Disney Vacation Club- Taking the Plunge

RickEff

ZapperZ said:
Hum... this is nasty. I didn't realize that by saying in here that I'm interested in the DVC, I can get a PM spam by companies re-selling DVC and timeshares.

Zz.
I got that too. Only one though.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Greetings from the Happiest Place on Earth!

I'm in the middle of my WDW vacation and having a wonderful time. However, I thought I'd give an update on our DVC quest. After reading up on all the advice on here, and doing my own research on the matter, we went up to the DVC people and showed our interest in finding out "more" about it. We signed up for the tour, and was taken to Saratoga Springs DVC center.

We met with the sales rep who spent a lot of time explaining the whole concept, answered our questions, gave us the hard numbers for what we were looking for, and a tour of the Saratoga Springs facilities. We then had some time to ourselves to work out all the financial issues, and basically didn't see any "surprises" beyond what we had already had in mind when we walked in.

To make a long story short, you are now looking at the newest Disney Vacation Club members! :)

We signed up on the spot, put down the deposit, and once we received the paper work they will be mailing to us, we have 30 days to send in the down payment! We had the $8.00 discount per point that people were talking about, and they also gave us april as our anniversary date. This means that we have the full amount of points now, and will get a set of new ones in april. We just have to make sure we bank the ones we will not be using by the deadlines they indicated (yeah, the "banking" of points was one of the things I asked the sales rep. to really explain).

The nicest part was that when we walked out with the large DVC canvas bag, the cast members were give us "Welcome Home" wishes. I've heard about this, but it was still very nice to hear it.

So thanks to everyone here who took the time to give me the info on this. It has helped and I'm looking forward to spending many years as a DVC member.

Zz.

Aurora_25

Welcome home! Glad that you did all the research and then made a decision. My Husband and I did the same thing (only rarely talked to a sales agent- we did all the researching ourselves. :) I know you will enjoy your DVC Membership- our first time "home" is this November and we can't wait!

dflye

Congrats and Welcome Home!!!

My ex and I purchased our DVC membership in 95 while on our honeymoon, and boy am I glad that I ended up with the full rights after we parted ways! :lol: One of the few financial decisions from that relationship that my new wife approves of! :D

I think the best use I've made of my DVC membership is for large family reunions or groups of friends, where I rent a grand villa at OKW (if you've never seen the inside of one of these, or only seen the villas at the Boardwalk, all I can say is OMG you must stay there next time you need a space that big, if you can get it without using the 11 month window, as OKW was sold out umpteen years ago)

Also great for DVC members who stay more than a week or so in Florida, book a couple days at Vero Beach. Relatively short drive from Orlando, very relaxing beach-front destination. Also good for large groups if you can get one of the beach cottages (a completely stand-alone three bedroom house, with 3 decks, a porch, and thanks to a few hurricanes last year, is practically in the ocean now!) We usually end our Florida visits here to wind down before driving back to NC.

p.s. Depending upon how you financed your points (if you aren't planning on paying in full up front), you should look into any financing other than DVC, as their rates are outrageous! After we signed up initially, they had to redo the contract after they found out Washington state (where I was living at the time), had a limit on the interest rate allowed for mortgages, and they were WAY over it! :eek:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
dflye said:

My ex and I purchased our DVC membership in 95 while on our honeymoon, and boy am I glad that I ended up with the full rights after we parted ways! :lol: One of the few financial decisions from that relationship that my new wife approves of! :D

I think the best use I've made of my DVC membership is for large family reunions or groups of friends, where I rent a grand villa at OKW (if you've never seen the inside of one of these, or only seen the villas at the Boardwalk, all I can say is OMG you must stay there next time you need a space that big, if you can get it without using the 11 month window, as OKW was sold out umpteen years ago)

Also great for DVC members who stay more than a week or so in Florida, book a couple days at Vero Beach. Relatively short drive from Orlando, very relaxing beach-front destination. Also good for large groups if you can get one of the beach cottages (a completely stand-alone three bedroom house, with 3 decks, a porch, and thanks to a few hurricanes last year, is practically in the ocean now!) We usually end our Florida visits here to wind down before driving back to NC.

p.s. Depending upon how you financed your points (if you aren't planning on paying in full up front), you should look into any financing other than DVC, as their rates are outrageous! After we signed up initially, they had to redo the contract after they found out Washington state (where I was living at the time), had a limit on the interest rate allowed for mortgages, and they were WAY over it! :eek:

Thanks for the terrific advice.

We paid 50% down, and the rest of it over 3 years. We could have paid it over a year and get the 4.25% rate, but we went with the 9.75% over 3 years. We have talked this with a tax accountant and we should be able to use the interest payment as a deduction. So hopefully this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to using our first set of points during the first week of Jan 2006.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
dflye said:

Thanks for the terrific advice.

We paid 50% down, and the rest of it over 3 years. We could have paid it over a year and get the 4.25% rate, but we went with the 9.75% over 3 years. We have talked this with a tax accountant and we should be able to use the interest payment as a deduction. So hopefully this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to using our first set of points during the first week of Jan 2006.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom