Disney Family Foundation Plans Museum Expansion

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Museum proposal to expand
By Emily Fancher
Staff Writer

Disney foundation plans to rent historic Presidio building

The Disney Family Foundation plans to boost its presence in the Presidio, increasing significantly the amount of space it rents in the national park.

In 2004, the foundation announced plans to open a museum honoring the life of Walt Disney in historic barracks, prompting some park advocates to question if the museum would be an appropriate tenant.

Plans for a family library and possibly rehabilitating and renting a second building will be announced soon, officials said.

The museum will hold a prominent place in the Main Post, which officials hope to revitalize in the coming years with gardens and fields as part of a larger vision to draw more visitors.

Tia Lombardi said the Presidio Trust is still in negotiations with the foundation, a nonprofit controlled by Disney’s heirs, on expanding to 122 Riley, a 17,000-square-foot building near the barracks the foundation expects will house the museum. Lombardi said she had no estimate on how much the entire project would cost, but added it would likely be more than $5 million to retrofit each structure.

The additional building could be the site of a family library and other uses, according to minutes of a board of directors meeting.

“It could easily double the size of the project,” said John Pelka, who works on environmental review for the Presidio Trust, the organization charged with overseeing the national park.

Lombardi said the trust will hold a meeting with the community this spring to discuss changes to the plans and unveil revised designs. An environmental review will follow, she said.

John Rizzo, head of the local chapter of the Sierra Club, said his organization continues to oppose the museum.

“It’s actually probably part of the marketing machine of the Disney corporation,” he said. “We still believe the Presidio’s original stated mission is to house groups that are doing good for society.”

Lombardi said the museum is not a marketing tool for the company.

“The Disney Family Foundation is not the Disney Corporation,” she said. “There is no relationship between the two.”

Disney’s daughter, Diane Miller, did not respond to requests for comment made through a spokesperson at a winery she owns.

Steven Krefting of the Presidio Environmental Council said he has mixed feelings about the museum. “I realize the need to find entities that can fund retrofitting of those brick buildings,” he said, referring to the huge cost to upgrade the park’s historic structures. “But at the same time, the connection between Disney and the park is tenuous. “

Redmond Kernan, of the Fort Point and Presidio Historical Association, agrees, but he added that the upside is the museum could help increase the visibility of the park.

“If it draws people, that isn’t all bad,” he said.

CaliSurfer182

Thanks for this post, I have been looking for new information on what is going on with this museum for a while. I looked on the Presidio website, but they haven't had anything new published on this matter since December 2004.

Is this thing still in the works or did it get squashed?

I thought it was an amazing idea, and it should be a huge draw to any community! I don't understand these negative comments, I mean Walt Disney was a huge positive impact on society and mankind. Also all it takes is a little research to see the Walt Disney Foundation is a totally seperate entity from the Walt Disney Company. I don't even see why the WDC would be a negative draw, sure they are a huge corporation, but they still do a lot for society too!

cherrynegra

Original Poster
CaliSurfer182 said:
Thanks for this post, I have been looking for new information on what is going on with this museum for a while. I looked on the Presidio website, but they haven't had anything new published on this matter since December 2004.

Is this thing still in the works or did it get squashed?

I thought it was an amazing idea, and it should be a huge draw to any community! I don't understand these negative comments, I mean Walt Disney was a huge positive impact on society and mankind. Also all it takes is a little research to see the Walt Disney Foundation is a totally seperate entity from the Walt Disney Company. I don't even see why the WDC would be a negative draw, sure they are a huge corporation, but they still do a lot for society too!

Well, I drove by the site a couple of months ago and noticed nothing had moved forward. I'll try to drive by and take pics of the proposed site. It's only ten minutes away from me.

I was surprised they wanted the museum here, but his daughter lives in Napa so it made sense that they'd want it nearby on a beautiful site. I hope it goes through as well. I mean the Lucas campus nearby is huge and it's on the Presidio. Hopefully the muckymucks won't muck it up. It would be great to have a bit of Disney in my backyard!!:D

CaliSurfer182

I'd appreciate it, I have been following this story for a while, and I would just like to know what is going on. It's not as easy for me to check out northern cali as it used to be. :)

cherrynegra

Original Poster
CaliSurfer182 said:
I'd appreciate it, I have been following this story for a while, and I would just like to know what is going on. It's not as easy for me to check out northern cali as it used to be. :)

Finally made the trip I promised you CaliSurfer182. You can view my report with pics here. Hope you like the pics!!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom