Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is best post to outline the new app. Just one question. We would be staying onsite. Do onsite guests get any extra perk(s)? i.e. At 7am we might get to book two rides vs one for non-onsite guests?

Onsite guests have this perk:

For their daily allotment of paying for two LL$s, they get to do so at 7 AM. Off-site guests have to wait until park opening.

mightynine

You could not prebook fast passes in two separate parks. You could get a fast pass for a new park when you were in it and if they were available. Maxpass does not require you to be in the park and it appears this doesn’t either.

Once you had used your first three Fastpass Pluses, you could then open the app and see if anything was available at any park.

Usually there wasn't much. I did get lucky once and made the app spit out a FOP FP and then a Rivers of Light popped up after that one night.

But it does bring up an interesting thought that we really won't know how it will play out until it used in the real world - I would be somewhat frustrated or let down when the FP options were slim pickings after I'd used my first three (I'd always tried to scheduled them early in the day so I could burn through 'em and try and get something else), but ultimately I just shrugged and kept refreshing.

How's someone going to feel when Genie+ is pushing them towards options they may not be interested in?

lazyboy97o

Imagine paying 24 bucks each time you wanna use the lightning line if you didnt do the Genie+ thing. That's a hard pass for me.
They’re two separate things. The rides that will charge individually for Lightning Lane Select Experience access are not part of Lightning Lane access in Genie+. More imagine paying extra to ride a ride that was supposed to be demolished over a decade ago.

aaronml

So how about shows and meet & greets? We know it's coming right.
This will almost definitely be part of Genie+. It will be interesting to see how they handle nighttime entertainment. IMO, FP+ handled that poorly, and DLR FP handled it well by separating it from attraction FPs.

That said, nighttime entertainment will be more impacted by this at DLR than WDW. Most shows at WDW don’t really require an FP in order to get a good view (e.g. Epcot where anywhere around the lagoon is good).

At DLR, both Fantasmic and WoC have historically required either an FP or dining package in order to get a good view. If that remains the case, but FP/LL is only available via Genie+, it essentially means that you’ll have to pay-up for a good view.

DonaldDoleWhip

The self-described core supporters do not make up nearly as large a percentage of the total guests who visit WDW as they'd like to believe. And since the day WDW has opened, they have periodically made changes that resulted in regular guests reducing the frequency of their visits. And you know what, peoples life situations change or their interests change as kids grow older and they stop coming back. Every year, since 1971, people have decided they'd had enough of WDW (for hundreds of different reasons) and began spending their vacation dollars going other places and doing other things. And that will happen again surround this. And yet, the attendance at WDW has been on a nearly continuous climb right up until the pandemic blew everything up last year.
I don't disagree with this either, and a clear demonstrative example is Artist Point. I loved it as a signature restaurant (most of the time), but it was never difficult to book and always fairly empty.

Lower the food quality, throw in some incongruous characters, and boom: it became one of WDW's toughest dining reservations to score. I hate the way things panned out, but it was clearly a good business decision.

In this case, a lot will depend on the impact of Genie, Genie+, and Lightning Lanes. Will the increasingly burdensome complexity start turning off casual visitors? Will the vocal backlash scare first-timers away from committing? Or will standby lines become much more manageable overall? Honestly, this was a sore point for FP+, where those without resort reservations (and the drive to lock things in 60+ days in advance at 7am) could be blocked out of short waits on the hottest must-sees. Genie could very well improve the experience, but let's see.

brettf22

Premium Member
This is best post to outline the new app. Just one question. We would be staying onsite. Do onsite guests get any extra perk(s)? i.e. At 7am we might get to book two rides vs one for non-onsite guests?

Onsite guests have this perk:

For their daily allotment of paying for two LL$s, they get to do so at 7 AM. Off-site guests have to wait until park opening.
And in essence, the 30 minute Early Entry is Disney’s way of giving onsite folks one “free” Lightning Pass. As long as you like to rope drop.

Tjaden

Effectively, Rise of the Resistance has a lot in common with skycoasters all over amusement parks in the USA....not included with park admission.

matt9112

Is there actual confirmation that they could shut down a standby line or is/was that just speculation at this point?

Based of the paris system i believe and some insider info. Im not sure if it is 100%
It's called crying over spilled milk man... It's done, it's not changing, you either accept that baseline or walk away. When looking at what changed yesterday, we have more options then we did the day before.

If options is how you decide if something is good or not woah "man" your the "man" and im the "dude" man.

More options = better. Got it.

PizzaPlanet

From what I understand boarding groups are already a terrible experience. It might be unusable now that they're taking away capacity and charging for it.

matt9112

I’m guessing anything like that that had a FP will be part of Genie+.

Unless they get super greedy and put M&Gs as a separate purchase.

More choices! More flexibility to plan your vacation! Some guests dont want to do m&gs why would we force them to? This way our guests can plan and purchase expeirences most important to them!

Waters Back Side

That is incorrect - How and when guests book is just as important as how much there is at any time.

This! Because availability goes hand in hand with when and what you book at 7 AM. Try waiting 2 hours and see if you get the same ride you wanted to book at 7 AM. Or try to purchase FOP at 9 AM instead of 7 AM...They might be sold out.

Last edited:

matt9112

You have every right to feel upset, and I don’t want to take that away from you…

But yeah… not this. It’s not discriminatory. Making claims like this does a great disservice to actual discrimination and issues faced by people in the world.

This is a first world problem, something so negligible in the grand scheme that it doesn’t even warrant a blip on the radar.

I always find it hilarious that discrimination can never involve money.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I am still confused on how it will work and take over Fast pass and is it a separate App?

Good place to start is this FAQ -

9. Is Disney Genie a new app?​

Disney Genie will be accessed via My Disney Experience, the existing Walt Disney World app available for iOS and Android.

aaronml

You could not prebook fast passes in two separate parks. You could get a fast pass for a new park when you were in it and if they were available. Maxpass does not require you to be in the park and it appears this doesn’t either.
This isn’t entirely accurate. A couple of years ago Disney added new functionality to the FP+ system allowing for “segmentation”. Essentially it allowed TDO to selectively modify business rules/logic based on all sorts of things (e.g. which discount/offer you booked your resort stay with).

At one point, they had a resort/hotel discount offer that included FP+ with park hopping — essentially you could pre-book FPs in multiple parks per day instead of just one park per day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom