Disney Parks Wiki including Historical Information and Rumors

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
So I figured I'd make a thread and see what traction or interest I would receive on this topic. After viewing @MisterPenguin's tracker and finding myself having to go and scroll through a seemingly endless stream of posts trying to track down information from insiders, I was wondering if there would be any feasible way to create a Wiki page on the parks and upcoming rumors.

I believe a Wiki would be helpful not only as a supplement to the tracker, but as a way to compile some Disney history as well. I see this as an idea that could see a marriage of things similar to Yesterland, Wikipedia pages, and the Rumor Tracker. I'm also unsure if this is something that would have to be done through permission of Moderators. I'm not trying to create some rival entity that steals information from this site, but that works with it and the users here.

Is the rumor tracker enough? Would this turn into a logistical nightmare? Would anyone want to get involved? Just throwing this idea out there and waiting for some responses, thanks!

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
Are you trying to do an actual wiki page? If so, this site exists and you can just add to it.
I was aware of that site, but unsure of the extent of it. I'm trying to see if I couldn't compile something but that could welcome information from insiders here and give them proper credit. I'm unsure how that Wiki would react if I start adding pages linking various insiders from WDWMagic as to why I am saying I should build a Brazil page.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We'd need someone with the savvy to do some basic coding to make the wiki pages look nice and behave nicely and to create standard templates. Then you'd need a group of trusted people who will kill the trolls and others who'd mess with it or restrict editing rights. That group would have to agree on what is and isn't inside information or mere rumored hearsay, otherwise it'd fill up with a whole lot of front-line CMs and bus drivers' misinformation.

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
We'd need someone with the savvy to do some basic coding to make the wiki pages look nice and behave nicely and to create standard templates. Then you'd need a group of trusted people who will kill the trolls and others who'd mess with it or restrict editing rights. That group would have to agree on what is and isn't inside information or mere rumored hearsay, otherwise it'd fill up with a whole lot of front-line CMs and bus drivers' misinformation.
I am looking to get into this project as I just received a degree in Information Technology, so I not only see this as a great project because of my love for Disney, but along with my love for coding and technology.

I agree with needing the ability to restrict editing rights. I figure I would have to find a group of people to get involved with this who are trusted and likely active on this board. Thank you for your input.

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
I think one of the main points of this is to cut through some of the most answered questions about a project and provide a place where you can not only learn about current and past attractions, but somewhere you can keep up with the status on an upcoming project and have standard questions answered: where will it be located, how long is the attraction, about when will it open, etc. And to fill this out only using trusted insiders with corroborating information makes it even more reliable.

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
@wdwmagic is there any input or guidance that you can provide? If I were to create this, it would have to be in conjunction with WDWMagic as all of the info would come from insiders here. I'm unsure how something like this would work... would a wiki be a problem if it were a separate site? Should this instead be done like some things here where I just allocate a bunch of posts and edit them when adding a page or linking something?

EDIT: This is a very preliminary line of questioning as well -- I am not ready to get something up and running now!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
@wdwmagic is there any input or guidance that you can provide? If I were to create this, it would have to be in conjunction with WDWMagic as all of the info would come from insiders here. I'm unsure how something like this would work... would a wiki be a problem if it were a separate site? Should this instead be done like some things here where I just allocate a bunch of posts and edit them when adding a page or linking something?

EDIT: This is a very preliminary line of questioning as well -- I am not ready to get something up and running now!
This is really one of my long terms goals to have here on WDWMAGIC.

Every single attraction, restaurant, shop has its own page.

All of the related news, photos etc goes into those pages, and I am starting to build templates into each to have standardized information. (eg https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/haunted-mansion.htm)

Problem I have is just not enough time to get all the info together and added into the system.

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
This is really one of my long terms goals to have here on WDWMAGIC.

Every single attraction, restaurant, shop has its own page.

All of the related news, photos etc goes into those pages, and I am starting to build templates into each to have standardized information. (eg https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/haunted-mansion.htm)

Problem I have is just not enough time to get all the info together and added into the system.

Is there any way that I could help in this endeavor? I'm not asking for administrator rights or anything -- Is there a way I could be provided with the HTML/CSS/JavaScript or what have you of your templates, and then I would fill out and complete the information, and send finished code to you for publishing. I would never have to touch the back-end of the site, you could go over and approve everything, we could work out some sort of process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom