Disney College Program

terry55

Original Poster
My daughter has been chosen to participate in the college intern program for this coming spring semester and I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this program and what do you think about it. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Terry

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It's a good experience... living away from home, supporting yourself, and making contacts within one of the largest companies on earth. Also... prepare to send care packages consisting of cash... lol.

A car is recommended since Orlando is NOT pedestrian friendly at all, and the public transportation is HORRID.

If you have anymore questions, catch me on AIM (senorloc0... that last 0 is a zero)

pyschotropic

If you are placed in an Operations role which I am pretty familiar with the tasks that need to be handled in this role, where do you think they would place me in the beginning? Would I be able to advance, change positions or stay in a work location if I like it, my main objective is to work as many attractions as possible while I am there.

terry55

Original Poster
intern

pyscho are you there now? I am in need of advice or help on tring to figure out what to do. I have been chosen for merchandizing and I will be going down in Jan-May. Any advice will be appreciated.

bdhowell

PLEASE GO!!!!!!!! It is a great experience. I had many friends who worked in merchandise and loved it. I worked at Spaceship Earth at EPCOT and loved every minute of it. It will build your resume tremendously!!!!!!!!!

dream it, do it, DISNEY!!!!!!!! :)

Smitty

If you are placed in Operations you can work in Parking, Park Greeting or Attractions. You will be placed in one area and likely will stay there for your entire program unless you are redeployed to another area. So, your chances of working as many attractions as possible are very slim, unless you are placed in an area where the rotations include several attractions. These generally include places like Tomorrowland and some areas of EPCOT and the Studios.

And to the parent who is wondering if your daughter should go. The answer to that is, let her decide. If she chooses to go, she will have a life changing experience. She may or may not love the program, but it will change her. 99 % of the time for the better! She'll come home with a Fortune 100 company on her resume and a lot more confidence. But the program isn't for everyone. I encourage her to give it a try and if she hates it, she can always leave. That's my advice!

terry55

Original Poster
Smitty is that yahoo IM, I am a little concerned about Health Insurance since my carier will drop her unless she is taking 12 semestr hrs. She has been placed in merchandise is this a good spot for her?

Terry

Smitty

Merchandise can be a great spot. Your role is what you make of it essentially! The shifts can range form very early to very late, so she should be prepared for that. And at the most she will only be there between 30-50 hours a week. The rest of the time is hers to explore WDW and Orlando and just live it up for a semester!

For insurance the Company reccommends Fortis. They are a company that specializes in temporary insurance. They have very reasonable prices and good coverage. I used it when I did my CP and had no problems. Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom