News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Parteecia

In the Before Times, my friend and I would usually go on Thursdays and arrive in the early afternoon. Mostly we'd wander to soak up the atmosphere, listen to live music, and go on rides if the lines weren't too long (easier when Maxpass was included). Where to eat dinner was usually a late minute decision.

Is this kind of visit still possible?

Californian Elitist

In a way we are the backbone of the Walt Disney Company. We’re reliable and always save the day for the parks division which in turn always bails out the rest of the company. We run this $hit.
The only things Key Holders/super fans run are their credit/debit cards and their mouths.

In the end, Disney does what they want.

Californian Elitist

In the Before Times, my friend and I would usually go on Thursdays and arrive in the early afternoon. Mostly we'd wander to soak up the atmosphere, listen to live music, and go on rides if the lines weren't too long (easier when Maxpass was included). Where to eat dinner was usually a late minute decision.

I would argue this is not necessarily impossible, just difficult, especially with the way mobile ordering is set up. You have to know what you want to eat at least an hour in advance for mobile ordering, unless you want to potentially wait in long buffeteria lines.

Vegas Disney Fan

I would argue this is not necessarily impossible, just difficult, especially with the way mobile ordering is set up. You have to know what you want to eat at least an hour in advance for mobile ordering, unless you want to potentially wait in long buffeteria lines.
I agree, not as easy as it was but still possible.

We‘ve been to DL hundreds of times so many days are just what they describe, we don’t set an alarm and just go whenever we want, often only go on a couple rides, and spend most our day just wandering around and enjoying the parks… reservation required restaurants are nearly impossible to get same day but we’ve had good luck with relatively short lines at Jolly Holiday, Plaza Inn, Red Rose, etc.

Another difficulty is getting Fantasmic and World of Color spots, if you aren’t in the park when the virtual queues open up you often don’t get a spot.

The most frustrating part for us was getting reservations for the days we wanted, once we were in the park we still enjoyed it.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve been in queue for 3.5 hours and the wait is still “over an hour”.

Seems they’re releasing tens of thousands of keys, are only processing a couple people at a time, they’re just using this as a tool to gauge interest, or Disney IT is being the typical horrible Disney IT and the sites been down most of the day.

Parteecia

Seems they’re releasing tens of thousands of keys, are only processing a couple people at a time, they’re just using this as a tool to gauge interest, or Disney IT is being the typical horrible Disney IT and the sites been down most of the day.
I accidentally got in the queue around that time. I just went back to the page and it said that I missed my turn and could start over.

Ryan120420

Clear your cache. There has not been a queue for me for the past 2-3 hours.

Ryan120420

Weird, I tried on my iphone, ipad, and desktop and all show "more than an hour".

Maybe it's not meant to be.

Maybe it's the link I'm using.

Last year when they went on sale, for some reason this link bypassed the queue.

Vegas Disney Fan

And just like that we're APs again, at a lower level than before though.

Since we let our Keys expire I've been looking at regular tickets and was pretty shocked by the prices, I figured we'd break even on the Believe at 3 weekends so I'm happy they reopened sales and we'll save in the long run. We bought Universal FL APs during our DL breakup, and have cruises and other trips already booked, so the blocked out weekends and months will be easy to fill.

Plus I got to surprise my GF with an early Christmas gift and make her cry happy tears, that's nearly worth the price alone.

Parteecia

And just like that we're APs again, at a lower level than before though.

Since we let our Keys expire I've been looking at regular tickets and was pretty shocked by the prices, I figured we'd break even on the Believe at 3 weekends so I'm happy they reopened sales and we'll save in the long run. We bought Universal FL APs during our DL breakup, and have cruises and other trips already booked, so the blocked out weekends and months will be easy to fill.

Plus I got to surprise my GF with an early Christmas gift and make her cry happy tears, that's nearly worth the price alone.
Congrats! My Disney buddy gave me the okay so if the Fates agree I will be back in the parks.

Sailor310

Yes. I was sitting with a friend last night at 5:30. Noticed Touring Plans said 4/10 for crowds (never is that low these days).
DL said Tier 2, $129, so we said 'let's go' and made reservations. Left 6ish, got there 7ish. Napa Rose was closed for private party so we went to Storytellers. 15 minute wait. Did Soarin. Went to WOC for the 10:10 show. They opened it up to everybody 20 minutes before start. Went on a couple of rides at DL (DCA closed at 10), two laps on the train, left at 12. Big rides were still saying 60 min, but Jungle Cruise and Pirates were walk-ons.

CaptinEO

Take out the reservations and I'm in.

As much as many detest Bob Chapek the Magic Keys prove they can offer much less and charge much more and people will pay.

Not hating on anyone that buys or gets value out of Magic Keys, just stating that clearly the demand was there for them despite the dramatic changes in both price and benefits vs the Annual Pass program.

Also I find it hilarious how many, including news organizations and sometimes Disney themselves still refer to them as APs. Disney never needed to retitle them as anything different from annual passes. Disney World never did this.

That being said if Disney wants to up charge for a reservation free pass I will gladly buy it. Magic Keys dont fit in with the way I want to visit a park.

Reminds me of the Galaxy's Edge naming reveal after 5 years of construction where everyone referred to it as Star Wars Land already.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Take out the reservations and I'm in.

As much as many detest Bob Chapek the Magic Keys prove they can offer much less and charge much more and people will pay.
Correct. I’ve been saying the saying the same thing. Disney is having guests pay more for less benefits, and people are STILL waiting in line long lines and handing over their money for these passes. I’ve seen folks say they’re not getting a pass/not going to renew, only to turn around and do just that. My best friend and I always talk about the decline in the parks, but she tells me yesterday that she’s planning to get a pass.🤔

I personally find the Magic Keyholder program insulting and even laughable. They want me to pay way more for less benefits? Not to mention the dynamics of visiting the parks have changed with things like mobile ordering and Genie+, making the experience less fun. As my mom says, you must think I’m a fool. Laughable.

CaptinEO

Correct. I’ve been saying the saying the same thing. Disney is having guests pay more for less benefits, and people are STILL waiting in line long lines and handing over their money for these passes. I’ve seen folks say they’re not getting a pass/not going to renew, only to turn around and do just that. My best friend and I always talk about the decline in the parks, but she tells me yesterday that she’s planning to get a pass.🤔

I personally find the Magic Keyholder program insulting and even laughable. They want me to pay way more for less benefits? Not to mention the dynamics of visiting the parks have changed with things like mobile ordering and Genie+, making the experience less fun. As my mom says, you must think I’m a fool. Laughable.
I completely agree. It's really funny how people will act disgusted at the company but throw money at them. Not saying you can't go there, enjoy, and also be critical at the same time.

But if someone is completely opposed to the Magic Key program and buys a Magic Key it just makes no sense.

Like you mentioned the dynamics are so different as is the quality of the parks. You're paying more for a worse experience that now includes additional hurdles and rules.

To me the whole point of the pass was my wife and I or friends would just decide to spontaneously go one day or the night before. Sometimes we would be in LA for something and just feel like going to Disneyland on a whim. Which is how annual passes work at any themepark that isn't Disney right now.

I know people shame APs for using the parks as a hang out, but that is the product Disney used to sell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom