Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCBaker

Premium Member
A couple of questions:

1) When Bob and Josh say "Genie" and "Genie+", are they including Individual Lightning Lane purchases? Part of me suspects that any time they say "Genie", they really mean "Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane". Was there anything in the BOA call that indicated Josh was talking about G+, ILL, or both?

Here's the question and answer from the call (if you listen to the replay, it is asked around the 18:29 mark) -

Host question -

Is Genie+ sold out all the time?

Josh -

Genie+ is doing phenomenally well. It is selling more than we thought that it would, so guests are really enjoying it. The other interesting thing is that when we survey the guests that have purchased Genie+ and lightning lane, 70% of them are saying when I come back next time I’m buying this thing again, so we know we are on to something with this. It was a change to the system, so there is going to be some reaction to it, which we would expect. But we know when a guest does buy it they are getting what they paid for and are feeling really good about it.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Here's the question and answer from the call (if you listen to the replay, it is asked around the 18:29 mark) -

Host question -

Is Genie+ sold out all the time?

Josh -

Genie+ is doing phenomenally well. It is selling more than we thought that it would, so guests are really enjoying it. The other interesting thing is that when we survey the guests that have purchased Genie+ and lightning lane, 70% of them are saying when I come back next time I’m buying this thing again, so we know we are on to something with this. It was a change to the system, so there is going to be some reaction to it, which we would expect. But we know when a guest does buy it they are getting what they paid for and are feeling really good about it.

"We have up the parks experience so badly that people are willing to pay for an inferior version of a product that used to be included to have a chance at having something better than a completely crappy experience."

Hey Joshy - just because I buy insurance doesn't mean I ENJOY buying insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

csmat99

It's not just paying for something that was free it's about paying for something that is worse than fastpass and now everyone needs to stay up late and wake up early every day just to have the pleasure of paying $60 a day for family of four. I get better deal when I go for my colonoscopy.

JusticeDisney

Josh did you survey the percentage of guests who will never come back to Disney because of these wonderful changes you’ve made???

I just think it’s very curious how they are constantly having to reinforce and tell themselves (more so than the actual customers) that the Genie product is a success. A successful product or service usually doesn’t have to constantly remind everyone how successful it is.
They don’t have to tell anyone anything. The gazillions of people filling the parks and resorts on a daily basis are saying all that needs to be said.

Disstevefan1

On the Bank of American Q&A call this afternoon, Josh D'Amaro said that Genie+ is selling more than they thought that it would and 70% of guests said they would buy it again when they come for their next visit.
Well yes, I would think at least 70 percent who paid for a ticket to get in WOULD WANT TO ACTUALLY GET ON AN ATTRACTION, so folks are buying it because they have to.
Or, it might mean that 70% of the people who used it do actually like it.
I think they like it compared to the alterative of not riding any attractions.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
"70% would purchase Genie+ again" is not the same as "70% of guests have positive feelings towards Genie+" or "70% of guests prefer Genie+ over FastPass+"...

Many guests after visiting the parks as they are right now, likely understand that if they don't buy Genie+ their vacation would be worse. So they begrudgingly buy the service that used to be free.
Exactly. When i used it in November it was awful but when asked i said i would most likely buy it again… pleasantly surprised this trip but again most likely due to capacity & less people buying bc of it

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
That to me is the biggest problem with Genie+. The fact you need to buy it to enjoy the parks.
Tbh i just came home & most days if not all of the 11 i was there for you really didnt need it. The worst day probably was the Sunday of Labor day & once the rains came in. Basically rendered it useless with all the rides closing down… with that being said it was so hot & genie was basically grab an attraction & ride right away made it worth it even tho i had DAS as well.

JusticeDisney

We used Genie+ this past summer and it worked out great for us. Between that, ILL and staying at the parks until closing, we rode just about every ride and hardly waited in any lines.

MrPromey

It’s this.

I am a local and I now know I basically have to buy it or I just don’t go. The moment I walked up and saw a 40 minute wait for Seas with Nemo and a 25 minute wait for Living with the Land, two rides that previously were walk on for the past decade or more, it puts me in a position to have to buy the awful service.

What they don’t realize is that for someone like me, I used to visit the parks much more frequently as a local to ride things with the kids on my days off and we would eat lunch in the parks and I would usually buy them a little something, but now I have to use that money for stupid fast passes so we don’t have to stand in the Florida heat and also because they are still young enough that they are too impatient to wait 40 minutes for a ride. So now we have to eat at home before we come to the park and there is not extra money to buy them anything extra. So yes, the overall experience for me as a parent feeling like we went to the park, and got on a handful of rides, had lunch with the kiddos and maybe brought them home with a small souvenir is much worse. I guarantee they used to get more money out of me that way but it just didn’t sting as much knowing we sat and had a meal together in a fun restaurant at the park and I was able to buy my kids a little gift.

No, unfortunately, Disney realizes this and is thrilled.

Restaurants require staffing. They require perishable supplies with fluctuating wholesale pricing and costly storage conditions and as we already know, there is limited capacity for operation of them, currently.

Merchandise has to be purchased. Disney buys in bulk and marks up to high heaven ($15 for a pin with their design on it manufactured wholesale for under $1) but it still has to be shipped from China and stored and they need people to work all those registers, to handle shrinkage, etc.

Genie+? Nearly pure profit. They have to pay people at the front of the lines, just like they did for FP+ but it's generating money now so compared to what came before, it's practically pure profit.

They'd rather make money off you without having to do anything to earn it so if it's betwen Genie+ and food and merch, the'd much rather you blow your money on Genie+.

As for that food and merch, someone else will buy it but not having you do it means less stress on their quick service and probably doesn't put a dent in their merch since their biggest success there is from out-of-towners ready to plunk down half a grand or more on a single visit snapping up their stuff rather than locals and semi-locals (like you and me) who buy things here and there but often aren't interested in the same stuff we see again and again on visits.

This is the company that for decades actively fought legalized gambling in Florida but is now actively trying to license one of their brands for sports betting.

They're no longer in the entertainment business - they're in the make a penny any way possible business.

Don't be surprised if the next time you go to a resort or parking lot entrance, if you find a cast member just beyond the gate/toll booth ready to spit on your windshield and then clean it off for $10. After all, as was used in the excuse to justify resort fees, it's a well established practice in many large cities already and they have to be competitive. No good reason they should be missing out on those dollars, right?* :rolleyes:

*that's bitter sarcasm for those who like to take things literally - I'd like to fend off any debates on that statement now, if possible.

_

Last edited:

curry767

Yes, they have made changes but we are not going to see if they have had any positive effect (from a consumer perspective) until the crowds rebound in October.

It could end being a product that people love in the middle and loath at the end of the year

pdude81

A couple of questions:

1) When Bob and Josh say "Genie" and "Genie+", are they including Individual Lightning Lane purchases? Part of me suspects that any time they say "Genie", they really mean "Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane". Was there anything in the BOA call that indicated Josh was talking about G+, ILL, or both?

2) I could be wrong on the math here, but:

50% of guests buy G+ according to Chapek
70% would buy it again, according to Josh

So 50% of current guests are buying it, but only 35% of future guests will buy it? That's the message? Like, I need to know more context here to know whether 70% is good or bad, right?
Sure, but first if we assume that 70 percent are return visitors and then 50% of the new visitors buy it, that's a slight increase. Obviously this is fast and loose math.

And if we try to think of the number of people here and elsewhere that say they Disney is ripping us off and won't pay for this, and then do anyway, then I honestly think it's a lot higher than 70 percent who would actually buy it again.

As someone said earlier, that's different than product satisfaction, but the cash flow doesn't lie about it's popularity.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Genie+ is so good they had to halt sales after a certain date soon (January 1? March 1? I don’t remember) so they could make changes to it due of the abundance of complaints CS has been fielding about it. Definitely sounds like something that’s liked by 70% of some questionable number of consumers.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney does not have to spend money to expand the parks now because people will just pay for genie+ to try to get some halfway decent experience of attraction out of the thousands they spend to go there.

Sadly it’s a problem (for us) they’ve created and they are now doubling down and cashing in on that problem

If only the magical suit people could experience the parks like common folks do. Until then they’ll never get it and it’ll all be about money and to make them look good in the company for finding new ways to make money

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom