Disney Must Buy a Video Game Company

What do you think is a good idea?

• For Disney to make their own new video game studio

• For Disney to buy a video game studio. ex. Ubisoft or Valve.

• For Disney to stick to the way they have been doing things.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
I believe since Disney has over time shuttered their video game studios and franchises it needs to happen. Video game franchises can rack up a billion+ in sales in 1 day (GTA V), and then they also can have tons of highly profitable side-games with the right leadership and talent.

Everyone is willing to sell for the right price, who knew Minecraft was going to happen, so I think Disney should buy Valve. The company understands what gamers want, they have a platform. Disney can also expand Valve to make 'Disney games' with Valve to perhaps revive the outstanding concept that is 'Epic Mickey'and to create new original games, and IP based games for Marvel, Star Wars, and, and occasionally tie them up to upcoming film releases. The Incredibles could have a very very good story-based game. Not like a DS Lite game, but a true game. There is so much potential. If Disney doesn't do that then they should at least get serious in the industry, or make their own perhaps in conjunction with Lucasfilm or Pixar. Disney is doing pretty good in the phone space, but that's no the way to go about it. That's a nice addition, but Disney is so much better than having their only serious games on mobile (which Disney's are not serious, to begin with).

If Disney wants higher quality games specifically or does not want to have Steam also involved then the Valve games department is probably not worth it to buy, but there are so many other great studios that they could buy. Even EA would not be a bad idea, but they would have to change up leadership, and the culture (something I doubt Disney is willing to do), but again, there are plenty of other great studios like Ubisoft.

Licensing can be safer, except it can also be a huge problem to potential profits of beloved franchises when the maker handles them poorly or takes it in the wrong direction. Look no further than Battlefront II.

Even if we go back to Valve, a Portal 3 would be a monster hit if done right, and on top of that, it's a strong enough 'concept' to get its own movie or theme park attraction under the right people. I say 'concept' because worlds like that are difficult to create like Tron and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, so there's value in that. After all, Disney is all about synergy, right? And Universal is capitalizing on this on the theme park front with Nintendo. Disney can end up winning in absolutely every category if they do it right.

Just for theme parks specifically, could you imagine going through these worlds based on already established IPs? That's what could happen if Disney has large enough franchises by acquiring and creating new ones.
b395f30d9810ea58866d8208bbbef4c9--epic-mickey-awesome-games.jpg

8463277443_d8eb529a98_b.jpg
Portal_2_paint.jpg

F4Nuka1.jpg

Disney has to expand into new 'media' areas to stay on top. They've done it with cable with ABC, and now that cable is becoming less and less, they're switching to streaming. Video games should already be a mega player. Disney is already a massive player in the field, but they have not gone after the potential. I'm talking incredible potential as has never been seen. It needs to be viewed alongside movies or parks and resorts in terms of importance. It will obviously be smaller, but they need to shoot far far higher with it.

EDIT: Here's actually a great read that I just found:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/30/disney-need-video-games-in-its-portfolio-commentary.html

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Why should Disney buy a developer when they shut down the one producing their big money maker in Disney Infinity? Besides, Valve is more than just developing video games nowadays. Also Ubisoft is in the middle of trying to stop another company from attempting a "hostile takeover" by buying back their own shares...if they dont want Vivendi to take over, what makes you think they'd want Disney? Disney is better off licensing their games and hoping for the best.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Why should Disney buy a developer when they shut down the one producing their big money maker in Disney Infinity? Besides, Valve is more than just developing video games nowadays. Also Ubisoft is in the middle of trying to stop another company from attempting a "hostile takeover" by buying back their own shares...if they dont want Vivendi to take over, what makes you think they'd want Disney? Disney is better off licensing their games and hoping for the best.
But why hope for the best when you can be the best. With the right leadership and strategy, a Disney gaming company can completely dominate. So much wasted potential. Tell me you wouldn't want to play a true Star Wars game with scale that rivals GTAV?

As for Valve and Ubisoft, Valve's main entity is Steam (which is a valuable asset nonetheless), but I'm talking about expanding the studio itself too. Valve would have to double their studio to add on new Disney series like a new Star Wars series, etc. to go along with Portal and many others. But I was just using those as examples. There are plenty of other great studios that Disney could buy, restructure, and expand into a

Licensing is smart for some sectors like toys, but video games for too long has not been viewed on the same level as cinema. It should be treated as a studio that can grow to be as big as the movie studio. It doesn't have to be (and probably will not be) that big, but it should be a top priority for the future to expand to. And Disney has the power to do that. So much wasted IP that Disney has. It's just wasted. Not even just being messed up by EA, but the fact that beloved characters have not gotten a true game treatment, or beloved video game franchises like Portal have not made it into a theme park baffles my mind. There is so much potential. Look bigger.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
But why hope for the best when you can be the best. With the right leadership and strategy, a Disney gaming company can completely dominate. So much wasted potential. Tell me you wouldn't want to play a true Star Wars game with scale that rivals GTAV?

Because game studios are expendable assets, it's not like a movie studio where you can churn out dud after dud with a hit sprinkled in and survive for years on end. Your games can make millions but if you're not actually turning a profit, you close. Again, Disney Infinity was a huge hit for Disney, the whole toys to life concept was popular amongst children...then Disney stopped making the game and producing the toys.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Because game studios are expendable assets, it's not like a movie studio where you can churn out dud after dud with a hit sprinkled in and survive for years on end. Your games can make millions but if you're not actually turning a profit, you close. Again, Disney Infinity was a huge hit for Disney, the whole toys to life concept was popular amongst children...then Disney stopped making the game and producing the toys.
Well, for starters, movie companies should not approve massive budgets for bad films...

But anyway, I still think you are missing the point. Think about AAA caliber single IP games, or a 'Portal level' 'proper' take on Epic Mickey, or even new franchises built on IPs like that. I think Disney Infinity (crossover style games) is very well worth their time, it clearly was while it lasted, but unfortunately, I don't think that should anchor a 150B company's video games. Solid titles like a GTA series are what do that, and then plenty of other games (and Disney would need a far larger studio to handle the sheer amount of their properties) really need to be taken into account as important but okay if they fizzle out. The main series can't fail (theoretically Star Wars and others), but minor games like that new movie Wii game can, or they could continue licensing for many of those games. The important part is that obvious revenue is produced by Disney to sustain the maximum value of their properties while keeping them to a very, very high standard.

Even using Disney Infinity as an example is frankly misguided because that's not what I am talking about. Nevertheless, it was still a silly decision to shutter Avalanche. A restructuring and hiring of talent are what it needed. Disney not having faith in their product and all is not good because as with EA, you see the downsides. It also is an issue when you could be doing so so much more than you are already doing. Disney could easily triple their PC gaming & console presence for larger scaled games and they would not have a problem at all. It's the potential that I am afraid they are not realizing.

I think Disney is arguably the best-positioned company to have a dominant video game company like their movie studios are to everyone else.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Disney flat out buying a game company just cause also runs the risk of that company folding due to costs of developing a game or Disney deciding the console market isnt the best source of revenue. They've done it once before, it's why they primarily develop mobile games. They've closed up Disney Interactive Studios and LucasArts, which ended up cancelling Star Wars 1313 (a single player game). If they need a juggernaut to develop a game on the scale of GTA...just license whatever IPs to Rockstar and let them do their thing, but if you want Disney to own them....we end up losing GTA and if the game they make afterward flops....they close.

Pixieish

Disney Infinity was canceled because of infighting between departments. They couldn't agree on basically anything with regards to licensing, target markets, etc. etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom