Disney-MGM Studios Backlot Tour

Richboy

Original Poster
It has been years since I have rode the MGM Backlot Tour, probably not since the mid-90's. I was wondering what aspects of the tour have changed. I know Resedential Street is destroyed, and the ride through New York Street has been minimilzed. Does the tram still go through the production bungalows, the wardrobe department, and the camera, props, lighting, and scene shops? I know that because of the new Stunt Show, the backlot tour had to be reduced, but I still don't understand what they kept and what they took away. Could anyone give me a detailed description of the ride as it is presntly (September 2005) This summer, I went to the Disneyland Paris resort for the first time. I loved the Disneyland park, but the Studios park left much to be desired. While I enjoyed the Studio 1 building, and the slightly-modified Rock N Roller Coaster enjoyable, the Backlot tour was embarrising. It was horrible. I'm going to WDW next month, and I hope to ride the Backlot Tour. But, i don't want to waste my time on a repeat of the Paris version of the ride. I hope this classic ride has kept what makes it so great.

bgraham34

I know Residential street is either gone or mostly gone. No longer is there a walk thru to see the production of the lottery. But I am not really sure what is left.

LongballMG

Shuttle Route

Here is the exact Shuttle Route as of 08/19/2005 (My last day as a CM)

Load
LMA Practice Area
Pearl Harbor Airplanes
Costuming Tunnel
a)Costuming
b)Scenic Shop
Boneyard 1
Cat Canyon
Walt's Plane
LMA underpass and Archway
Boneyard 2
Turnaround Loop at NY Street
Unload

Sad to say that the quality of the tour has significantly decreased over the years but guests still come in droves to see Cat Canyon.

Any other questions, please ask.

Michael

sleepybear

I hate to say this, but don't get your hopes up. It's up to you whether you want to ride it or not, but I was there last October and was astonished by how poor it was.

This a quote from my trip report written a day after I returned:
And the backstage tour was pretty sorry. The CM actually pointed out a car from "The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag." This is Disney! Surely they have better props than that!

I hope it's changed since then, but reading the rundown of stops, it sounds pretty much the same. I'm going again in less than two weeks, and this time I might just skip it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom