Disney changes policy for MyMagic+ RFID 'touch to pay' PIN code requirements

ratherbeinwdw

Great. I'm glad they realized someone could steal a card and with no pin needed, they could, very quickly, rack up quite a balance on someone's account with those less than 50.00 charges.

GrumpyFan

Not sure if I like this change or not.
Doesn't requiring a PIN code for every purchase ruin some of the "express" aspect though?
I get that it's about protecting the guest in the event the band is stolen, but this just seems like it makes it a bit more complicated.

bgraham34

Not sure if I like this change or not.
Doesn't requiring a PIN code for every purchase ruin some of the "express" aspect though?
I get that it's about protecting the guest in the event the band is stolen, but this just seems like it makes it a bit more complicated.

How could that be complicated. Place your wrist on the scanner and type in a 4 digit code. If you can't do that you should stay home and just stare at the wall.

GrumpyFan

How could that be complicated. Place your wrist on the scanner and type in a 4 digit code. If you can't do that you should stay home and just stare at the wall.
In the grand scheme, you're right, it's not complicated, really, it just slows things down, compared to just the swipe and go.

bgraham34

In the grand scheme, you're right, it's not complicated, really, it just slows things down, compared to just the swipe and go.

That I can agree with you with. But you have to understand that without the pin code Disney World would become the mecca for criminals in trying to steal your RFID information. This does not mean it wont happen but at least there are some security measures in place.

JungleTrekFan

That I can agree with you with. But you have to understand that without the pin code Disney World would become the mecca for criminals in trying to steal your RFID information. This does not mean it wont happen but at least there are some security measures in place.
What criminals? How are they stealing anything? Your Key"s to the World card has RFID as do most credit cards, and you only need a signature for purchases over $50. Anyone could forge a signature. I think this is disney just dealing with people who are scared of this “new” technology that is already in your cards. The pins for under $50 transactions will be annoying and a waste of time, eventually they’ll go back to the way it was suppose to be when people stop being scared of the nothing that is changing. But since Tom stages said it, now everyone is freaking out, even though its already in place, and their is no mecca of crime that your expecting.

juniorthomas

What criminals? How are they stealing anything? Your Key"s to the World card has RFID as do most credit cards, and you only need a signature for purchases over $50. Anyone could forge a signature. I think this is disney just dealing with people who are scared of this “new” technology that is already in your cards. The pins for under $50 transactions will be annoying and a waste of time, eventually they’ll go back to the way it was suppose to be when people stop being scared of the nothing that is changing. But since Tom stages said it, now everyone is freaking out, even though its already in place, and their is no mecca of crime that your expecting.

Truth. If we're able to survive these mean streets in the world, I'm thinking we'll be able to survive those clean(ish) streets inside of The World.

awoogala

it's never been on my card. I have always refused my cc being tied to my kttw cards. Hopefully I will still have that option if I ever use this new band.

SirLink

Here is a simple example of the ease of stealing from an RFID http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5772197_do-scan-credit-cards-purse_.html

I recently saw a report by Georgia Tech students on how easy this is to do. The pin is a good thing.

TBH no information is stored on a the 'chip' its a reference to the data on a server somewhere in Kissimmee. But the fact that the new system wasn't requiring any checks and balances under $50 was troubling ... I would love to see how they are trying for speed and encryption with the data though...

PhilharMagician

With all the hoopla going on over the past few days at least this is a good thing. Punching in a 4 digit code should not slow down transactions in most cases.

Like the OP mentioned about CC and DC transactions at the grocery store, gas station or other retail locations do not require signature or authorization for charges under $50 in many locations now. I personally do not like this and rather sign or somehow prove it's me.

bgraham34

A criminal would be anyone who would want to steal your RFID information. you have no clue how easy it would be to steal RFID information off of someones wrist band. While waiting in line move your reader right by their wrist and you have the information. The pin is a good thing and it wont slow down purchases anymore than they are now. Google how to steal RFID information and you will understand. If you don't have a problem with not supplying a pin I say go for it but you sign a waiver saying you wave your rights and Disney holds no responsibility if your data is stolen.

We have RFID equipment hear and we purchased a reader and were able to hack Peoples Credit info.

JungleTrekFan

A criminal would be anyone who would want to steal your RFID information. you have no clue how easy it would be to steal RFID information off of someones wrist band. While waiting in line move your reader right by their wrist and you have the information. The pin is a good thing and it wont slow down purchases anymore than they are now. Google how to steal RFID information and you will understand. If you don't have a problem with not supplying a pin I say go for it but you sign a waiver saying you wave your rights and Disney holds no responsibility if your data is stolen.

We have RFID equipment hear and we purchased a reader and were able to hack Peoples Credit info.

TBH no information is stored on a the 'chip' its a reference to the data on a server somewhere in Kissimmee.
^That^
And thats not different from the tags that are in all Key’s to the World now, and have been since what last year, or last summer. If your credit card was on that card they were equally at the minimal risk people are worried about now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom