Discovery Launch During Holiday Wishes

MainSt1993

Original Poster
From Mouseplanet:

The space shuttle Discovery is currently scheduled to launch at 9:35 p.m. on Thursday night, which would be in the middle of the Holiday Wishes fireworks show during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. In fact, a delay of just a few minutes would allow the launch to be part of the finale of the show.

THAT'S HOT!! :sohappy:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
From Mouseplanet:

The space shuttle Discovery is currently scheduled to launch at 9:35 p.m. on Thursday night, which would be in the middle of the Holiday Wishes fireworks show during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. In fact, a delay of just a few minutes would allow the launch to be part of the finale of the show.

THAT'S HOT!! :sohappy:

It would have happened last night, if the launch hadn't been scrubbed. I personally think the view from World Showcase would be better. That's where I was...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone know some good spots at WDW to watch the launch from? We are staying at POP and will be at DTD around the time of the launch.

So the launch is at 8:47 tomorrow night? Any suggestions for a good viewing place, outside of the parks?

We arrive in Orlando tomorrow but aren't going to any parks until Sunday. Would we be able to view it from DTD or one of the resorts?

PhotoDave219

The 45th Weather weenies.... (you know, the ones who screwed everything up yesterday? If the clounds were 200 feet higher.....) sayeth that there's a 30% chance of favorable conditions at launch. Possible launch weather violations include forecasted crosswinds at SLF, low cloud ceiling and high winds on the pad.

The MMT will meet at 9:45 before tanking to decide to press on with a launch attempt Sat. Nite.

The correct launch inplane window is 8:47pm with the launch window closing at 8:52. Sunday is 8:25, Monday is 7:59 and Tuesday 7:36.

Best place to see it is ... well anywhere facing east.

Tracks N Slabs

The 45th Weather weenies....

I have to tell you your voicemail rant about the 45th was the funniest thing I've heard recently. :hammer: :hammer:

I'm actually hoping for a Monday or Tuesday launch. I don't think tomorrow will pan out and I'd hate to have them go through the whole tank, crew walk again to scrub in the last 3 (that and I have plans at launch time).

Dave, I think you and I should get a vote at the MMT meetings.

PhotoDave219

I have to tell you your voicemail rant about the 45th was the funniest thing I've heard recently. :hammer: :hammer:

I'm actually hoping for a Monday or Tuesday launch. I don't think tomorrow will pan out and I'd hate to have them go through the whole tank, crew walk again to scrub in the last 3 (that and I have plans at launch time).

Dave, I think you and I should get a vote at the MMT meetings.

Without a doubt.

I seriously doubt that tonight is going to happen; Winds are the issue. Specifically, excessive crosswinds at the SLF (shuttle landing facility) at KSC in case of a RTLS (return to launch site) Abort. What NASA wont publically ever say is that if there's ever an issue that arrises wherein an RTLS abort would be performed, the odds of the orbiter actually being intact enough to pull it off is slim to none.

Monday or Tuesday seems the best but this thing needs to go tonight. I have Ressies at Chef Mickey's tomorrow.

Remember, We're going to Mars! .... But It's to cloudy, Maaaaaaannnnnn

PhotoDave219

I was at EPCOT for the launch. I watched the launch from in front of Mission Space. (How appropriate) The view was great with no obstructions. At first you saw the glow come up from behind Mission Space and then you saw the flame trail. I took a few pictures they came out good. I will try and post them. http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?cat=3474&ppuser=0

Shame that wasnt a time exposure, with the streak arching overtop of M:S. That woulda been pretty cool.

sillyspook13

We (my family) were short on time so we stopped at the first place with a clear view of the east- Freedom High School (near-ish Sea World). We thought it was cancelled because the news station hadn't begun coverage yet. I was getting my camera and tripod out of the trunk when they said there were less than ten seconds. Forget the tripod.... I managed to snap a few decent pics of the launch.

My niece loves Little Einsteins and calls the show "Rocket". This was her first launch, so she was thrilled to see the "Real Rocket"!

P1050279.jpg

P1050280.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom