Disney expanded 60 day rule??

Jon81uk

At 180 days out, many regular visitors simply wouldn’t bother rushing to book ADRs. So those that took the trouble to do so probably had less competition. On the other hand what it did mean was a lot of double booking, where people booked a couple of places and then cancelled one later once FPs were booked and plans were firmed up.

By 60 days, most people will know their plans. There might be disappointment for more people

The old system was good for those who could book at 180 days as you say. But for people who didn’t book their trip that early they will be disappointed.
If everyone can book at 60 days it levels the playing field

nickys

Premium Member
Agreed. Overall I think it’s a positive move.
The old system was good for those who could book at 180 days as you say. But for people who didn’t book their trip that early they will be disappointed.
If everyone can book at 60 days it levels the playing field

Schweino

Original Poster
Agreed. Overall I think it’s a positive move.
My only hesitation with the 60 day rule, and this is in the post-covid world where everything is back to normal, is the bum rush on the 60th day. While it may level the playing field, I think the surge in traffic doesn't really make it 'level' and it is still more of a lottery and hope you book fast enough. I'd like to think that is why Disney allowed 180 day advances, to prevent that mass spike, but Im just guessing and I am def not a Disney historian when it comes to booking trips :)

EDIT: I think about a recent Jordan XIII release where I lost out on shoes within 2 minutes of release

Jon81uk

My only hesitation with the 60 day rule, and this is in the post-covid world where everything is back to normal, is the bum rush on the 60th day. While it may level the playing field, I think the surge in traffic doesn't really make it 'level' and it is still more of a lottery and hope you book fast enough. I'd like to think that is why Disney allowed 180 day advances, to prevent that mass spike, but Im just guessing and I am def not a Disney historian when it comes to booking trips :)

EDIT: I think about a recent Jordan XIII release where I lost out on shoes within 2 minutes of release

I would also like to see them hold back some capacity for walk-ups in some places. So the big tickets (such as CRT and BOG dinner) might be almost reservation only. But it would be good if the second tier places kept some tables open, or at the very least didn't just staff to the reservations expected. has already been said, empty tables with no-one to serve them is worse than the place being busy but not taking walk up.

DisAl

We liked the 180 day ADR system. Our family always plans way in advance. It's not like you are locked in to a particular reservation if you change your mind later, and we like having that part of trip planning behind us well in advance. I don't see where going to 60 days "levels the field" in any way; it just compresses the demand into a shorter time period.

Schweino

Original Poster
We liked the 180 day ADR system. Our family always plans way in advance. It's not like you are locked in to a particular reservation if you change your mind later, and we like having that part of trip planning behind us well in advance. I don't see where going to 60 days "levels the field" in any way; it just compresses the demand into a shorter time period.
I believe the logic is that people don't necessarily have the luxury for a multitude of reasons to plan that far in advance, so they don't book their Disney trip that early. Disney is too expensive for me personally to NOT book that far in advance, but I can understand the view point. I have a colleague who can't plan anything more than a month in advance because of three kids and numerous school/sport activities, so I get it.

JIMINYCR

The 180 day ADR window was open to all.
No... the 60 days was for those staying off site. Staying onsite you had the advantage of booking further ahead which in some cases allowed you a much better chance of getting the most wanted and most competed for dining spots. There was a definite advantage for booking a resort and getting in on 180 days staying onsite vs offsite. As one who always planned ahead it was allowing me to grab many reservations that otherwise would not be available or would be much harder to find a table at later on.

JIMINYCR

EXACTLY... more people trying to book the same tables now at 60 days. Youve now lost any advantage that reserving an onsite room got you. Disney always used that 180 days booking advantage as a perk/reason to book with them. With less tables available it negates the argument that less people going to Disney opens up more available tables. Youre still losing the advantage you once had over those staying offsite.

JIMINYCR

I believe the logic is that people don't necessarily have the luxury for a multitude of reasons to plan that far in advance, so they don't book their Disney trip that early. Disney is too expensive for me personally to NOT book that far in advance, but I can understand the view point. I have a colleague who can't plan anything more than a month in advance because of three kids and numerous school/sport activities, so I get it.
There are LOTS of people who who book their trips far in advance, as early as Disney allows TA's to book. And many who would book even further in advance if it was an option. We are one of those who need to line up a lot of things regarding our business schedule, life schedule and commitments a year in advance to make a Disney trip work for us. Those who cant due to kids and other reasons who book later take their chances that some events or details they desire will not be as easy to get.

nickys

Premium Member
No... the 60 days was for those staying off site. Staying onsite you had the advantage of booking further ahead which in some cases allowed you a much better chance of getting the most wanted and most competed for dining spots. There was a definite advantage for booking a resort and getting in on 180 days staying onsite vs offsite. As one who always planned ahead it was allowing me to grab many reservations that otherwise would not be available or would be much harder to find a table at later on.
You are confusing ADRs with FPs.

For ADRs, everyone could book at 180 days ahead. If you stayed offsite you had to book one day at a time. Staying onsite meant you could book for the whole of your stay (up to 10 days) at once.

There was no huge advantage to staying onsite for ADRs, only the ability to book for up to 10 days at once.

FPs could be booked at 60 days out for the full length of your stay if you were staying onsite. If staying offsite you could only book 30 days ahead.

MickeyCB

I love using touring plans reservation finder. (I think I'm allowed to mention another site on here)?
For our upcoming trip on the 60 day hunger games event (pun intended), I couldn't get Topolino's, and I put it in their search tool, and within a week received notice a reservation was available and jumped on it!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love using touring plans reservation finder. (I think I'm allowed to mention another site on here)?
For our upcoming trip on the 60 day hunger games event (pun intended), I couldn't get Topolino's, and I put it in their search tool, and within a week received notice a reservation was available and jumped on it!
Yes, that site you can mention. It has been a big help to me, even for finding open times in which to move a reservation in the same day.

It's free (with registration on the site), but I always give the site a one-year sub in gratitude for it.

Jon81uk

EXACTLY... more people trying to book the same tables now at 60 days. Youve now lost any advantage that reserving an onsite room got you. Disney always used that 180 days booking advantage as a perk/reason to book with them. With less tables available it negates the argument that less people going to Disney opens up more available tables. Youre still losing the advantage you once had over those staying offsite.

There never was an advantage to staying on-site for dining reservations, you are getting mixed up with FP+.

Anyone could book any dining at 180 days, you don't need tickets, reservations or anything, just a credit card and a phone/internet access to make the booking.
Its pretty much the same as booking any other restaurant in the world, most will only take reservations 60 or 90 days in advance.

nickys

Premium Member
There never was an advantage to staying on-site for dining reservations, you are getting mixed up with FP+.

Anyone could book any dining at 180 days, you don't need tickets, reservations or anything, just a credit card and a phone/internet access to make the booking.
Its pretty much the same as booking any other restaurant in the world, most will only take reservations 60 or 90 days in advance.
You did get the length of stay advantage, so staying more than a week helped quite a bit.

But still not a huge advantage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom