Disney Chess Set

G00fyDad

Original Poster
My son has recently taken an interest in chess. I seem to remember seeing a chess set in Disney someplace. I know they have the expensive one in the Emporium (I think), but I am looking for a cheaper style for us when we get there in four months. Can anyone tell me where they may sell something like this?

Also, does anyone know how much the expensive one in the Emporium is? I was thinking something like $200 to $300.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Awww, I LOVE chess!

Have you shown him "Meeting Bobby Fischer"?

I had his chess book when I started to get into it. If you've not read it, it's a very easy read (lots of diagrams and pictures), and Bobby had a very...unique...way of learning to see the board, and his style of presentation is very straight forward. Certainly not a "beginners" book, but certainly a level II read once someone knows the basics of the game.

I've read a lot of chess books (well, not a LOT, but more than 3 <grin>), and this one not only taught me more about the game and made me a better player, but also was a very enjoyable read.
He presents it more like a book of puzzles...logic problems, if you will, and breaks that up with discussions on terms and tactics. Anyhow, it's worth checking out!

http://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Fischer-Teaches-Chess/dp/0553263153

Anyhow, my Dad gave me that, a tournament set and a clock for my birthday (I already knew how to play, I was 11, I think?). I loved playing 5 minute and 10 minute games with friends (5 minutes is a REAALLY short game! Completely changes the style of play...

Anyhow, sorry, nerd ramble.

I would imagine any set they sell on property is going to be a collectors only item and sell in the 200 - 300 range...but I can't confirm that.

Have you looked online?

I have seen a Disney set that was Pirates themed...they called it PoTC: Dead Man's Chess, and the pun made me chuckle.

But, if I were buying, I would want this one!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/161033813142?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Awww, I LOVE chess!

Have you shown him "Meeting Bobby Fischer"?

I had his chess book when I started to get into it. If you've not read it, it's a very easy read (lots of diagrams and pictures), and Bobby had a very...unique...way of learning to see the board, and his style of presentation is very straight forward. Certainly not a "beginners" book, but certainly a level II read once someone knows the basics of the game.

I've read a lot of chess books (well, not a LOT, but more than 3 <grin>), and this one not only taught me more about the game and made me a better player, but also was a very enjoyable read.
He presents it more like a book of puzzles...logic problems, if you will, and breaks that up with discussions on terms and tactics. Anyhow, it's worth checking out!

http://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Fischer-Teaches-Chess/dp/0553263153

Anyhow, my Dad gave me that, a tournament set and a clock for my birthday (I already knew how to play, I was 11, I think?). I loved playing 5 minute and 10 minute games with friends (5 minutes is a REAALLY short game! Completely changes the style of play...

Anyhow, sorry, nerd ramble.

I would imagine any set they sell on property is going to be a collectors only item and sell in the 200 - 300 range...but I can't confirm that.

Have you looked online?

I have seen a Disney set that was Pirates themed...they called it PoTC: Dead Man's Chess, and the pun made me chuckle.

But, if I were buying, I would want this one!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/161033813142?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Yeah, I saw that one, and I may still get one off of eBay, but he really wants to get one in Disney. He's weird like that. LOL Oh well. If all they have are the $200 to $300 ones then I'll get one of those. I just hoped they'd have one (plastic) in the $25 to $35 range. If I get the expensive one he cannot get it out unless I am with him. It will be one of the more expensive things we have ever bought there. Even more expensive than the monorail set he got last time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom