Disneyland and WDW expected profit this year: 4 billion

LovePop

Original Poster
News today (1/18/22):

"The Walt Disney Company suffered in 2020, losing $2 billion in the third quarter. They broke even in the third quarter of 2021 and are expected to turn a $1.3 billion profit in the third quarter of 2022. Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World are expected to reach 2019 levels of profitability this year, generate $4 billion in earnings. In 2023, they are expected to generate $5.2 billion. In 2024, that number could be $6.3 billion."

So, in case anybody's wondering, that's where the money from Genie+, LL and DME are going. The reason that the company only gets 1.3 billion overall even though DL+WDW will make $4 B is partly because Chapek is planning to spend $33 billion on streaming this year, up from 25 billion that he spent last year.

In short, DL+WDW has to make up for Disney's other less profitable ventures. That's why we have to pay more for the parks all the time.

tanc

Was to be expected, there will always be people willing to shell out the money for the most premium experience. It will be interesting to see how this model works in post 50th anniversary. I think people just want the "I was there" status for the 50th anniversary. Unfortunately, I really don't see how they can just upcharge and upcharge but people are inevitably willing to pay 🤷‍♂️

John park hopper

"Each of Disney's six theme park resorts around the world is undergoing major expansion, along with Disney Cruise Line. Michael Nathanson, a longtime media analyst, estimates that Disney will spend $24 billion on new attractions, hotels and ships over the next five years."
This is on everything I think 78 billion in the parks is a little off

JoeCamel

News today (1/18/22):

"The Walt Disney Company suffered in 2020, losing $2 billion in the third quarter. They broke even in the third quarter of 2021 and are expected to turn a $1.3 billion profit in the third quarter of 2022. Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World are expected to reach 2019 levels of profitability this year, generate $4 billion in earnings. In 2023, they are expected to generate $5.2 billion. In 2024, that number could be $6.3 billion."

So, in case anybody's wondering, that's where the money from Genie+, LL and DME are going. The reason that the company only gets 1.3 billion overall even though DL+WDW will make $4 B is partly because Chapek is planning to spend $33 billion on streaming this year, up from 25 billion that he spent last year.

In short, DL+WDW has to make up for Disney's other less profitable ventures. That's why we have to pay more for the parks all the time.
Thanks D+

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not surprising.
"Each of Disney's six theme park resorts around the world is undergoing major expansion, along with Disney Cruise Line. Michael Nathanson, a longtime media analyst, estimates that Disney will spend $24 billion on new attractions, hotels and ships over the next five years."
This is on everything I think 78 billion in the parks is a little off
(That was sarcasm)

It’s not difficult to know how much they’ve spent in the parks and on the cruise line, capex numbers are readily available in their financial statements. Hint: It hasn’t been even half of the number I made up under The Bob’s. (I don’t have the spreadsheet in front of me at the moment to know exactly) But those numbers have also included “infrastructure” in recent years, like what they needed to do for FP+ and MDE, and new cruise ships have accounted for potentially $6 billion. So what’s actually gone into the parks is up for debate.

I also think that media analyst is smoking some really good if he thinks $lappie is going to approve $5 billion a year in the parks and cruise line for the next 5 years.

fradz

Sooo I just need to say... revenue =/= profit
But yeah I also want more investment in the parks, obviously.

1642581049559.png

It’s not difficult to know how much they’ve spent in the parks and on the cruise line, capex numbers are readily available in their financial statements.

1642581369730.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom