Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Anybody who expects Disney to magically make things better is kidding themselves. There is no solution here (well, there is, but they couldn't do it at this point even if they wanted to), just different sets of tradeoffs. Lots of people are going to be disappointed no matter what they do now.
Yea but with every announcement like this that involving planning, they keep digging a grave

Thepuma

Ah...now the rush to purchase this BEFORE grabbing your LL's every day.... The vacation mornings just get more hectic.

So how did this meeting go between the board of Directors and the customer service manager

BoD: "Hey CSM, what's one of the biggest gripes at the moment with our guests?"

CSM: "They are fed up of getting up at 7am every morning and having to book Genie Plus reservations and ILL reservations and going through the payment system while time is ebbing away to get ILL and G+"

BoD: "Ah right....so how can we make this easier and better for our hard working already stressed customers"

CSM: " Let's make them pay for Genie+ in the same morning they have to do all the above and take away the option to do it in advance"

BoD: "Sounds like a brilliant idea..bravo sir"

CSM: " ill get onto it ASAP...they will love this"

It almost feels like since covid, Disney have tried as hard as possible to ruin their reputation and ruin the average guests experience.

It's hard to think how worse it could be...but it bet Disney do.

Thepuma

That’s subjective. I much preferred FP+ to paper FastPasses.

It’s clear that FP+ is a divisive topic. We can all agree that the system had its fans as well as its detractors. That’s a very different situation from what we’re seeing with Genie+, however. Yes, some people have reported positive experiences with the new system, but I’ve yet to see anyone argue that it’s an improvement on FP+.
To be honest the biggest gripes I've heard is from lazy people who can't be bothered to plan ahead and spend 2 minutes of their time booking 3 x FP+ 30 days before their trip....

And then now these same people don't have too, they are now moaning that they don't want to have to get up at 7am...because, as we found out before with FP+, they don't want to put any effort in.

There is NOTHING better about G+ then FP+...its a huge backwards step as almost everything is with Disney since the pandemic began.

Yeah I think Disney is trying to figure out what they want their customer base to look like. They want some level of DVC members and AP folks, since that is a predictable revenue stream. They also want to make sure the once in a lifetime trips are pleasant ones, and know that those people will pay more to ensure a good experience. I am the type of person they probably don't like. I traditionally go every 3-4 years, when new stuff comes out. I don't spend a ton at the parks really.

Disney Glimpses

I wouldn't be surprised if they focus their AP sales more on DVC and have a more limited supply for locals
Internal DVC inventory is a problem right now; grain of salt but what I have heard. Supposedly they are continuing to ROFR contracts to keep the resale market from imploding but not moving any of those contracts on the direct side.

Now, they are also a bit more willing to do this than usual as it has the added benefit of alleviating the inventory issues created by COVID closures.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
So is going to increase in price? $20? $25? Purchase after midnight or something like 6am?

I feel the price hike is coming because they tempered us with ‘Oh Boy! Demand is so high. We have to fix this for you.’

FP+ got gripes from people trying to book high demand rides like 7D and FOP sixty days out. They also didn't like having to nail down the park they were going to ahead of time. Park reservations and limited hopping have made that astronomically worse. None of those problems were fixed with Genie +, and not only that, you have the added stress of paying a lot for a vacation and not knowing if you will actually get to experience what you want to experience.

Thepuma

I agree. OG Fastpass encouraged a system of running through the parks to get to the machines. A system like that put people with mobility issues at. a disadvantage as well as causes general annoyance with other guest and the runners push through the crowds.

FP+ was superior.
FP+ is a million times better system.

However ...this G+ is even more dangerous...at rope drop there is the normal stampede to the biggest ride...now we don't only have to join the stampede....we have to do it while staring at our phones frantically looking to get a LL+ and getting it paid...inevitably the system sating there's been a problem..and then try again, at a time 3 hours later than you first booked.....not only you, but half the people in the stampede.

G+ is just a poorly made, poorly designed and poorly implemented system.

pdude81

Internal DVC inventory is a problem right now; grain of salt but what I have heard. Supposedly they are continuing to ROFR contracts to keep the resale market from imploding but not moving any of those contracts on the direct side.
They could stop ROFRing them at disgustingly high prices and more would sell on the resale side, but perhaps they think that will tank sales of the VGF hotel room points.

Thepuma

To ANYONE that thinks this is good, you are sadly mistaken

This entire thing needs a major overhaul....

This is going backwards, not forward
Everything about G+ has been a step back..everything. There isn't a single improvement over FP+...yet we have to pay for it. They must be the only business in the world who can get away with such ineptitude. Its almost like they are trying to p1ss off most their customers, because this doesn't look like an accident to me....it would take a special type of brainless moron to come out with such a bad system.

See, I think G+ "could" have been a good system. Virtual queues are an excellent idea in general, but the stress and difficulty of securing highly desired reservations kills a lot of the benefits of it. And having to manage it day of gives people a sense of insecurity about spending money on a trip with a high chance of having a poor outcome.

kalel8145

FP+ is a million times better system.

However ...this G+ is even more dangerous...at rope drop there is the normal stampede to the biggest ride...now we don't only have to join the stampede....we have to do it while staring at our phones frantically looking to get a LL+ and getting it paid...inevitably the system sating there's been a problem..and then try again, at a time 3 hours later than you first booked.....not only you, but half the people in the stampede.

G+ is just a poorly made, poorly designed and poorly implemented system.

total divas running GIF by E!

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
How? How could they underestimate this?

They spent decades training guests to wait in virtual queues. Why did they think a nominal fee would change that behavior?
And training us that splurging a little more could make our trip so much better. $15 is nothing compared to $100-200 add-ons like dessert parties or special hours tickets. We can buy Genie and LL for the whole trip cheaper than 1 night Halloween Tixx.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom