Disabled Guests

yekcoh_99

Can anyone tell me what the policy on disabled guests and their families are regarding lines? This will be our first trip with the grandparents & 2 young kids. Can the whole family use the handicap line, I mean it stinks for the other guests but what fun would Grandma & Grandpa have without my little angels on the rides with them.

Do we need to have the HC placard with us at all times?
Is it for all rides?
Any info would be appreciated, Thanks

Annielkd

It depends on their handicap. Each ride is differnt. I am unable to stand in line, and have documentation for that. When you go to guest services they will ask you what the nature of your disability is and what services you need to accomidate them. There are many, many people who rent a scooter in order to navigate around the park, I'm not sure what services they need. Most of the time the can ride their scooter right up to the ride. No guest asistance card is a "front of the line" card though. There are many rides that you actually wait longer... but, will be given the assistance needed. For example, for the ride in the globe, they have you wait in another area with seating. Then they take everyone who is waiting into the ride, this way they can stop it for someone (if needed) and all the disabled guests get on around the same time. If I waited in line, I probably could have gotten on the ride in 20 minutes... doing this needed me to wait 30. HOWEVER, I sat, out of the sun for that time. If you told me the handicap, maybe I could give more assistance.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It depends on your needs. Go to Guest Relations at any of the parks, identify what you can or can't do. Some people take a doctor's note, the one time I did that the CM at GR said she wasn't qualified to read it and just asked me what I couldn't do. They will provide you with a Guest Assistance Card [GAC] which identifies what your particular needs are without advertising them to the world. They will tell you which rides/attractions it will apply to and what to do when you get there.

Then you show the GAC to the Cast Member at the ride and they'll take care of you.

A lot of rides now are wheelchair and scooter accessible through the normal standby line.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

My parents in their 70's

My parents had scooters. The lines/queues have been made larger to accommodate the wheelchairs, etc...
We had to wait in line, but ask for the handicapped entrance to the ride, and they will direct you to it. I know POTC had us transfer to wheelchairs.
There really is no "front of the line" anymore for handicapped folks.:(
Jungle Cruise has scooter accessible boats. It depends on the ride. Always ask.:)
We did not use GAC. Maybe we should have.:shrug:

Upvote 0

Rob562

If the Guests are simply in a wheelchair/scooter, then there isn't really a need to get a GAC. At the attractions, the CM at the entrance will direct wheelchair/scooter Guests in how to enter the attraction.

The GAC is more for Guests who may need accommodating because of something that isn't as obvious as being in a wheelchair.

For example, my sister has problems with her knee, and sometimes wears a brace on it. She can walk and stand just fine, but she has difficulty with stairs. So she got a GAC with the "alternate entrance" stamp on it that allowed her to bypass the few places that had stairs: The last part of Splash's queue, Space Mountain, Dinosaur, Midway Mania are the only that spring to mind. She was also allowed to sit in the handicap seating area in the back row or two at Fantasmic and Indiana Jones.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Does anyone know what the different symboles on the front of the GAC pass stand for? Which access goes with which one. I know the one with the wheel chair lets you use the wheelchair line without a wheelchair. Last time we had arrows and got into everything using the fastpass line. Thanks:wave:

Upvote 0

Annielkd

The one you are talking about is the alternative enterance. That is for people (I believe) who do not have wheelchairs but can not remain standing in line. (either becuase they can't be around people, or because they can not stand) It does NOT allways allow a fast pass enterance. Some times the alternative is longer than a fast pass.

Upvote 0
Forgot to say... it's only for the disabled person and up to 4 guests. (5 total) So, if there are a lot of people, you will not be able to use it.

I can tell you from my trip experience, we are a party of 6, one of which is the child with special needs in a wheel chair, and each time we go ....... our GAC allows access to all 6 in the group. Sometimes it is a time saver, sometimes it isn't ..... but it wonderful to keep the whole group together and not have to stress and 'fight' with our extremely figitty daughter through the lines. Once you pick up the GAC on the first day, all you have to do is show that card the rest of the visit. (I found it very handy to put it in a Ziploc sandwich baggie to keep it dry)

Have a wonderful trip:D

Upvote 0
I can speak from experience.... My mom is very limited with her walking and rents an ECV at Disney. She would have problems standing for any length of time in lines. The CMs at Disney are super accomodating and never made her feel like she was a bother. We neither waited a long time or scooted to the front of lines, but were made to feel like everyone else. When using the buses, scooters and wheelchairs get on first. Most of the bus drivers were kind enough to navigate the ECV on to the bus for my Mom and get it off for her. There are tons of people who use these so WDW does everything in their power to make sure they enjoy the visit like everyone else.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

I use the GAP. I used it for the first time on my last trip. In the past the pain I experienced made the trip horrible for me. However, this time I was able to be in the park for 4 hours, and return at night for 4. It was a much nicer trip. (I'm also on immunine inhibitor so I shouldn't be in large crowds....so that was much better too.) The only think I have to say is I would hate people to get the pass so they could go to the front of the line. I would also hate if people got a pass because they needed to use a scooter. They make a LOT of accomidations for that. (which I agree with) but, if they can be in the park all day and just drive their scooter, they don't need to get on the rides faster. I can only stay in the park a limited amount of time, and I can't stand for more than 1/2 so I'm limited as to what I can do. This pass allows me to make use of the park almost the same way someone without limitations could. I will never be able to spend hours enjoying the park, this way I can at least go on a few popular rides. The person who posted this thread made it sound like she just wanted to get on faster. It should never be used for that.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

I can tell you from my trip experience, we are a party of 6, one of which is the child with special needs in a wheel chair, and each time we go ....... our GAC allows access to all 6 in the group. Sometimes it is a time saver, sometimes it isn't ..... but it wonderful to keep the whole group together and not have to stress and 'fight' with our extremely figitty daughter through the lines. Once you pick up the GAC on the first day, all you have to do is show that card the rest of the visit. (I found it very handy to put it in a Ziploc sandwich baggie to keep it dry)

Have a wonderful trip:D

Using the GAP allowed me to spend time with my family. I usually had to return to the hotel and couldn't be with them. Sometimes I would sit in the shade and wait for them while they went on a ride. Now we could all be together and it was much more romantic. (It was our 15 year anniversary)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom