Disney loses rights to use Kuka Robo arm?

kcnole

Original Poster
I'm hearing rumors and have seen Jim Hill claim it as well that Universal has recently won the exclusive rights to use the Kuka Robo arm for the next 10 years. I guess this means that if Disney had any plans to use this technology they've now been placed on hold. If this does prove to be true and Universal can find a wonderful way to use this technology, it's got to be a major coupe for Universal.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...as-well-as-kuka-s-robotic-arm-technology.aspx

majortom1981

Ugh

Disney should not be uspet at this. That robot arm is a disaster waiting to happen. Come on if used for a ride vehicle it will be a pain if their is a problem.

Disney signle handedly helped create a new coaster type (steel) .

They can create much better ride system. If money was a problem why not partner with say Six Flags or Cedar Fair? Why not aprtner with say B&M?

I just dont understand how disney could be uspet with losing the robotic arm. They create aa's and robots why cant they just make a bigger version of an aa arm that works on tracks?

WDWFigment

Saw that article too. They may not be able to use the Kuka arm for the next ten years, but I think they are clever enough to develop their own variant that's dissimilar enough to skirt patent issues.

Scar

<sarcasm>

How in the world has Disney survived all these years without a Kuka arm? Why, wouldn't Peter Pan's Flight be that much more fun with a Kuka arm? Or how about Muppetvision 3D? The Finding Nemo musical?

</sarcasm>

Basically, this seems to be a non event. So they can't use it for 10 years. Whoop-de-doo! There's always new technology out there and it is the story that makes it good, not the technology.

Keep moving forward!

majortom1981

The thing with the robot arm is the movement you can get out of it. Also the fact is the ride can be changed without rearranging the tracks.

I feel though that disney is more then capable of making there own version .

I do feel that the robotic arm though is too complicated for its own good. What if there is a problem. How safe are the riders on something like that ?

CTXRover

I do feel that the robotic arm though is too complicated for its own good. What if there is a problem. How safe are the riders on something like that ?

From what has been said here in the past concerning this arm, safety, along with capacity issues, have been the main reasons Disney still hasn't given the greenlight to using this type of ride system. I know that Universal wouldn't install an unsafe ride system, but they haven't always had the best track record when it comes to capacity. I imagine that this ride system, like any new application of ride technology, will be plagued with downtime with its first major use in theme parks.

If Disney is still interested in this 'type' of experience and Universal's use of the ride system is just a year or two away, maybe Disney can look at how it was used and develop something different enough to call their own but have better reliability. Better yet, I'm sure they have some ideas on inventing a new ride system, even if they haven't pursued those ideas yet. Afterall many Imagineers of today invented the ride system for EMVs, Tower of Terror, the first enclosed large capacity simulator for Star Tours, and many others. The main concern is that the competition now has a hugely popular franchise, along with exclusive rights to a new unique ride system.

This should be the challenge the Imagineers claim they love to attack head on and should be enough to scare the beancounters into approving the money to keep the competition where it is. So they can't use a ride system developed by an outside company, they have to have something else up their sleeves.

kcnole

Original Poster
I personally don't think its the end of the world, but they're probably upset since there have been apparently some work on bringing a ride using it to fruition. Now those plans have to be reworked. Like others have said, I don't think it will really hurt Disney. Some of my favorite attractions are low on amazing thrilling technology but big on heart.

WhyteAL

Just so you guys know.....

Kuka is a dirty little word for a couple of latin countries so if you are ever around certain type of latin folks you might not want to use that word.:D

Panama
Dominican Repbulic
Puerto Rico
Cuba
Honduras

usually most countries close to the caribe

Just a heads up. LOL:wave:

JimboJones123

Didn't they already fail to use this technology over the past 5-6 years it has been avaliable? Is it really that cutting edge if nobody besides Legoland has had any interest in it? Or am I thinking of something else?

jmvd20

I think this could be good news, (if true) Universal will have exclusive rights to this new robotic arm as well as Harry Potter. If these items help create better Universal parks then guess what Disney is forced to do - invest even more in its own rides and parks. The outcome of better competition is more rides, more attractions, and more cutting edge technology. Who doesn't want that?

Slipknot

Disney is already using the "Robot Arm" at The Seas w/ Nemo and Friends. Tech doesn't always have to be used for vehicles... Besides, Disney doesn't need new tech for better rides/shows/attractions!!

Eyorefan

Considering the source I'm really believing any of this yet.

That said, as a Harry Potter nut I have to say that IF it is true that Universal has the rights to it I am very sad and disappointed. I would have loved to see Disney do something great with it. Think of what a Potter would could do give some much need new life to the Disney Studios!

As far as the arm technology I don't see it as a major loss. From the article it the technology to use this arm for a ride system isn't quiet there yet anyway.

ToTBellHop

Disney always has Narnia and I haven't yet seen the Lord of the Rings rights handed out--that would be even bigger than Potter. Disney has options. The issue is whether or not they will move on any of them.

psifreek27

While it dissapoints me that Disney did not get the Harry Potter rights as i would have loved to see my favorite wizards at the mouse house (especially MGM) I am glad at the possibility of fresh competition for disney...

Universal was huge in early 2000's with IOA/HHN but as of late they have become a thing of the past...esp. after disney's excellent worldwide campaign "the happiest celebration on earth" which was a huge success and brought them back on top! but lately disney has gotten lazy again, esp after everest opened....We need Disney to go back into high gears!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Im hoping this will mean a new E ticket for MGM, refurb of Space Mountain (for at least 2 years), Journey to the Center of the Earth at AK and some sort of new ride/show/something at EPCOT possibly that new rumored Soarin around the world video!

The future is exciting! aint it!? :D

psifreek27

Disney always has Narnia and I haven't yet seen the Lord of the Rings rights handed out--that would be even bigger than Potter. Disney has options. The issue is whether or not they will move on any of them.

I think before Narnia becomes a bonafide "Hit" it needs a few more films, like potter has. Also LOTR would be a little too mature for Disney's crowd , hence why they got into Narnia to begin with...but disney does also have Prince of Persia coming out...and that might easily become the next "pirates" phenomenon.

coasterphil

Having ridden one of these horrible robot arms in the past, I'm relieved to hear that Disney doesn't want anything to do with them. I don't see how it could possibly be used in an attraction well.

CrashNet

Innoventions has four of these that play musical instruments. While I'm a rollercoaster fanatic, I honestly don't think I would ever get on a rollercoaster where the ride vehicle was a moving kuka arm on the track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom