Disney in December

GoofyTink

Hi everyone - this is my first post on these boards. I need some major planning help. Usually I go to Disney with my mother every year for Mother's Day but this year my boyfriend and I decided to take a trip in early December so I can finally see the world decorated for the holidays. 1.) I need a suggestion on where to stay - what resort has the best holiday feel? 2.) How are the crowds? We are going 12/7-12/11. 3.) Has anyone used the dining plan? How is it? I think its a great wait to sample some places I wouldn't normally go too 4.) What are some holiday must do's? 5.) How's the weather? I've only been to Florida when its really hot so I'm nervous about packing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!:xmas:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can help with a few of these.

1. Where to stay. That is really up to you budget. IMHO the Grand Floridian is the most lavishly decorated for the holidays but at $300 and up a night it is out of most peoples price range. I would stay at what ever resort fits your budget and take a day to visit as many of the deluxe resorts as you can. That way you can soak up the Christmas theming without having to take out a second mortgage to do it.

2. Crowds historically have been light but they have been steadily increasing. I would plan for moderate crowds so make your dinning plans and reservations early.

3. I have never personally used the dinning plan but it looks like a great deal if you plan accordingly. Check out the menus of the restaurants you plan to go to and do the math to tell if it is worth it or not. One thing I have heard of people doing it only using one sit down coupon for 2 people and splitting the entire, appetizer and desert then paying for a separate drink.

4. Holiday must do's. Visit the resorts, Candlelight processional at Epcot (getting dinner package is a must to avoid not getting in) and Mickeys very merry Christmas party at MK. MVMCP at MK is a hard ticked event but it is well worth it.

5. Whether can be all over the place that time of year. It is not uncommon for it to be 80's in the afternoon and down in the 40's that same evening so prepare to wrap and peel.

Upvote 0

Frosty466

We went last year Dec 11-17 and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. We really enjoyed the WL, great lobby to begin with and just phenominal with the giant Christmas trees. I would recommend the WL to anyone.

We also had a great time at the Candlelight Processional. We did the dining package and ate at the Coral Reef there at Epcot, which was not only very good but convenient too. If you eat there watch for the sea turtle-everyone stops their meal and stares in amazment.

We had a semi-cool week, mid to high 60's and one day at 73. Long sleeve tee shirts, sweat shirts and/or light jackets at night. No problem with the pool-always a favorite with the kids.

The crowds were hardly worth describing as crowds. I've been there in late June and comparitivly speaking, I never want to go at anyother time except Demeber again. We had only one wait longer than 15 minutes and that was for Dumbo and that was partially due to a ride malfunction.

We are going back again this Dec. and want to take in the Osborn Lights this year.

Upvote 0
We usually go ever year at that time.

1. We love to stay at WL. I would advise against one of the value resorts, due to the influx of Pop Warner teams. They tend to stay at the All Stars and sometimes at POR. We never encounter them at WL.

2.Crowds are lighter than mothers day time frame. But remember the hours are reduced also.

3. Have not done dining plan.

4. Must dos - Candlelight processional. And get that dinner package, so you can eat at one of the Epcot countries restraunts. Otherwise you cannot get any reservations for those dining places. As 2 adults we do the mid time frame show with dinner afterwards. We've our suggestions for dinner are Japan - they cook at your table, Canada and UK. Avoide Italy - oooo did I say that.

Also so MVMCP - they have special fireworks and it is a short trip back to WL where you'll stay. :xmas:

Weather - can be iffy. One year it was beautiful did not have to wear a sweatshirt or pants. Other years they had a frost. Be prepared or buy a WL sweatshirt. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

swimmom

We have stayed at WL twice in December and love the decorations. The fireplace adds so much in the winter months.

Ditto on the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package and MVMCP. Try to avoid a weekend date for the Party - Sundays are good. We also like to see the Osborne Lights in MGM.

The past two years we have had mostly cool weather, but one day was in the 80's so pack for any weather.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

What resort? Well, if you ahve the money stay at Grand Floridian. If not, and you really want the holiday feel try AKL or WL in the delux category of CSR in the moderates. I've seen all of the resorts and honestly, those four have the best decorations of all.

Crowds? As said plan for moderate levels and make any ADR's as soon as possible.

Dining Plan? Don't use it, although someone on another board recently priced it out and realized the savings was several hundred dollars for a family of 4

Weather? Expect temperatures to reach highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 30's. It doesn't always happen but sometimes it does so be prepared with lots of layers.

Must sees? The Candlelight Processional (get the dining package), any of the tree lighting ceremonies, the various Storytellers around the World Showcase, Mickeys Jingle Jammin Jungle Parade at AK, MVMCP, all of the resorts, Osbourne Lights -- if you like over the top decorating and large crowds.

Make sure you have dinner at LTT in MK -- very festive during December.

Upvote 0

DisneyBound

Pretty much what everyone else said. We have been there the last two years during that same week and stayed at the POP. The dining plan was great, paid $900 for $1,850 worth of food and we were constantly full. We only had one evening out of the two years that was warm enough (in our opinion) to attempt swimming and i was still cold...there were a few days that we wore coats and gloves, and others that we wore shorts and tshirts, pack heavy or you may end up wasting money on sweatshirts/coats/gloves. Its an awesome time to go, the christmas sights and sounds are incredible!

Upvote 0

maelstrom

We've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, and Riverside at Christmastime. I like the deluxe resorts better.

As far as weather, both times I've gone in December it's been quite frosty. Watch the Weather Channel before you go. I've been to WDW wearing a hat, gloves, & scarf.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

Welcome to the boards Goofy Tink!!

Early December is my favorite time to visit WDW. The weather is typically mild. Shorts during the day, with a light jacket at night. You just need to watch the weather in the morning and decide from there. IF we see that it will be chilly after the sun goes down- then we take jeans and a light jacket with us & put them in a locker til they are needed. For me, better so be safe than sorry.

Don't miss the Osbourne Lights in MGM. Don't miss MVMCP in MK. Don't miss the Candlelight Processional - get the dining package. We have eaten at Mexico, Morocco, China, United Kingdom, Japan and the Garden Grill in the Land and have liked them all (except for the drunken chicken in China - it is a gross appetizer:hurl: - do not let them recommend that).

We have stayed at AllStars, POR and CBR. The Pop Warner kids at POR only surfaced at dinner time - I think they are too busy with practice or games during the day to get into too much trouble at the resort. Allstars is always busy cause they are the cheapest rooms on property.

BUT if you are like me, we use the room to sleep and shower - I don't wanna spend a fortune on a room during December with Christmas right around the corner.

I hope you have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

The only suggestion I would have, if you can stay longer -- do. We like to go for a week, but at X-mas time it is really worth having an additonal day or two. One day can be spent resort hopping and going to MVMCP alone. The other to just take the extra time visiting all the holiday stuff at epcot during the day and hitting osborne lights at night. The weather is really wild too. Plan to pack for 2 trips. A warm weather trip, and a cold weather trip.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Gucci65 said:
Welcome to the boards Goofy Tink!!

Early December is my favorite time to visit WDW. The weather is typically mild. Shorts during the day, with a light jacket at night. You just need to watch the weather in the morning and decide from there. IF we see that it will be chilly after the sun goes down- then we take jeans and a light jacket with us & put them in a locker til they are needed. For me, better so be safe than sorry.

Don't miss the Osbourne Lights in MGM. Don't miss MVMCP in MK. Don't miss the Candlelight Processional - get the dining package. We have eaten at Mexico, Morocco, China, United Kingdom, Japan and the Garden Grill in the Land and have liked them all (except for the drunken chicken in China - it is a gross appetizer:hurl: - do not let them recommend that).

We have stayed at AllStars, POR and CBR. The Pop Warner kids at POR only surfaced at dinner time - I think they are too busy with practice or games during the day to get into too much trouble at the resort. Allstars is always busy cause they are the cheapest rooms on property.

BUT if you are like me, we use the room to sleep and shower - I don't wanna spend a fortune on a room during December with Christmas right around the corner.

I hope you have a great trip!!
watch for pop warner at All-star. if you go moderate/value -- stay pop. It's virtually a moderate compared to allstars.

Upvote 0

orangewarrior

You can get dining reservations at the Epcot resorts during the Processional periods, without the dinner plan. I have one right now. We may end up getting the dinner plan for the Processional that evening, but are undecided right now. But we did get a dining reservation @ LeCellier during that time frame.

Upvote 0

snakeislandboy

If you are there to really enjoy the Christmas Celebration, make sure to plan enough time in Epcot. It's wonderfully decorated and there are a lot of Christmas activities like the Christmas around the world stories. To echo what everyone else said the MVMCP is a must. Be sure to order your tickets early they sell out. Christmas time is the best. I'm trying to get the whole family to go this year, including Grandmaw!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom