Poster
Acctually those sugestions were very helpful. I thought I had put an E-ticket ride in each land but i might have missed a cuple. As far as toontown goes, I think I can kill two birds with one stone hear, 1. finding a replacement for toontown and 2. cutting the total number of parks. My movie theamed park will insted be scaled down and added to the Magic Kingdom in the area set aside for toontown. As far as renaming the lands goes it sounds like a good idea, but Pioneerland just dosn't jump out at me. But, I'm shure something will pop up.

So Hear are the changes to the Magic Kingdome as of now:

Lands,
1. Mainstreet U.S.A.
2. Adventuerland ?
3. Frontieerland? Maybe I'll name it after the town?
4. Critter Country, Bear Country?
5. Fantasyland?
6. Movie Theamed Land?
7. Tommarowland?
8. Port New Orleans?

Okay, It'll take me a cuple of days to hammer out the deitales, but I'll post them as soon as I can, Thanks.

thedream86

Original Poster
This is, in no way a sample of my work it's just a quick (about 2 1/2 minuts) drawing I did in Autocad to use as a visual refrence for the layout of the parks as of now. I now it looks like crap, but it's the same quality of drawing you'd do on a napkin, so please don't critice it, under neath I'll post a real screen shot of the hub minus the demitions for clearity. Thanks

Also I should mintion the Hub pix is now ware neare compleat and will seem distorted, lines may apperar to intersect and sircles will apper as squares, thease are not the accurate dimintions of the drawing, but some time in this programe when you zoom out over a long distance it will get confuse especialy with large drawing, and this one drawing is 1':1' that means if the wall is 20' lond, on the drawing it's 20' long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom