Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chi84

Premium Member
I mean no one is forcing you to do either of those. Some people like it, some people don't. People tour the parks in their own way.

I'm an uber planner but I never planned things out to the minute. I had a meal reservation at a certain time and (back in the day) had three one our windows to hit up rides. The rest of the day was up in the air and I did whatever I wanted. Somedays I refreshed and did ride after ride. Some days I just wandered the park and did whatever had a short line.

But that's how I like to plan my vacations.

I mean, sure I would love to be able to show up anywhere and just get in whenever I wanted and get a free 3 anytime LL passes for $15. But I live in reality. There is a chance you can walk up and get a table in a restaurant but you're also risking that it'll be full. That's how every restaurant in the world works that takes reservations.
Very well-said. This is exactly the type of planning we did. And it freed us up to spend some glorious mornings/early afternoons at the water parks where we used our phones only to check the time every now and then.

tanc

Since Disneyland Paris introduced the premier pass Ultimate, I was wondering what the concensus here on it would be?

Padraig

Genie plus was the straw that cancelled our planned trip next month. Premier Access didn't stop us going to Paris in April. The Ultimate version hadn't launched then (it really is unwarranted for anything other than day guests), but if you're prepared to spend it offers an even easier time that the individual purchases. And that is what I want. Ease. Don't make me be on the phone all day micro-planning. If Disney is brazen enough to gouge, well then they should get on with it and just do it... and not have a half arsed system that gets in my way and also costs me more.

Jeff4272

Genie plus was the straw that cancelled our planned trip next month. Premier Access didn't stop us going to Paris in April. The Ultimate version hadn't launched then (it really is unwarranted for anything other than day guests), but if you're prepared to spend it offers an even easier time that the individual purchases. And that is what I want. Ease. Don't make me be on the phone all day micro-planning. If Disney is brazen enough to gouge, well then they should get on with it and just do it... and not have a half arsed system that gets in my way and cost me more.
We wont be back either unless it changes..........and we went 5x in last 3 years....nothing in 2022 or 2023

Padraig

We wont be back either unless it changes.........and we went 5x in last 3 years....nothing in 2022 or 2023
Same. Not a hope I'm going till it's gone. Same story for my brother in laws family and he's not in the least bit cost sensitive. He'd go 2 weeks, do the private tour thing every year and even with that option, he's done. Just not worth the hassle otherwise. Although he endorsed Genie in DL, which I was kinda shocked by.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m having breakfast at 8:45, be on Splash at 10:20, Thunder at 11:05, I got a 20 minute window for a Dole Whip then over to Pirates at 11:50. Who’s planning my vacation? Microsoft Teams? The exact reason I went on vacation in the first place.

I used to love doing days like this, I’d use touring plans and FP+ to plan a day in five minute increments, I’d do everything I wanted (many things multiple times), and never stand in a long line. It wasn’t relaxing but it was amazing to spend most of the day on rides rather than most of the day in lines.

Other days we’d go to the park with an ADR, our 3 FPs, and completely wing the other 99% of the time.

Unfortunately Genie+ has ruined both way of touring.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I used to love doing days like this, I’d use touring plans and FP+ to plan a day in five minute increments, I’d do everything I wanted (many things multiple times), and never stand in a long line. It wasn’t relaxing but it was amazing to spend most of the day on rides rather than most of the day in lines.

Other days we’d go to the park with an ADR, our 3 FPs, and completely wing the other 99% of the time.

EXACTLY... with FP it literally gave you multiple options on how you wanted to do Disney and NO matter what you had 3 FREE FP's that you pretty much were able to pick whatever time you wanted to as a resort guest with the ability to book more.... now its a total disaster and nightmare

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

You could also do a bit of both. But like you say it was your decision.

I'm an hour forty-five away. Before the park res/genie+ system - there were days I'd wake up on a Saturday early, surprise the kids by telling them they had 30 minutes to pack and make the drive to the parks for a quick 1 or 2 night trip. Can't really do that anymore. I mean sure I could in theory - but it's too much of a hassle now.

I still do that. But it's to Uni now.

KrzyKtty

I don't know, I am probably the odd man out but I don't mind the LL system now that I am using it. I have been here for a week so far, and I have done 3 of the 4 parks. We did EEH at MK the other day. We got there at about 7 o'clock, 7 o'clock, 8 dinner until 9 o'clock, and I was still able to fit 5 Lightning lanes between 9 and 11. We didn't even end up using the EHH. When we did Hollywood studios I was able to get everything but Tower. On our 1st day at epcot we were able to get everything done except imagination, and the sea's pavilion. And we only didn't do those because my husband wanted to spend time in the world showcase. We have ridden Guardians 3 times so far and are planning on writing it a 4th. We have also ridden TT, Sorin, and Frozen and Remy's 2x between 1 Park day and one EHH. While I am not in love with the park reservation system, or the 2 o'clock park hop, I really don't mind this system as compared to the fast past system. This new system does allow for a lot more spontaneity in our day. It allows me to more easily go with the flow and make changes on the fly. I didn't spend weeks building touring plans to the 5 minute increments, And yet we still have not waited in line for more than 20 minutes. I have been able to get a lightning lane for virtually every ride we have been on. I did use touring plans to an extent, but it was more as a guide for what ride I should rope drop. This trip has been a little bit more relaxing for me than the older system where I had to have military level planning to avoid lines.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
EXACTLY... with FP it literally gave you multiple options on how you wanted to do Disney and NO matter what you had 3 FREE FP's that you pretty much were able to pick whatever time you wanted to as a resort guest with the ability to book more.... now its a total disaster and nightmare
and at this point I don’t care if it’s free or not, but bring parts of the old system back because this one is bad

Casper Gutman

A lot of this conversation sounds like Uber-planners who were catered to for years to the disadvantage of other guests getting upset that they are now subject to some of those same disadvantages. I’m sorry, I find the idea of scheduling a ride (or even choosing a park) 60 days in advance to be madness, the antithesis of a fun vacation. If I stayed on WDW property anymore, the shorter lead time of G+ would be more appealing. But both are awful, so I’m happy at Uni. Anyway, until WDW dramatically increases capacity, arguing for either FP+ Or G+ is just arguing that OTHER people should be disadvantaged, not YOU.

You know what’s fair? What the parks were designed for? Lines without line-skipping systems.

DisneyHead123

Anyway, until WDW dramatically increases capacity, arguing for either FP+ Or G+ is just arguing that OTHER people should be disadvantaged, not YOU.
I think the difference is FP+ worked for people with a particular touring style, while G+, from what I'm hearing, doesn't really work for anyone (although a few people have reported different things). If G+ was a solid option but only for people with a given touring style, I think people would feel differently.

pdude81

I think the difference is FP+ worked for people with a particular touring style, while G+, from what I'm hearing, doesn't really work for anyone (although a few people have reported different things). If G+ was a solid option but only for people with a given touring style, I think people would feel differently.
I think FP+ worked for people who knew how to use it and stayed on site. G+ is a similar beast but with tighter timeframes IMO. On site gets you on the ILL rides where they might be sold out to others, and the knowledge of how to work the system helps you achieve reasonable ridership. I think the hardest part is that it's not intuitive and people don't have 30-60 days to come to terms with whatever decisions were made on the fly.

Casper Gutman

G+ will work better for people who stay on site and want to plan closer to thier actual visit. I suspect FP+ folks are disproportionately vocal in this thread for a few reasons. For one thing, many of the people put off by FP+ have already curtailed their WDW visits and stopped visiting WDW boards. For another, WDW has essentially constructed a multi-pronged system over the last several years which, via ADRs, park reservations, FP+, and other systems, has trained guests that advanced micromanaged planning and a complete lack of spontaneity is the “correct” way to do Disney. G+, which disadvantages that approach, is thus seen as a betrayal of that favored touring approach and, as such, fundamentally incorrect. Why is Disney harming the fans who do Disney “right?”

I also think it’s important to remember that we have an entire generation that never experienced WDW without line-skipping. To them, it conjures nightmares of endless waits and a near impossibility of actually experiencing many rides. Line-skipping must exist because the alternative is worse! In reality, of corse, the alternative is quick, steadily moving lines that fluctuate dramatically throughout the day and much shorter lines for less popular attractions because people aren’t being forced to them and the crowd isn’t being artificially inflated by folks standing in line virtually.

DisneyHead123

I think FP+ worked for people who knew how to use it and stayed on site. G+ is a similar beast but with tighter timeframes IMO. On site gets you on the ILL rides where they might be sold out to others, and the knowledge of how to work the system helps you achieve reasonable ridership. I think the hardest part is that it's not intuitive and people don't have 30-60 days to come to terms with whatever decisions were made on the fly.
G+ will work better for people who stay on site and want to plan closer to thier actual visit. I suspect FP+ folks are disproportionately vocal in this thread for a few reasons. For one thing, many of the people put off by FP+ have already curtailed their WDW visits and stopped visiting WDW boards. For another, WDW has essentially constructed a multi-pronged system over the last several years which, via ADRs, park reservations, FP+, and other systems, has trained guests that advanced micromanaged planning and a complete lack of spontaneity is the “correct” way to do Disney. G+, which disadvantages that approach, is thus seen as a betrayal of that favored touring approach and, as such, fundamentally incorrect. Why is Disney harming the fans who do Disney “right?”

I also think it’s important to remember that we have an entire generation that never experienced WDW without line-skipping. To them, it conjures nightmares of endless waits and a near impossibility of actually experiencing many rides. Line-skipping must exist because the alternative is worse! In reality, of corse, the alternative is quick, steadily moving lines that fluctuate dramatically throughout the day and much shorter lines for less popular attractions because people aren’t being forced to them and the crowd isn’t being artificially inflated by folks standing in line virtually.
I'm going off of other people's reports so I'll reserve judgement until I've tried G+ myself. I have something of a stake in both styles (lots of planning is my preference but for my parents sake I will now be taking my little tornado of a toddler to Disney, and he's unpredictable so detailed planning is really not an option). It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm keeping my expectations low at this point. At this point it sounds like a failed experiment to me, but again, I can only go off of the comments I'm reading online (I know a few people who have been to Disney in the last year but no one used G+).

solidyne

I like that second paragraph so much, i read it three times!

It will fall on deaf ears, though. Folks are more concerned about "me"! "My" Disney planning techniques!

[ETA: Touring Plans are great, of course, but that's because they work outside the system, externally. They aren't the system. They worked even better pre-FP+.]

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Hence why Genie is awful. Imagine being a billion dollar company with guests willing to pay for a product & having probably more data and analytics on them & somehow messing this up soooo badly you ticked off almost everyone & its so bad you are already looking to change it. But welcome to Disney in the 21st century under the new regime.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No

When there isnt enough capacity & parks being full walk on’s become non existent during most park hours. Im 47 & been going since i could remember & there was no such thing as walk ons growing up. Basically every ride had legit lines & that was with more capacity & less attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom