Disney cast pin trading!

djmatthews

Original Poster
A quick question.

How do cast members pins work? What I mean is, I understand they have to trade with you. Do the cast pay for their pins, do Disney make certain cast so it or is it by choice? Can any cast member do it?

Just something I was wondering.

Pioneer Hall

I believe they can have a lanyard if they want and disney will provide them with the pins for it. But I heard they are responsible for the pins on teh lanyard. If any are missing it comes out of their check.

JackSkellington

Here is the deal. The CM's do have to trade with you. However they can specify what kind of trade. Like one in DTD would only trade Lanyard Pins for another one. And if they loose a pin it does comeout of their paycheck.

guwag

Oh Trust me, I probably would despite the rubber bits (I knew you didn't just carry them!) I've lost the most un-loseable objects before now, even if I take special care not to lose them, such as two cameras in the last year! :lol:

mickeysaver

Disney Pin Trading 101

I have pins, now what?
First a little background information....
The people that visit Walt Disney World are called guests. The people that work at Disney are called Cast Members. Cast Members often times wear lanyards much like the ones that you have been given. Some Cast Members wear green lanyards. The green lanyards mean that only kids 12 years old or younger can make pin trades with them. Some Cast Members wear black lanyards and they will pin trade with anyone of any age.

So, what is Disney pin trading?
It's a fun hobby that will allow you to make trades with Cast Members and other guests at Walt Disney World for pins that you like. Different pins are worth more money than others. The value of the pin is not important when you trade with Cast Members. What matters is if you like the pin!

Simple things to remember while pin trading....
First thing to remember is to be polite. Introduce yourself! "Please", "May I", and "Thank You", are all words that should be used in the process of a trade. It's not polite to touch someone's lanyard or their pins without asking first. Cast Members can only make two trades with each guest. Cast Members will only trade a pin that you want for a pin that they do not already have on their lanyard. You may not buy pins off of a Cast Member's lanyard.

Are there any special places to pin trade at Disney?
Yes, pin trading station locations are marked with a PT on the maps.
Magic Kingdom: Exposition Hall
Disney Studios: Under the Sorcerer's Hat
Animal Kingdom: Island Merchantile
EPCOT: Pin Central
Downtown Disney: World of Disney - They keep a special kids only book of pins here!
The Contemporary and All Star Movies Resorts also have a pin trading night.

What kind of pin can be traded at Disney?
Ideally, the pins should be metal and in good condition. They all should have the word Disney on the back. Usually the pins are from Disney characters, events, or of park icons. All the pins you have been given are 100% tradable at Disney.

So, how would I go about trading a pin with a Cast Member?
Imagine you are at the Magic Kingdom. Cinderella's Castle is just up ahead and the group stops to get their bearings. You are wearing your lanyard and are ready to trade. A Cast Member wearing a lanyard with pins is walking by and you want to see her pins.

You: "Excuse me, may I see your lanyard please? My name is Mickey."
CM: "Sure Mickey, nice to meet you!" And she then walks over and pulls her lanyard out so that you can get a better look. You see a Tigger pin that you really want.
You: "Would you please trade that Tigger pin with me?" And you begin to remove the 2000 logo pin that you want to use as a trader since she doesn't have one on her lanyard yet. You replace the back onto the pin you are trading away. You then hand it to her.
CM: "Sure!" She removes her Tigger pin. "There ya' go! I hope you enjoy it." She hands you the Tigger pin.
You: "Thank you for the trade!"
CM: "You're welcome Mickey."

If the Cast Member had nothing on her lanyard that you liked, you should at least say "Thanks for letting me look, but I didn't see anything that I liked." The Cast Members understand that you might not see anything that you want to make a trade for, but they appreciate it when you are polite about it.

Ok, that was easy enough. How do I trade with other guests?
With a guest to guest trade, it gets a little trickier. Other guests, especially the adults, are most likely really into pin trading. Sometimes they are more than willing to make a trade and sometimes, you just don't have what they are looking for. It's still important to be polite. Just remember that with a Cast Member trading will always be easier.

What if someone asks to trade with me?
Great! Take a look at their lanyard while they look at yours. If you don't see something you like, but they do, you can say "No, thank you!" Don't let ANYONE pressure you into trading when you don't want to. Pin trading should be fun. If you ever have a question about a trade, ask a Cast Member or other adult to help.

Anything else?
Yes, pin trading can be addictive. You can meet lots of nice Cast Members and Pin Pals while trading. Just remember to be polite and have fun! Enjoy!

Enderikari

JackSkellington said:
Here is the deal. The CM's do have to trade with you. However they can specify what kind of trade. Like one in DTD would only trade Lanyard Pins for another one. And if they loose a pin it does comeout of their paycheck.

Speaking as an avid Pin Collector and CM, this isn't necessarily true. Disney doesn't punish CM for losing one or two pins. Heck, sometimes a CM with a big heart will give a small child a pin that they really enjoy. I do that sometimes and have never been criticized (its not an every day thing, maybe once a weekish or so, as our manager says "Trust your Heart.") However, the DTD castmember should be reminded to always trade, not just Lanyard pin for Lanyard pin, after all, Disney makes those pins for the guests.

JackSkellington

Ok well many CM's told me if they loose a pin they pay for it. And the DTD CM would ONLY trade Lanyard for a Lanyard. I asked her and that was the deal. I understand they don't want to get the short end of the stick.

careship

Green Lanyards

And I didn't see this mentioned...but...CM's with a green lanyard can ONLY trade with kids not adults. My boys love pin trading and have had a ball. In fact, CM's have told my boys for certain pins...no you don't want to trade that with me for this look this is special lanyard CM only ones etc....One CM on Mainstreet saw that my son had nothing else he was willing to trade because he was collecting Mickey ones and saw he wanted the one he had so bad that he said wait a minute...came back and said I called Mickey and he wants you to have this and handed him the pin without trading....It is a great thing...the kids have a riot trading...they bought me a lanyard and I don't like to trade, but sometimes I'll trade one to get something for the boys that I know they'd like....

GoofyFan1

mickeysaver said:
Disney Pin Trading 101

I have pins, now what?
First a little background information....
The people that visit Walt Disney World are called guests. The people that work at Disney are called Cast Members. Cast Members often times wear lanyards much like the ones that you have been given. Some Cast Members wear green lanyards. The green lanyards mean that only kids 12 years old or younger can make pin trades with them. Some Cast Members wear black lanyards and they will pin trade with anyone of any age.

So, what is Disney pin trading?
It's a fun hobby that will allow you to make trades with Cast Members and other guests at Walt Disney World for pins that you like. Different pins are worth more money than others. The value of the pin is not important when you trade with Cast Members. What matters is if you like the pin!

Simple things to remember while pin trading....
First thing to remember is to be polite. Introduce yourself! "Please", "May I", and "Thank You", are all words that should be used in the process of a trade. It's not polite to touch someone's lanyard or their pins without asking first. Cast Members can only make two trades with each guest. Cast Members will only trade a pin that you want for a pin that they do not already have on their lanyard. You may not buy pins off of a Cast Member's lanyard.

Are there any special places to pin trade at Disney?
Yes, pin trading station locations are marked with a PT on the maps.
Magic Kingdom: Exposition Hall
Disney Studios: Under the Sorcerer's Hat
Animal Kingdom: Island Merchantile
EPCOT: Pin Central
Downtown Disney: World of Disney - They keep a special kids only book of pins here!
The Contemporary and All Star Movies Resorts also have a pin trading night.

What kind of pin can be traded at Disney?
Ideally, the pins should be metal and in good condition. They all should have the word Disney on the back. Usually the pins are from Disney characters, events, or of park icons. All the pins you have been given are 100% tradable at Disney.

So, how would I go about trading a pin with a Cast Member?
Imagine you are at the Magic Kingdom. Cinderella's Castle is just up ahead and the group stops to get their bearings. You are wearing your lanyard and are ready to trade. A Cast Member wearing a lanyard with pins is walking by and you want to see her pins.

You: "Excuse me, may I see your lanyard please? My name is Mickey."
CM: "Sure Mickey, nice to meet you!" And she then walks over and pulls her lanyard out so that you can get a better look. You see a Tigger pin that you really want.
You: "Would you please trade that Tigger pin with me?" And you begin to remove the 2000 logo pin that you want to use as a trader since she doesn't have one on her lanyard yet. You replace the back onto the pin you are trading away. You then hand it to her.
CM: "Sure!" She removes her Tigger pin. "There ya' go! I hope you enjoy it." She hands you the Tigger pin.
You: "Thank you for the trade!"
CM: "You're welcome Mickey."

If the Cast Member had nothing on her lanyard that you liked, you should at least say "Thanks for letting me look, but I didn't see anything that I liked." The Cast Members understand that you might not see anything that you want to make a trade for, but they appreciate it when you are polite about it.

Ok, that was easy enough. How do I trade with other guests?
With a guest to guest trade, it gets a little trickier. Other guests, especially the adults, are most likely really into pin trading. Sometimes they are more than willing to make a trade and sometimes, you just don't have what they are looking for. It's still important to be polite. Just remember that with a Cast Member trading will always be easier.

What if someone asks to trade with me?
Great! Take a look at their lanyard while they look at yours. If you don't see something you like, but they do, you can say "No, thank you!" Don't let ANYONE pressure you into trading when you don't want to. Pin trading should be fun. If you ever have a question about a trade, ask a Cast Member or other adult to help.

Anything else?
Yes, pin trading can be addictive. You can meet lots of nice Cast Members and Pin Pals while trading. Just remember to be polite and have fun! Enjoy!

Nicely done! :sohappy:

One word of caution: many of the traders you find at DTD, esp. at night, are very nice....some know how to work the deal. Be careful.

Trading really is meant to be fun. My daughter is pretty shy and doesn't usally talk to strangers. At DTD she saw a pin in one of the big traders bags. As a result, we met a man and his daughter from our home town. They go down for all of the special pin events. We can't get down there for those, so now my daughter can call and ask them to pick up a pin she may like, when they go. That's what pin trading is all about.

Above all else, be polite, and have fun! :D

tinkerbell71198

cm can not choos!

Hello, I don't know how long you have been pin trading but
cm Can not choos what pin you give that is your choise. the only thing
they don't have to do is trade the pins on their bodies like their
service pins if the cm told you this you could have asked for his
boss.I know that kinda sounds like tatteling on them but that cm should never have treated
a guest like that they don't have that kind of control. you should have told a manager about it
Tink.

tinkerbell71198

lost pins

Ok well many CM's told me if they loose a pin they pay for it. And the DTD CM would ONLY trade Lanyard for a Lanyard. I asked her and that was the deal. I understand they don't want to get the short end of the stick.

THey are just pulling your leg... i know several cms and they have worked at
wdw over 20 years and never once were they told to pay for a lost pin.I know pins were
not big back then but they still have to take part in the whole pin trading thing.
tink

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom