News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

mickEblu

Not to mention nothing they’ve come up recently for the parks has been worth my time. Not looking forward to anything in the near future.

Makes not going/purchasing keys that much easier.

Yeah even though I don’t have any problems with the program they unveiled today I’m still not sure I want to buy “AP’s” for the fam. Maybe the $400 option (with the intention of going 6 or so times) as it just a very cheap form of entertainment for the family spread out throughout the year. At that point you kind of ignore the issues you have with the place and think about the fact that it’s still quality entertainment for cheap. Only issue is we’d have to pull my son out of school every time we go and my wife would have to waste a PTO day.

cmwade77

Seems to me they wanted to be totally unshackled by any legal (or perceived) AP obligations as obstacles to tweaking things and removing a few benefits. It's so much easier to rebrand and reprice than to weather the storm you'd incur by saying "Hey AP holders, we're making it more difficult to park, reserve, book, etc..."
It also says that each pass type will be available in limited quantities and may have periods of time where a particular level isn't available for sale or renewal. In the past, you were pretty.much guaranteed to be able to renew at your current level or above, this new wording seems to indicate that will no longer be the case.

fctiger

They're never going away - it's the magic piece the old AP product lacked - the ability to dynamically limit how many consumers of the AP product showed up on any given day.

Sure in the future we can expect the scaricity of them going down, but around events, launches, openings, etc... This is the tool they've always wanted.

We were also told APs were never coming back! 🤣

But you cold be right. This could be a permanent thing. I don't have issues with it frankly, just as long as you can reasonably get reservations and so far it's been pretty easy this summer. Almost too easy lol.

mickEblu

It honestly makes perfect sense to keep APs more or less the same if they are planning on bringing in Paid Fastpass. The typical AP will not take advantage of a highly priced FP since they'll say "Eh, I'll just catch that ride on standby the next time I'm here." This thereby frees up a spot for the once-in-a-lifetime guest to buy a fastpass and get a guaranteed good time.

Wringing dollars from wallets? Yes, but it should lead to more customer satisfaction.

Paid FP vs. Rise of Resistance Boarding Groups... I think I'd prefer the Paid FP.

Hopefully they implement the signs better than they did in Paris and hopefully it’s priced high enough. And hopefully they don’t close the standby lines. Here’s to hopin

mickEblu

I’m childless, so I don’t have to think about certain things. I’m hoping to be living in a different country within the next few years anyway, so you all enjoy your new keys. Lol.

Lol and you enjoy your FREEDOM! I wouldn’t trade my kids for anything but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it feels like my feet aren’t cemented to the ground.

Californian Elitist

Yeah even though I don’t have any problems with the program they unveiled today I’m still not sure I want to buy “AP’s” for the fam. Maybe the $400 option (with the intention of going 6 or so times) as it just a very cheap form of entertainment for the family spread out throughout the year. At that point you kind of ignore the issues you have with the place and think about the fact that it’s still quality entertainment for cheap. Only issue is we’d have to pull my son out of school every time we go and my wife would have to waste a PTO day.
Look into other fun things you can do in the state or in a nearby state. Lots of entertainment available, but I also see where you’re coming from. If you’re unbothered by the new stuff and don’t mind the restrictions, I say go for the passes.

Californian Elitist

Lol and you enjoy your FREEDOM! I wouldn’t trade my kids for anything but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it feels like my feet aren’t cemented to the ground.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to having children. I just need to get settled first and make sure I can provide for any kiddies I may have.

I got a remote job in higher education and start this Monday in Costa Rica for a two-week training. Since I can live anywhere, I’ve got my eyes set on Italy. That’s going to be a process, so for now, I’ll still be here. If and when I do leave, I’ll make sure to get a few visits to Avengers Community College (stole this from @truecoat lmaoo) in and many rides on my beloved Pirates before I head out.😉

fctiger

I can't see Disney announcing "New ride opening xx/xx/xx" and not having a reservation system on that day, or the first week, or weekends for the first couple months. How far it extends...holidays, major ride or park anniversaries, most popular weekends during festivals, the last week before summer blockouts. Days that you could predictably guess that truckloads of people will be showing up for a specific reason.

Before CL and GE opened, we heard every crazy idea of how they will 'limit' the APs. Everything from an 'extra fee' system to literally blocking them out of the park for an entire summer. People always come up with these crazy ideas, Disney never does them.

In other words, I'm not worried about 'BUT WHAT IF THEY DO...." scenario. I've had an AP for pretty much every major ride or land opening in the last 10 years. I can't think of a single time they were excluded in some major way.

mickEblu

Look into other fun things you can do in the state or in a nearby state. Lots of entertainment available, but I also see where you’re coming from. If you’re unbothered by the new stuff and don’t mind the restrictions, I say go for the passes.

I dunno. Is there? I’m at that stage in my life where you kind of just do the same old things as you don’t have the energy or creativity to think outside the box for various reasons. I’ve feel like I’ve exhausted all of the local stuff or that it’s just not the worth the effort with the kids. Disneyland barley feels worth it sometimes. I’m sure it ll change as the kids get older.

It’s weird my wife is all of sudden more diehard DL fan than me. Not in the traditional sense but she doesn’t get caught up in all the stuff we do around here. She told me last night “I’m telling you right now I want a pass, I know you’re mad at them or whatever…”

Last edited:

fctiger

Most important thing of all this news is it starts AFTER my trip is over. That’s really the only thing that matters in all of this. 😏

We still have to remember there is a reservation system there for a reason too...so it WON'T be packed in. But I'm sorry this is still Disney they will probably pack as many people in as they can. WDW looks just as busy like it was 2019 again and Florida is a mess again with Covid.

CaptinEO

Not to mention nothing they’ve come up recently for the parks has been worth my time. Not looking forward to anything in the near future.

Makes not going/purchasing keys that much easier.
Absolutely agree, they only want to destroy, not improve.

Anjin

I can't imagine people walking around saying "I have a dream key to Disneyland".
I feel for the CMs having to ask "are you a dream key holder?" 😂
It does make you laugh at the old leaked info on what was coming… how off it was. People truly just speculate and post that out like they have real confirmed details.

Not as bad as anyone thought, I wish the monthly payment was not offered.
I'm not sure concerned about payment plans with this program. If reservations keep the park sane, it doesn't matter how you paid. The main bottleneck will be in competition for reservations. We'll have to see how that goes.
Anyone know how many Disney gift cards you can use at once on Disneyland.com?
I believe up to five, but you can always consolidate balances to make it easier.

Curious Constance

Just out of curiosity since I’m not local and won’t ever go enough to warrant this kind of purchase, but I’m confused on the reservations you can hold at one time. Is that within a certain time frame? And what if you keep showing availability day after day can you just keep making a reservation and go every day if you wanted and that’s considered within your rights to do so long as you’re not blocked?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom