Disneyland commercials?

Hawkeye_2018

Original Poster
I see a lot of commercials for Disney world on the Disney owned channels. But it occurred to me that I never see any commercials for Disneyland. I live in the Midwest, so I'm not much closer to either park. Is Disneyland's advertising more regional, while DW is more national and global?

Californian Elitist

It most likely is regional. I rarely see WDW commercials here in Los Angeles... Everything is mostly DLR.

Most of DLR’s fanbase itself is regional, so I guess it makes sense.

Darkbeer1

I see WDW a lot, especially on Cable channels like Discovery, History, HGTV and Food Network. (National Buys)

And yes, Disneyland is usually regional. And WDW buys are regional buys in the mid-West over Disneyland for Decades.

Seems like Disneyland focus on All of California (NorCal, Central Cal and SoCal), Nevada and Arizona, plus Tijuana Mexico. Surprisingly, Salt Lake City gets buys from both Anaheim and Florida.

Disney much prefers selling vacation packages with Hotels over just DLR park tickets.

The South Pacific, aka Australia and New Zealand get buys (TV spots) from Disneyland, WDW, Tokyo DLR, Hong Kong DL and now China. Seems like it is a good market for all the parks.

PiratesMansion

I can vouch that in the Chicago area, it's exclusively WDW. Most people here have no concept of DL as a destination or as a place that they would ever go over WDW.

I think there might have been an occasional DL spot around the time of the 50th, but I can't guarantee that. Growing up, the only place I would sometimes see Disneyland ads was on Disney VHS tapes.

SuddenStorm

Disneyland doesn't need commercials. It's packed enough as it is.

I'd be curious to see what a year looks like at Disneyland if they cut all marketing and special promotions.

Just pure, vanilla Disneyland- no seasonal promotions, no ticket deals, no billboards, no commercials, no ride overlays.

It'll never happen, but it'd be an interesting experiment.

PiratesMansion

I'd be curious to see what a year looks like at Disneyland if they cut all marketing and special promotions.

Just pure, vanilla Disneyland- no seasonal promotions, no ticket deals, no billboards, no commercials, no ride overlays.

It'll never happen, but it'd be an interesting experiment.

Easy-it'd look like Magic Kingdom!

TwilightZone

I was pretty shocked to see a pure disneyland commercial the other day. Haven't seen one since DCA opened tower of terror. It wasn't really for anything, just all the new characters you can meet.

ght

Probably has to do with the region. We see a lot of Disneyland commercials in Arizona on networks like ABC but on the national channels on cable (like the Disney Channel) it seems to be more WDW based.

Darkbeer1

I was pretty shocked to see a pure disneyland commercial the other day. Haven't seen one since DCA opened tower of terror. It wasn't really for anything, just all the new characters you can meet.

Where did you see it? A local ad (so what city) or do you think it was a National one?

A few Disneyland National Commercials air. Christmas Day Parade has one spot just for the DLR. When an ABC National Show, such as the Bachelor of DWTS has a segment filmed at the DLR, usually you will get a 30 second spot also. So rare, but does happen.

TwilightZone

Where did you see it? A local ad (so what city) or do you think it was a National one?

A few Disneyland National Commercials air. Christmas Day Parade has one spot just for the DLR. When an ABC National Show, such as the Bachelor of DWTS has a segment filmed at the DLR, usually you will get a 30 second spot also. So rare, but does happen.
I think local. I'm in California. Won't say much else.

Rich T

Best commercials ever for DL were the 1970's "It could only happen at Disneyland" spots that accompanied the opening of Space Mtn., New Matterhorn and Big Thunder. What a great campaign to bring Californian's back to the park!

AndyS2992

Who needs fake families with even faker smiles running around an empty Disneyland park with princesses freely roaming around when you can have this:

:cry:

Here in the UK WDW and Disneyland Paris has a heavy advertising presence which is amusing if they don't advertise much in the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom