Disney newborn

d'Isigny

Original Poster
We took our DD when she was 6 weeks old- had a great time. Took DS#1 when he was 8 weeks- had a great time. Took DS#2 at 10 months- had a great time. Just remember (like many others have stated) don't be disappointed if you don't get to do everything you want to do. The pace is much, much slower. But, I must admit-- it gave me more time to appreciate my trips to the world. And, I had an excuse to go back to the resort and nap every day!!!

DO take advantage of the Baby Care Centers. They are magnificent!

Have a wonderful trip!

yep...already have my mind set for the slower pace. The past 4 trips... I have been commando...this will slow me down and allow me to really take in the atmosphere...

I just love being there

d'Isigny

Original Poster
I think it depends on when you go. If it is during the cooler times of the year, and you can manage, then yes. However, I would not go during the summer. It is too hot for an adult, let alone a little baby.

most likely summer... but I duck in and out of the heat constantly...

thrupaytonseyes

We went this past Sept when DS2 was 3 months old. Had a great time. It was amazing to see DS2 reaction to the characters. Some of the best pics with that. He would just stare at them, then smile. He fell asleep on the safari! DS1 did too when he was 20 mo old. How they can is beyond me!!!!

Some tips(most already said):

-Use the Bjorn or similar
-If staying at a resort that doesn't have fredge in the room as standard, request one! If breastfeeding and pumping you will need somewhere to store the milk. If formula feeding may want to refrigerate that too...not too sure as I have never used formula. We got the fridge free of charge b/c it was for medical purposes. We have to travel with our DS1 Oripred due to his asthma and penchant for croup and it needs to be keep in a fridge. Of course, don't do as I did and leave the milk when you check out. We were in MK when I realized I left it and my DS med and had to call the resort for them to hold it until we got back to pick it up. UGH!
-Make sure baby is well covered
-My rec for sunscreen is the Aveeno Baby. I love Aveeno products for the kids. It works great for my son with eczema.
-Your own stroller is a MUST!
-Baby can go in the pool but CAN NOT be dunked under. Something about the pressure. They shouldn't be dunked until 6 months old. Learned that in our Mommy & Me swim class!
-Slow pace
-Enjoy!!

We had the sit n stand stroller which worked GREAT with the baby and 4 yo. Ours is the one from www.onestepahead.com that converts from a double stroller to a sit n stand. It was great for the night of the MNSSHP. It easily turns into the double stroller so we just converted it when DS1 was ready to fall asleep!

If I can think of anything else to add...I am so sleep deprived still I can't think of it all...I will post again!

Going again in April for DS1 5th bday! Can't wait!!!!!!!! DS2 will be 10 months for this trip.

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Hmm...like the double... have a DS that will be 3 and I'm quite sure...won't want to walk if he can help it

thanks for all your help...

We went this past Sept when DS2 was 3 months old. Had a great time. It was amazing to see DS2 reaction to the characters. Some of the best pics with that. He would just stare at them, then smile. He fell asleep on the safari! DS1 did too when he was 20 mo old. How they can is beyond me!!!!

Some tips(most already said):

-Use the Bjorn or similar
-If staying at a resort that doesn't have fredge in the room as standard, request one! If breastfeeding and pumping you will need somewhere to store the milk. If formula feeding may want to refrigerate that too...not too sure as I have never used formula. We got the fridge free of charge b/c it was for medical purposes. We have to travel with our DS1 Oripred due to his asthma and penchant for croup and it needs to be keep in a fridge. Of course, don't do as I did and leave the milk when you check out. We were in MK when I realized I left it and my DS med and had to call the resort for them to hold it until we got back to pick it up. UGH!
-Make sure baby is well covered
-My rec for sunscreen is the Aveeno Baby. I love Aveeno products for the kids. It works great for my son with eczema.
-Your own stroller is a MUST!
-Baby can go in the pool but CAN NOT be dunked under. Something about the pressure. They shouldn't be dunked until 6 months old. Learned that in our Mommy & Me swim class!
-Slow pace
-Enjoy!!

We had the sit n stand stroller which worked GREAT with the baby and 4 yo. Ours is the one from www.onestepahead.com that converts from a double stroller to a sit n stand. It was great for the night of the MNSSHP. It easily turns into the double stroller so we just converted it when DS1 was ready to fall asleep!

If I can think of anything else to add...I am so sleep deprived still I can't think of it all...I will post again!

Going again in April for DS1 5th bday! Can't wait!!!!!!!! DS2 will be 10 months for this trip.

thrupaytonseyes

This is the stroller we have...

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Id=85184&categoryId=85219&subCategoryId=86216

as a double stroller:
13129_1.jpg

as a sit n stand:
13130_1.jpg

and it converts between the 2 so easily! And it has a parent tray that holds 2 drinks which is key to me. I dislike strollers that don't have a parent tray!!!!

d'Isigny

Original Poster
has anyone taken a newborn into philharmagic or any of the theatrical shows? i was wondering if they would be too loud...

Sadiebird

has anyone taken a newborn into philharmagic or any of the theatrical shows? i was wondering if they would be too loud...

I've opted to not take my son (2 1/2) into Philharmagic because of the sound level. I've always thought that show and Muppetvision were too loud. We took him to see the Doodlebops this past fall and I was surprised at how loud that was and may not have taken him to see them if I had known in advance that it was going to be that loud.

WDWmom64055

I haven't read all the posts, but I'll suggest

that you find a reliable teenage girl to take along. My friend did this for a family when we were in high school. The teenager can sit and hold the baby while you ride, take the other kids to the bathroom, run to get fastpasses, etc.

The agreement my friend had was that the family provided her with a park hopper and paid her room, meals, and airfare. She had to take spending money.

In return, she was free to go to the parks alone after the family was settled at their hotel for the night, and on their "off" day she had the whole day to tour alone.

It would be expensive, but it might be a life saver!

Mrs.PhD

We took babies to WDW (a few times) but the youngest was 7 months old. That is a great age since they can sit up themselves.

I think a sling would be good for a baby that young, it keeps the baby close to you, not as out in the open as a Bjorn and you can nurse in it.

The hard thing about planning a trip ahead of time for a baby is you don't know what the baby is going to be like before they are born. Since it isn't your 1st is my guess they will be easy going. Heck you don't even know how old they will be if they are born early or late.

thrupaytonseyes

We took DS into Philharmagic on his trip at 3 months. It was the perfect place to nurse him. The noise didn't bother him at all. And he even fell asleep while nursing!!!! Of course this kid has slept through a Mets game, high school basketball game, the safari at AK, the list goes on! We also took him to Lion King and he was fine with it.

As a side note, I used a sling instead of the Bjorn for this last trip 2 weeks ago(10 months old now). I really wish I used a sling from the beginning!!! I liked it so much more than the Bjorn and it was a lot better on my shoulders and back!

d'Isigny

Original Poster
We took DS into Philharmagic on his trip at 3 months. It was the perfect place to nurse him. The noise didn't bother him at all. And he even fell asleep while nursing!!!! Of course this kid has slept through a Mets game, high school basketball game, the safari at AK, the list goes on! We also took him to Lion King and he was fine with it.

As a side note, I used a sling instead of the Bjorn for this last trip 2 weeks ago(10 months old now). I really wish I used a sling from the beginning!!! I liked it so much more than the Bjorn and it was a lot better on my shoulders and back!

thanks, I'll pass that information along... the mother is concerned...
personally, I don't think it would be a problem...

Carolyn1717

Defineately bring your own stroller. It will be much more comfortable for the baby. Remember it is still extremely hot in Sept here, and I would not suggest using a rain poncho to cover the carriage. They are plastic and will make it too hot. The hottest part of the day for us is usually around 4 PM. I would suggest having the baby indoors during that time of day. Way too hot. Other than that, going with a baby is really not a big deal, and you don't have to chase them...big advantage.

dcpalumni

disney with newborn

this will be my first trip back to disney since the end of my last college program working there and left in may. i got pregnant with my first child right before leaving and am due any day now. we are checking into fort wilderness next weekend and i'm praying that i have the baby in time to go because i cant imagine being there this pregnant. my last few days there were miserable since i was going through the "morning sickness" but all day long and spent most of my time playing at the parks with friends, well i was very sick while they were enjoying the rides, food, and etc. i'm not a bit worried about taking a brand new baby to disney since i interacted with many parents of brand new babies while working there and witnessed their experience there. my only concern is that i won't get to ride all of the big rides unless my family takes the baby. i've got a friend meeting me there that i worked with to go to the parks with me. i know that there will be some risks possible but also know how clean disney keeps all areas and know my limitations. the key to disney with a baby is to take it slow and enjoy the sights. since i have been on every ride at least 200 times each, i'm excited to finally get to experience it with a child and know that riding expedition everest for the 202nd time is not as important as taking my child on it's a small world for the first time. just praying that the baby comes soon enough to go haha. anyways, have a magical day and if you have any questions about anything related to disney world feel free to email me at dcpalumni@hotmail.com, i do know pretty much everything there is to know after working there for 9 months

Aggie Mom

Most of my suggestions would be in line with the ohter listed already: sling/Baby Bjorn, slow pace, nurse whereever you happen to be rather than hunting down the baby care center. Just do what ever you can to avoid keeping the baby in the carseat all day long.

I'm not sure that I would plan it, though. My first son had colic and it peaked right around that age. It would have been an absolute nightmare. My second would have been ok.

dcpalumi--two thoughts for you:
1) if baby isn't already here, check on the area hospitals, whether they take your insurance, have a copy of your medical records. If you haven't gone into labor by then, the walking may well do it for you. I'm surprised, though--my OBs always said no travel more than an hour by car in the last month.
2)read up on what goes on with your body post-partum. I won't post details, here, but it can be unbelievably messy, sometimes painful, and would be be very difficult to manage while at WDW. And then there is the pain/mess associated with your um, top half, whether you decide to nurse or formula feed. That first week or two isn't pretty.

perrych

Here are my suggestions:
1) Decide where you will be mainly going on this trip. If you are staying in the parks, do NOT take the bus. If your child gets upset or needs a nap or you need to go back to your room for any reason, it can take up to an hour. If you can, drive to the parks. At least that way, you also will have the ability to carry more things with you in your car. Or alternatively ...
2) Stay in one of the monorail hotels. We stayed at the contemporary which is great because it is a short walk to the MK and is the first stop on the monorail leaving the MK. It is also great to go to Epcot. Not the most amazing decor or pool, but we spend most of our time in the parks.
3) Do NOT take your newborn if the child is sick. We made this mistake - thought, "He'll be fine after we get there." Nope. It wasn't a horrible trip, but after I got sick, and we truly tested the hospitality of the hotel staff (they came through wonderfully), I would say - without hesitation - don't take a sick baby.
4) Only plan your day based on what you MUST see before you leave. Kids have a way of changing priorities.
5) Think very, very seriously about how you will carry your child in the long lines. Most rides will make you ditch your stroller before you get in line.

dcpalumni

thanks for the recommendations

i really appreciate all of your recommendations! i'm starting to think i'm crazy for wanting to take a newborn to disney but since i have such a good background with disney, i dont really have many fears about it. i still have lots of friends who work there so i definitely want to show my baby off. i also know how clean disney keeps the parks. after working there recently for 9 months at animal kingdom and spending every second possible when i wasn't working at the parks, i could get around there with my eyes closed. since my family doesn't care about the parks anymore, i have a friend who i used to work with actually meeting me at disney to go park-hopping while my family enjoys the resorts and downtown disney. i know that i won't be able to ride or do as much with the baby but that isn't a big deal since we know every twist and turn of every single attraction so it won't be like we're missing much. however, i do plan on having my family take the baby while i enjoy extra magic hours since it will be easier to get on the bigger attractions and the baby will definitely need a break. i think my biggest question though is how much clothes should i take for the baby? the baby has a full closet but i'm wondering if i need to run out and buy a few lighter outfits for the trip even though i will definitely be stocking up while i'm there haha. i live in tennessee and snowing for the last 4 hours straight this morning but i checked the weather for disney next week and the coldest it's supposed to be there is like 55.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom