Disney Hotel? Yes or no?

CMouse

Hey :) So a couple of friends and I are planning a Easter Week (1st week of April) Disney Trip. Our original plan was to stay at a Disney hotel for the whole week but we now have the option of staying at off-site hotel for lower price. All of my previous Disney trips were family vacations which included shopping and only a couple of park days so it made sense for us to stay off-site and rent a car. At this point, money isn't an issue (since we had all agreed to pay for the Disney hotel anyway) but it's always nice to save up a bit. So I guess my question is are the perks of staying on-site worth the extra cost? Seeing as how Easter Week is one of the busiest weeks of the year, we could really take advantage of those Extra Magic Hours, but I really have no experience when it comes to Disney Hotels.

Tinkerbella16

^^^ What CAPTAIN HOOK said!

I have only stayed offsite once and that was my 1st trip in 1992. We have stayed onsite every trip since and I couldn't imagine not being in the disney bubble 24/7! I do get that you save money staying offsite, but we go in the Fall and always get a great room discount or free dining. So it just works better for us to stay in Disney. I also love Disney transportation. I enjoy taking the buses/boats/monorails everywhere I need to go. Also, Extra Magic Hours are one of the things I always take advantage of- morning and night!

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We recommend staying on campus in a Disney resort. Walt Disney World is a "state of mind". Experiencing it 24/7 is why we love to go there - and need to go there. You've read people's comments here about being "in a bubble". If you stay there and fully experience it and embrace it, it will enhance your trip and your experience 100 times over treating it like it's just a typical park.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney Hotel = Yes for -
Extra Magic Hours, convenience, shopping sent back to your resort, charging privileges, Disney 24/7, Being able to drink alcohol in the parks without driving afterwards, No car parking fees, No long drives to get to WDW,

Offsite Hotel = Yes for -
Saving money
And if flying in, don't forget DME and luggage services, as well as resort early checkin for your flight (for many major airlines).

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

And if flying in, don't forget DME and luggage services, as well as resort early checkin for your flight (for many major airlines).

AND the ability to make FP+ earlier and ADRs for the whole trip at 180 days, both of which will come in very handy for a visit during one of the busiest weeks of the year!

Pricy as it is, I'd stay on-site as well, if visiting during heavy crowds.

Upvote 0

HollyAD

Stay on property! When crowds are high, its easy to hop on a bus and go back to resort for a break. It's great to hit the parks early while crowds are lower and head back for a pool break when crowds are high. After you have refreshed you can go back to the park and close it out or take advantage of EMH.

You can also take advantage of the Magical Express if staying on property. This is a bus service from MCO which is at no additional cost. It is a money saver and prevents you from needing a rental car. It is also a great themed start to your vacation.

Which ever you decide, have a wonderful vacation!

Upvote 0

xracer4844

All great posts above - personally I also can't imagine not staying at a Disney resort. There is something fantastic about hopping onto a bus, driving for a few minutes, getting off of the bus at your destination easy peasy. Versus, dealing with the parking lot, getting into your hot car, driving off site for who knows how long etc. I like to just stay at a Disney resort, get the meal plan, and not worry about anything else except having as much fun as I can :)

Upvote 0

Kosmo1986

I feel like you just got an overwhelming yes! I would have to agree too. Especially if money isn't a huge issue. Saving a couple bucks isn't worth it. I always used to staff off property but there can be so many hidden fees (resort fees, parking (both at the hotel and in the parks), wifi) that it really is worth it to stay onsite.

Upvote 0

LoveDiz

Yep, I must agree with everyone here for all these above reasons...for SURE stay on property!
The no stress of driving and the total escape is the best part of Diz...well worth the money in my opinion!

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Is there any chance you can go a different week? Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas can be flat-out unbearable at times. Plus, you'd get much better rates than what you'd pay at Easter.

Upvote 0

CMouse

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info guys! :) Was really leaning towards staying at a Disney hotel but just wanted to hear what everyone else thought. Now we'll be staying on-site for sure. Was really lNow we just need to decide between an All-Star hotel or Pop Century

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

AND the ability to make FP+ earlier and ADRs for the whole trip at 180 days,
FP+ can be made at 60 days if staying onsite, but only 30 days if staying elsewhere.

ADR's however can be made at 180 days no matter where you stay - onsite, offsite of just a local booking a meal at a Disney restaurant. Resort guests can book the +10 days at 180 days

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CMouse

Original Poster
Is there any chance you can go a different week? Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas can be flat-out unbearable at times. Plus, you'd get much better rates than what you'd pay at Easter.

Unfortunately, one of my friends works as a teacher and so Easter Week is the best time for her to travel out of the country. I would love to go when the parks are not as crowded, but I'll take what I can get. Plus, my last Disney experience was two years ago for New Year's eve, so I'm hoping that it won't be as bad.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Unfortunately, one of my friends works as a teacher and so Easter Week is the best time for her to travel out of the country. I would love to go when the parks are not as crowded, but I'll take what I can get. Plus, my last Disney experience was two years ago for New Year's eve, so I'm hoping that it won't be as bad.
Our first few Disney trips were over Easter (wife's a teacher plus the kiddies were school age) we had a blast. Yes it was busy (but not NYE busy). With careful planning and getting those dining reservations booked early you can still have a great time.
Plus when the parks are busy, the operating hours are longer

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

FP+ can be made at 60 days if staying onsite, but only 30 days if staying elsewhere.

ADR's however can be made at 180 days no matter where you stay - onsite, offsite of just a local booking a meal at a Disney restaurant. Resort guests can book the +10 days at 180 days

That was what I meant by "ADRs for the whole trip at 180 days" being an on-site perk. If you stay offsite, you can only make them for the first day of your trip at 180 days, and have to return every subsequent day to make ADRs for the subsequent days. If on-site, you can make them all at once. I should have clarified, since some people stay for more than 10 days, so their "whole trip" wouldn't be covered.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom