Disability question

Jenna

Original Poster
Background: My younger sister who is 8 is just home from hospital after having a large operation to correct a problem from birth -she suffered from Bladder exstrophy and because of this has worn 'pull up pants' until now as her bladder could not hold urine instead it passed straight through at a slow yet constant rate. My sister now has a stoma in her stomach where she can empty her bladder via a catheter tube (the tube is only inserted once every three hours and drains the bladder within a minute) but my mum was talking to the nurse in the hospital yesterday and she said that my sister is infact suffering from a disability and that she would write her a letter so that she would not have to wait in line when we next visit the world. This is great as if my sister ever extends the time frame between the times when she empties her bladder it can burst which is obviously ridiculously dangerous.

My question is though will disney accept a letter as confirmation of her disability? Does having a disability allow you to get to the front of the queue? And does the family of the person with a disability get to ride with them?

I hope I don't sound like I'm attempting to use my sisters ailment as a benefit to our family holiday, it is with genuine concern for her but I would like to know the facts!

dove_

We've never done it (I have an autistic sister, but she's fine with lines), but I believe all you need is a letter. I imagine you bring it to the guest relations at the front, and they give you a pin or lanyard or something.

YES, the family skips with them, and you will get to go to the front. :)

I do not think you are taking advantage at all!

Jenna

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your help! I would happily wait in line as have done in previous years but on warm July days when you're drinking lots of water she'll probably need to empty more frequently! Again thank you! :wave:

landauh

Actually the only way to get a "head of the line" pass is for your sister to have an incurable illness and you have to contact Corporate to get the pass (Guest Relations does not have these passes).

You can get a pass that will allow you to enter any attraction via an "alternate entrance" if the attraction has one and you will skip most, but not all, of the standby line. You do not need a letter, you just go to Guest Relations (resorts have the passes also) and let them know your needs.

You will also be able to use the First Aid stations at the parks for privacy while attending to your sister.

Hope this helps.

Jenna

Original Poster
thanks and thats great of disney to let people use the first aid stations for discression however Im not sure we will need that as all she has to do is enter the tube into her stomach and drain it into a toilet, simply remove the tube and dispose of it! Great that disney provide such a service though! A seperate entrance would be grand as I think we would feel bad at some points about passing large queues...we just need a method which is slightly quicker than the normal process :D

landauh

If the attraction has a FP line, you would enter using that line. If it has a handicap entrance you will use that line. If the attraction has no alternate entrance the CM will make every attempt to accomodate you, but there might be a wait.

Also if you are staying in a resort and need any medical assistance Disney has a contract with a local medical facility and if it is an emergency they have on-site EMTs and a local (Celebration) hospital.

Philo

I'm pretty sure you will be able to get a GAC (guest assistance card) without any worries. A letter from a Nurse is almost certainly more than enough evidence that one is required but you might want to double check before you go by contact Disney.

As far as I'm aware, the card will give you alternative access to rides (not 100% but I think this is often the exit). A CM will be able to tell you the entrance you should use.

Jenna

Original Poster
Again guys thank you very much for all your answers! My mum is all chuffed that she'll be able to surprise our princess when we get there by not having to wait aslong for each ride

TinkerbellK

be aware that disney may not look at your letter. Legally they cannot require a letter, and some CMs are uncomfortable looking at one.

also, if you ask for the "skip the line" pass, you are likely to get a response of "there is no way to skip the lines." if you explain that due to a bladder condition, she cannot wait for more than x-minutes without going to a bathroom, that would probly be a little better...

i know you are not looking to skip lines for fun, but they have been cracking down on people trying to beat the system, and i just wanted to give you a heads up about how to ask for the card.

also, there are companion restrooms throughout the park which provide more privacy as it is a one person restroom...

Captain Hank

Keep in mind that there are a variety of types of Guest Assistance Cards, each with a different attraction proceedure based on what disability the guest has. I don't believe that a doctor's/nurse's note is required to get one, but it may help expedite the process and allow the Cast Member issuing it to make an informed decision. Final discretion as far as what type of Guest Assistance Card is issued rests with Guest Relations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom