Disney bait & switch on Cyber Monday.

mwlillie

Original Poster
I went to www.shopdisney.com to see if there were any discounts on Cyber Monday. The banner on the landing pages says “30 percent discount on order over $150”. However, was unable to apply the discount on the items I was trying to purchase. Using this website’s chat function, I came to find out that the “Cyber” discount only applies to items marked with the word “Cyber”. Nowhere on the landing page, or for that matter on the item page, does it say this. There is a very vague comment within the explanation of the discount offered about “selected” items. You only find this out by not being able to apply the code and then talking to Disney. Just thought I give a head’s up. IMHO kinda lame on Disney's part (or the website's designer) not to make this more clear.

Mike730

07345222-26B5-4096-A5F7-682B3C515235.jpeg
The ad specifically says SITEWIDE, so this is supremely sketchy.

MrMcDuck

Right on the homepage on a PC and on a phone it says "Restrictions Apply". It's a completely normal sales tactic. Doesn't make it good but Disney is far from the only company that does it.

Your screenshot shows "restrictions apply" in reference to the Free Shipping offer, not the Cyber Monday offer. It is indeed (currently) a fact that the restrictions apply does not show on some of the pages (including the main page) for the Cyber Monday offer.

Tom P.

Once you do manage to locate the terms and conditions page, here what's excluded from this "sitewide" offer:

Shipping & Handling charges, Disney Theme Park Passes, D23 Memberships, D23 Merchandise, gift cards or certificates, The Walt Disney Company Collectible Shareholder Certificate, 3-D printed merchandise, Subscription products, personalization, gift wrap and gift boxes, Aden & Anais, Alex and Ani, Art & Collectibles, Barbie Signature, Barefoot Dreams, Beats by Dre, Bésame, Blu-ray™, Books, CDs, Chiara Ferragni, Circle by Disney, ColourPop, CRISLU, Disney Designer Jewelry Collection, Disney Vacation Club, Dooney & Bourke, DVDs, Electronic Toys, Enesco Busts and Figurines, Ethan Allen, Fantasy Flight Games, Freshly Picked, Garmin, Hanna Andersson, Jim Shore, kate spade new york, Kiehls, Le Creuset, LEGO Limited Release, Lenox, Levi’s, LÍLLÉbaby, Limited Edition and Limited Release merchandise, Lionel, MagicBand, Marvel Legends Series, Mickey The True Original Exhibition, Milk Snob, New Balance, Nixon, Olszewski, Opening Ceremony, Otterbox Electronics, PANDORA, Pandora: The World of Avatar Mountain Banshee, Petunia Pickle Bottom, Pippa & Julie, Precious Moments, rag & bone, Rags, Rebecca Hook, RockLove, S.T. Dupont, Sentiments, Sideshow Collectibles, Star Wars: The Black Series, Starbucks, Steiff, Terez, Thomas Kinkade, TOMS, Tommy Bahama, Vera Bradley, Video Games, Vinylmation, Waddle, and items not in stock.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your screenshot shows "restrictions apply" in reference to the Free Shipping offer, not the Cyber Monday offer. It is indeed (currently) a fact that the restrictions apply does not show on some of the pages (including the main page) for the Cyber Monday offer.

.. and you can't even click on "restriction apply" to get to the terms, you have to click to more places to get to it.

erasure fan1

Retailers, even our precious Disney, have misleading sales ads, big deal.
Unfortunately this type of practice is the norm for the vast majority of retail. It's almost comical to read the hidden restrictions/fine print on these promos. I remember the toys r us coupons would eliminate 95% of the store. The objective is to get you in the door and hope you still buy anyway.

Oriolesmagic

I mean, to be honest, if you're going to get upset at Disney for this. Then be prepared to also be upset at 80% of other online retailers.

This is the norm, not the exception. Doesn't make things any better for the consumer, but I feel like it's something that most people should be conscious of at this point.

Last edited:

MuteSuperstar

well I don't participate in any of this holiday feeding frenzy nonsense, so no skin off my nose. But I just find it beyond bizarre how willing people are now to give companies a pass on their crap service/quality/practices, and indeed, seem almost eager for them to make it even worse.
And I didn't see anyone saying their lives were being ruined, but whatever.

MrMcDuck

It really isn't hard to put "on select merchandise" if it's just a few items or "on almost everything in our store" if the exceptions are the usual gift cards, club memberships, and specialty artwork. It's just plain misleading to put "sitewide" when you have so many items that aren't covered by the sale. Disney is far from alone in doing this, that's true, but I don't see anything wrong with calling out misleading business practices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom