News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

WDW John

So, they are entirely leaving out customers who regularly visit but don't subscribe to Disney+, like me. I know I'm not alone. What a stupid, short-sighted plan.
I’m not sure what you are upset about. Disney says they will use Disney+ viewing metrics to inform experiences in the park. You don’t provide any viewing metrics but somehow feel left out of providing viewing metrics. What is it you wish Disney was doing here?

BlakeW39

Christine, that’s fine if

No, it's really not. Disney saying they have no interest in creating new things or innovating new stories and ideas isn't really "okay."

We should NOT be giving them a pass on this IP mandate crap just because we see it as unlikely they'll ever change it. Yes it is what it is. But make no mistake, it is coming at the cost of good theme park design and thematic direction in the parks.

Smiley/OCD

No, it's really not. Disney saying they have no interest in creating new things or innovating new stories and ideas isn't really "okay."

We should NOT be giving them a pass on this IP mandate crap just because we see it as unlikely they'll ever change it. Yes it is what it is. But make no mistake, it is coming at the cost of good theme park design and thematic direction in the parks.
My 2 main concerns are
A) TWDC doesn’t “corrupt” Epcot with IP (yeah, I know I’m dreaming)
And 2) TWDC doesn’t resort to using “irrelevant” or brand new IP with no established longevity just to place IP…

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
:/ I mean I know this is the case but it really makes me disappointed that this is the future of Disney Parks.

I'm halfway there with you.

There is a lot of "Classic IP" in the parks right now that is very well done.

There is also a lot of "New IP" where it is either:

Very well implemented, but based on weak IP (SWGE with the Sequel Trilogy Characters)
Poorly implemented, based on strong IP (Toy Story Land)
Poorly Implemented, with out of place IP (Harmonious)
Very well implemented, with out of place IP (GOTG)

The problem you have is that WDI has no inherent creative ability anymore and the IP crutch they want to use is based on IP that, as much as Disney wants to tell you they're the bestest ever story tellers, has been mediocre at best.

Also, they're cheap.

EPCOT-O.G.

I don’t like this, but I get it. When attractions of any type - E, D, C ticket levels - costs hundreds of millions which need to be justified by quantifiable merchandise sales or upticks in attendance, the built in audience an IP brings is viewed as a “safer bet” than an unknown or unproven commodity.

What’s more dismaying is this is a one way street, where stuff like the SEA show is stuck in development hell. I guess the Figment film is being developed but remains to be seen how that deal will play out.

BlakeW39

My 2 main concerns are
A) TWDC doesn’t “corrupt” Epcot with IP (yeah, I know I’m dreaming)
And 2) TWDC doesn’t resort to using “irrelevant” or brand new IP with no established longevity just to place IP…

oh, okay, well allow me to assert this point then:

there is NO reality in which TWDC only uses existing IPs in its parks but also keeps the parks' thematic identities in tact. None.

You CANNOT build a theme park with consistent themes and tone, like Animal Kingdom or EPCOT Center, by cobbling together a bunch of random IPs that have nothing to do with one another.

Furthermore the parks can never reach their full potential if all they do is "exploit" and "leverage" Disney's brand and franchises. You won't get Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, or on the other hand Horizons or Journey into Imagination, by only using popular IP, i.e. "the ones that really resonate with our cattle— I mean consumers."

EPCOT-O.G.

If it results in MORE ATTRACTIONS in the parks, I am OK with it.
With DAK I don’t know we have any added capacity with currently rumored plans (unless you reset the baseline to what’s presently closed relative to a few years ago).

MK’s additions look to be more attractions over what’s there.

I don’t think anything’s been announced as coming to DHS, and they’ve recently confirmed the reimagining of EPCOT will be ending with Moana/World Celebration, so nothing new there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom