Disney Trumpeting New Theme-Park Musical Plan

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney Trumpeting New Theme-Park Musical Plan

ANAHEIM (Orange County Register) -– Here's a multimillion dollar question: Can Disney build a bridge between two lucrative but separate worlds - big-budget musicals and theme parks? It intends to do just that. A live show called "Disney's Aladdin - A Musical Adventure," featuring top singer-dancer-actors and high-tech theatrical effects, opens Jan. 17 in California Adventure's 2,000-seat Hyperion Theater (previews began after Thanksgiving). For the first time, a producer and creative team from the classiest realms of the performing arts will bring a Broadway-quality experience to a domain where animatronics, hard-steel rides and cartoon characters traditionally provide the thrills. "We're embarking on a new kind of entertainment," said Anne Hamburger, Disney's executive vice president for creative entertainment for the company's parks and resorts, who was lured from the Tony-winning La Jolla Playhouse, where she was artistic director. Disney's gamble is the latest example in a growing trend of commingling high art and populist spectacle. Las Vegas offers Cirque du Soleil and the Blue Man Group as counterpoints to gambling and burlesque shows; the ever-expanding Guggenheim Museum takes art to new frontiers, and its galleries showcase exhibits (a world-class collection of motorcycles, for example) that challenge the age-old question, "What is art?"

"Aladdin," a 40-minute show based on Disney's popular 1992 animated film, promises a flying carpet and other feats of gee-whiz stagecraft, and it includes a new song, "To Be Free," by "Aladdin" composer Alan Menken. In making a brand-new (if abbreviated) musical from scratch, Disney is following the formula that has proved successful for its Broadway hits, assembling an illustrious creative team from the world of the performing arts. For "The Lion King," it was designer-director Julie Taymor, darling of theater's avant- garde. For "Aladdin," celebrated opera director Francesca Zambello has been hired for the helm; Lynne Taylor-Corbett, one of Broadway's hottest choreographers, is also on board. The show will be the first production under the supervision of Hamburger, who was instrumental in persuading Taylor-Corbett and Zambello to get involved. Like Taymor and Zambello, Hamburger is from the serious side of the divide between high art and popular art. She made her name in New York as a director of daringly innovative theater in nontraditional spaces. Why is Disney going for such rarified talent? "Because they can afford it," said Rick West, editor and publisher of Theme Park Adventure, an online publication that critiques theme park shows. "I think they feel their product is just as serious as 'Rent' or 'The Producers,' so why shouldn't they hire anyone willing to work on the projects if they are available?" Observers from the performing-arts world see the move as pragmatic. "Traditionally, Disney has often sought a level of quality (in its products) that's quite high. I think they've long ago figured out that it's the quality stuff that makes the most money in the long run," said Gilbert Cates, a respected producer-director who heads the Geffen Playhouse and frequently produces the annual Academy Awards broadcast. But what's in it for the artists, besides making the kind of money that those in traditional high art can only dream about? "In my heart, I'm a populist," said Zambello, one of the busiest directors in opera, known for her imaginative and often controversial reimaginings of traditional repertoire. "I'm interested in reaching the broadest number of people with my work. I think a lot of artists, in their heart of hearts, feel like I do. Not all of us are given the opportunity." Disney's "Aladdin" may be the right product at the right time - or another stumble for an organization trying hard to get out of a rut.

Besides those wonderful Angels, Michael Eisner's beleaguered corporation hasn't found a lot to cheer about lately. Persistent illness on one of its cruise ships. A postponed groundbreaking for a mainland Chinese Disneyland. A $140 million flop with the animated film "Treasure Planet." And - perhaps most shocking to followers of the company's fortunes - far smaller crowds than expected for its 2-year-old, $1.4 billion Anaheim theme park, California Adventure. "The company is disappointed with the attendance figures so far," Disney spokesman John McClintock acknowledged. There's one bright spot in Disney's universe: its theatrical shows. "Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King" and "Aida" have been reliable money-earners on Broadway and on the road. Perhaps that explains why Disney is willing to invest millions (company officials won't reveal how many) in its latest entertainment invention, the mini-musical. Getting people to come to California Adventure and giving them a satisfying experience without breaking the company bank are the musical's goals, Hamburger said. "I think everything we do needs to attract people to the park. Disney is a for-profit corporation. With (a not-for-profit theater) you can do something that's simply art for art's sake. But that's not the way it is at Disney. What I (produce) has to be good art, but it also has to make sense from a business point of view. For me, that's a really refreshing and exciting challenge." Will "Aladdin" boost attendance at California Adventure? "We regard 'Aladdin' as comparable in attractiveness to a major new ride," said Cynthia Harriss, president of Disneyland Resort. As for how long it runs, "We'll look at how many people who come to the park attend the show, and whether those numbers hold steady." McClintock said average "Aladdin" attendance would be more than 1,500. Would a super-successful "Aladdin" mean more Hyperion Theaters and more mini-musicals at other Disney theme parks? "If something is successful, we build on it," Harriss said, although she added that Disney has no plans for more large live-performance venues or "Aladdin"-type park shows. Judging by audience reactions at previews last week, the jury is still out. "It's awesome," said Melissa Hand, 34, of Tempe, Ariz., who saw "Aladdin" with her husband and four children. "The effects were all great - the elephant, the magic carpet." Jennifer Fink, 27, of Salt Lake City was more measured in her praise. "It's pretty good. It's no 'Beauty and the Beast' yet. It needs some work. But it's got lots of potential."

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
'Aladdin' Strives for a Little Magic

'Aladdin' Strives for a Little Magic

ANAHEIM (LA Times) -- Few theme-park shows rise above the level of mediocre summer stock theater. Ten, maybe 15 minutes of poorly sung or lip-synced pop or show tunes, padded with some awkward dialogue, and that's it. But a new musical based on Disney's "Aladdin" at California Adventure is raising the standard for theme park entertainment. This "Aladdin" packs six songs -- five from the movie and one original tune -- into a lively 40-minute show at the park's 2,000-seat Hyperion Theater. Whispers from Disney employees suggest that the company hopes this production will follow "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King" to Broadway some day. It's not ready. This show lacks the splendor of "Beauty and the Beast" and the innovation of "The Lion King." Nor does it capture the frenetic enthusiasm of the animated original. And the warmth of a live orchestra would have taken a harsh edge off this over-amplified production. Yet despite its shortcomings, "Aladdin" rises far above any other musical production at a local theme park.

The show follows the plot of the movie, with a few cuts -- notably two beloved sidekicks, Abu the monkey and Rajah the tiger. The abbreviated plot leads to a few awkward transitions, including a clumsy introduction for the heroine, Princess Jasmine. Most problematic, though, is the show's treatment of the Genie. It is unreasonable to expect any actor to match Robin Williams' bravura performance in the film. Nevertheless, for "Aladdin" to work, the character of the Genie must come across as larger than life. The actor in that role on Dec. 8 (during opening weekend) played gamely, eliciting several laughs from the audience, but the cavernous hall swallowed much of his performance. This character demands the production and design creativity that brought a savanna of animals to life in "The Lion King." But "Aladdin" never offers anything so visionary. Indeed, after actors playing Aladdin and Jasmine climbed aboard their magic carpet for the show's romantic ballad, the two disappeared below stage level and were replaced by a small model dragged across a backdrop -- a cheap effect that elicited derisive guffaws. Fortunately, the model was quickly replaced with a full-size carpet, carrying Aladdin and Jasmine into and above the audience. Gasps of delight and cheers replaced the laughter, and the scene was saved -- except for those sharp-eyed patrons who noticed that the Aladdin on the carpet was an Asian actor, while the Aladdin who had been on stage was white. Once again, clumsy or thoughtless direction undermines the show. Still, the hard-working performers and the delightful source material overcome the production's limited vision. The Genie and a cleverly played magic carpet get their share of laughs. Rousing songs from the movie, including "Prince Ali," never fail to entertain. And whenever someone hops on that carpet, the production literally soars. The full house that watched the show left entertained, though not quite wowed. With a few tweaks, this show could grow into a much-needed reason to buy a ticket for California Adventure.

BRER STITCH

APPLAUSE APPLAUSE!!!

:sohappy:

I hope Disney keeps up it's fascination with the Stage Musical.
Not only is it very profitable for them (if successful), but it keeps the excitement of its stories and characters alive beyond the movies, books, and parks!

Disney's theatrical projects have also introduced a whole new audience to live theater. People all over the world are able to see and enjoy their favorite Disney characters "alive" on stage right in their own home towns!

Seeing the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway has made a believer out of me. There is certainly much more imagination to go around in future shows, like Aladdin and others!

That their Park productions are heading in this direction can only be a GOOD thing! :cool:

goofyguy

I have a friend that got to see a dress rehersal of the show. She said that it was absolutely fantastic. I'll try to see if I can get her to write up a description.

pheneix

This show is destined to fail with the way management is judging it. I haven't seen the show, so I can't speak of it's quality (the people I have spoken to about it have either loved it or hated it, no middle ground at all), but I do know that they are judging the show's success solely on how many people are attracted to it, they have even said as much in the article. Not only that, but the attendance the expect for the show is not sustainable with the current amount of people that DCA draws (a shade under 10,000 a day).

ToTBellHop

First of all, disney has always measured the success of attractions based on how many guests go through each attraction's gates daily. Walt did this, and he kept attractions that were popular, replaced others. So it is not surprising that park managers are using the same frame of mind now. As for the show itself, it did go down for a few changes recently, so it is different now (I don't know what the changes were, however). Keep in mind, this attraction is still in soft opening until January 17th; they are still tweaking it. As for getting 1,500 guests per show, I fail to see why this is not possible. On weekdays, three showings are presented daily (four on weekends). Why is it impossible for 4,500 of the average 10,000 guests to see it at one point or another during the day--especially if it ends up being a great show? All I know is that Hollywood Pictures Backlot has been packed over the two holiday weeks with guests waiting to see this show. We shall see how this pattern continues during the slow season, starting Monday and heading through March 13 (hours are extended starting March 14). Anyway, I could easily see this show having that many guests each showing (again, if it is executed well). Consider the fact that most guests to the Disneyland Resort are locals, who do not take multi-day trips to the Resort like we see at Disney World. While on my six day trip in March, I will go to each park daily (park hopper), so I will probably not see Aladdin daily, but someone who spends one day at the resort every once in a while is more likely to. Regardless, I, too, have heard mixed reviews of this show thus far. I can only hope Disney fixes most of the problems this show has seen, many of which are just plain stupid, like having the stunt actors look nothing like the other actors. I guess I'll have to be my own judge in March...

DCA Fan

Time to rant....:lol:
Although I haven't seen the show, I've seen pictures from many views of each scene, and I'm going to rate the show on this stance.

1) Opening. Big black screen. BIG black screen. You know, they could have used projections, a group of puppets. What do we get? A storyteller and ONE freaking puppet. Does not draw the viewer's interest.

2) Cave of Wonder: What the heck? Why are there EGYPTIAN artifacts in an ARABIAN cave? I mean, why couldn't we use Arabian artifacts.

3) The Palace: Why oh why is the set so bland? Just a few columns.

4) Misc: 40 Minutes is WAY too long for this show, especially in a theater w/ no bathrooms. It is not Broadway-quality.

Good stuff:
1) Multi ethnic cast
2) Handicapped people in cast
3) Magic Carpet
4) Actors w/ personality

I remember reading an article that the Hamburger wanted a "theater production" b/c "ppl who go to theme parks don't have access to theaters." :confused: Sorry? What? People who has $40+ probably could have spent it in a theater show if they wanted to. Meet Las Vegas. The cast producing this is quite impressive, if only they had used their talents better.

The Hamburger also said she wanted theater quality like no other. Remember the days before she came to DL? We had the good stuff, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King Parade, Animazement, and we took a downhill dive from there.

pheneix

>>>Why is it impossible for 4,500 of the average 10,000 guests to see it at one point or another during the day--especially if it ends up being a great show?<<<

Because that means that only half of the park's guests cares about the show on days when that half does not keep the show running. With DLR's local intensive crowds, this show will get old very fast, and it is designed to be playing for several years.

ToTBellHop

Yes, it could get old very quickly, that's why I said my argument would only work if the show was well-done. The 3D shows stay popular because they are well-done (they are E-Rides). There obviously needs to be a reason to see the show multiple times for it to stay popular for any lengthy period of time, and I leave that to Disney. My point is that, if done right, this show could see 1500 guests in a showing. We'll have to wait until the official opening to make any real judgements. One last note: There are 25,000,000 people in the Los Angeles area, MUCH larger than Orlando (much larger than NYC even...)--no shortage of people to see a GOOD show...if it is good. That is why locals drive these parks.

pheneix

>>>The 3D shows stay popular because they are well-done (they are E-Rides).<<<

At DLR the 3D shows have already quit attracting major crowds. The only reason the Muppets and A Bugs Life get the crowds that they do are because they are still relatively new. Honey I Shrunk... has already become another problem in Tomorrowland.

ToTBellHop

Muppets and Bugs Life have been around 2 years (as of February 8) and are still popular; Honey, I Shrunk the Audience has been around for what, 8 years? Still proves my point if it has been popular most of that time. They could easily keep a well done stage production popular for a couple years (about how long it is currently slated to stay). Look at The Lion King on Broadway! Granted this will NEVER be anywhere near its calibre, you can still do it...and with this show's budget, they should have been able to do it...this was not a cheap show to produce

wellie4

Aladdin Musical

Just wanted to say I've seen the show. Saw it on New Year's Eve. Obviously the park was jammed with people and there was a very long line to see the show. The cast members were passing out "fast pass" tickets for shows later in the evening. I thought it was well done. Personally, I didn't see it as a way to bring a "Broadway - style" show to DCA. I thought it was more of a testing ground to see if they could make Aladdin into a full Musical show similar to Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. (I've seen both of these as well.) It was very much like Beauty and the Beast. It definitely would need some more fixing to go to Broadway and 40 minutes was the longest someone could sit and watch it in the theme park. But if you're there, it's a great addition to the park and worth seeing.

SL 1993R

I saw the show New Years day during the soft opening, and also last weekend. The show, IMO, is very good quality for a park show. The quality is better than some of the shows I saw at Epcot and Animal Kingdom. During the soft opening, no problem getting the free tickets into the Hyperion. Last weekend, all the tickets were gone within the 2 hours of the parks opening.... They had a very long standby line waiting to get into the middle level.. the crowds are showing this to be a hit for DCA...

AdLibSean

I have not seen the show, so my opinion probably doesn't matter that much, but I have seen video clips and photos of the production. While the idea for the show itself is ingenious the execution of it appears to be a different story. I must applaud some aspects that work first though. The carpet flight and the elephant look incredible. I honestly had no idea how they would achieve these, but they looks pretty darn good. The cast (from video clips) appears to be quite talented and the costumes translate from the movie to the stage quite well. (Except the carpet...) As a Theatre Design & Tech major though, my biggest qualm would have to be the set.

Agrabah- Looks like someone painted oversized ceral boxes and stood them on end to look like buildings. I like the utilization of of sets on the side of the stage (characters poking out of windows, etc.) but it just looks too plain and mundane. I would've done a little more detail and still- in keeping with the design, been fantastical rather than historically of "film" correct, but it needs something more.

The Palace- Like the previous post said, just a bunch of columns! I saw no elegant elephant throne or hint thereof. Very plain, could have done MUCH more with that.

Cave of Wonders- Not a real problem here. I liked the "Friend Like Me" staircase, but I saw the number and it looks like, again A LOT more could have been done. Maybe various small set peices, indicating memorable sequences from the moive.

The only set I enjoyed was the carpet/balcony set. The huge moon with the shadow of the palace is beautiful and looks phenomenal on stage- thats when the columns look appropriate.
**One final note- I HATE the pictures that I've seen of the ending- HATE THEM. What the crap are they standing on? A cart with a tasseled umbrella and fan-like palm frawns or something of the like providing a backdrop? It looks ugly, and out of place. The carpet flying out over the audience would've been much more dramatic and more in keeping with the movie. And I agree, the beginning looks sparse, though I love the star fiber optics framing the Proscenium arch. VERY NEAT. I suspect that a lot of the problems I have with the set are due to budget concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial concepts for the sets were much more impressive than they turned out to be. Seems to be the norm now with Disney attractions... thanks for reading.

Lhriangel

I can't believe I didn't respond to this yet.. must have been busy. Anyway it is an amazingly great show. I don't think 40 minutes is too long, the quality is amazing and the performers are GREAT.

(you guys do know that Jasmine used to do the new MMC right? lol... I read an article about that somewhere).

Anyways I hope that they do more great shows like this at DCA... (as long as they don't take away this one LOL).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom