Disney Golf Question!

hansel1

Original Poster
I have a trip booked in january with my wife and inlaws. The guys want to play golf if its not too expensive. I have been looking at the green fees and it seems that they are around $300 per person during january. There is some info on becoming a member of some group and getting a discount, but I don't see much else.

Can anyone tell me how to get discounted green fees?

Can anyone suggest a course to play on disney property?

Which courses have the new GPS systems in the golf carts?

Thanks

Kadee

I've never played one of their courses, but I really don't think they are that high. I'll look for some prices and post back. I think I just saw the fees (cart included) that were under $100/person, but let me check on that.

You can always call. I'm sure they can get you with a person who knows.

wilary

hansel1 said:
I have a trip booked in january with my wife and inlaws. The guys want to play golf if its not too expensive. I have been looking at the green fees and it seems that they are around $300 per person during january. There is some info on becoming a member of some group and getting a discount, but I don't see much else.

Unfortunately, January is right in the middle of let's-jack-up-the-price-and-gouge-the-snowbirds season. The official website is posting rates through January 20th. The most expensive is $145 (Osprey Ridge) and the least expensive is $99 (Lake Buena Vista). After January 20, I think they may be higher.

hansel1 said:
Can anyone tell me how to get discounted green fees?
There's a Resort Guest discount for those stying on property, usually $10. There's a 30% discount for you and three others with an annual pass.
If you're a member of the Vacation Club, you can purchase the golf membership for $50 and there's a whole different rate schedule with massive discounts.

hansel1 said:
Can anyone suggest a course to play on disney property?
You can't go wrong with Disney Golf. I've played every course, each offers it's own set of experiences. Each is awesome.

Palm & Magnolia are where they play the PGA event. It's pretty flat. There's lots of sand and lots of water. I've heard it's the place for "real golfers".

Osprey is a great course. Lots of sand and water. Lots of altitude changes. All the greens are elevated. It's a beautiful course. My opinion it's the best they have. But you pay for it as it's the most expensive.

Eagle Pines is a Pete Dye design. Many undulations in both the fairway and on the green. You'll definitely use every shot in your bag.

Lake Buena Vista is a good value. Just because it's the cheapest doesn't mean it's the least taken care of. It's a challenging course. But the cool part is that it winds through and by the Old Key West, Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs, Downtown Disney and the old Treehouse Villas. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

hansel1 said:
Which courses have the new GPS systems in the golf carts?
They have GPS on all of the course except Lake Buena Vista.

If you're looking off property, you might take a look at Orange County National. They had the latest PGA Q School there. Lots of fun.

Good Luck! Hit 'em straight!

wilary

And another thing....

You might be careful with the twilight rates. You'll have to check. But I think it gets dark pretty early in January.

Kadee

Here's the link to Disney's page on the golf courses. Just click on the course you want info on and then scroll down a bit. It lists the green fees. WAY under $300. Good Luck!:wave:

I luv WDW

Great courses

I agree with Wilary, all the courses are great, and all have their own particular appeal. The Palm and Magnolia are older, more classic designs, while Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines have a more updated feel. Don't overlook Lake Buena Vista, which often seems to be forgotten, maybe because of its location. No matter which course you choose, you'll have a great time.:)

Next trip: Nov. 23, 2006, Port Orleans French Quarter

hansel1

Original Poster
You all were right, the fees aren't anywhere near $300. I don't know where i saw that.

Anyway, I don't mind paying around $120 bucks to play golf and I'm sure the inlaws will agree with me on that. We live here in arkansas and there is a residential community called Hot Springs Village that has 9 golf courses. We play about once a week and really thought it would be fun to play while we stayed at disney.

Last year I saw part of the course that runs near old key west and POR. We might have to play two days as I know they guys would have fun with that course and they would definately want to play osprey.

Thanks for all your help!

tednvon

Hello, I live in Disney area Jan, Feb and March, and happy to help you out...I love golf and play quite a bit...first question...do you have a car or will you have to play a Disney course and use thier transportation??

Second, do you want the best money can buy or just a nice round of golf for under 100.00. Are you high handicappers (over 15) and don't want to loose a dozen balls on a tough course, or lower handicaps and just want a great course for a day?

If no car, just pick a Disney course and do it...Osprey is probably the most well kept of all. The Disney courses get a lot of play and are NOT the best courses in area. There are some spectacular courses if you have a car or are willing to spend money for a cab...

If you have a car, here is my recommendation:

High Handicaper...just fun golf for a day:
Highlands Reserve (407 629 6767)...about 70-90 dollars about 20 minute drive from Disney (west on 192 and south on hwy 27 about 3-4 miles on the left)
King's Ridge (866) 424-1081) 60 to 80 $$ west on 192, north on 27 about 5 miles on the right

One great day of Golf

Mystic Dunes only 5 minutes from Disney 192 west to Old Lake Wilson Road..left two miles and turn into Wyndam Palms resort...
Spectacular course...great greens...fun to play...not a lot of water...play the white tees or it will get you if not a very low handicapper. Call for rates or if at an outside hotel have them call for a "corporate"rate...probably 115-130$$$

Let me know if questions...
FYI, Disney will be at least 130 to 150 at this time...

Ted

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom