DirectTV with no ABC family...

disneydudette

Original Poster
Today while watching ABC family...

A ticker came on....

It stated that Direct TV will no longer carry ABC family...if a new agreement in not reached by 3/31/03...The channel will no longer be available on Direct TV if the agreemnet is not reached...

does anyone know if this is just the satelite company...or will the channel be done with all together???

:veryconfu

pheneix

This should explain it all:

-------------------------------

DirecTV says may drop ABC Family over price rise
Reuters, 03.07.03, 6:35 PM ET

LOS ANGELES, March 7 (Reuters) - No. 1 satellite television company DirecTV may drop the ABC Family Channel at the end of the month instead of paying the 35 percent price increase The Walt Disney Co (nyse: DIS - news - people) is demanding, the company said on Friday.

ABC Family would lose about 13 percent of its audience, or 11.3 million of 85 million homes, if DirecTV pulled the channel from its basic package that is available on its U.S. network.

An ABC Cable Network spokesman said talks would continue.

"We are surprised and disappointed that DirecTV has chosen to threaten their viewers with the loss of ABC Family at this early stage of our negotiations with them," the spokesman said.

DirecTV spokesman Bob Marsocci said there had already been several months of talks.

"Taking down a channel is always a last resort," he said.

But, he added: "A 35-percent rate increase is unreasonable. There has not been a dramatic change in programming on ABC that justifies such a price increase."

DirecTV, which is owned by Hughes Electronics Corp. (nyse: GMH - news - people) the satellite subsidiary of General Motors Corp. (nyse: GMH - news - people), on Thursday began running a banner on ABC Family advising viewers that the channel might be dropped on March 31.

The two companies last announced a renewal of their contract in May 2002.

ABC Family last year ran into trouble with DirecTV competitor EchoStar Communications Corp. (nasdaq: DISH - news - people), which Disney sued after it tried to drop ABC Family from its DISH network. The two reached an agreement with undisclosed terms, although DISH kept ABC Family.

EchoStar also tried to buy DirecTV, but abandoned the bid after regulators raised anti-trust concerns.

Disney bought ABC Family for $5.2 billion, including assumed debt, in 2001, and the channel currently is available in nearly every U.S. home with cable or satellite television.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

--------------------------------

Direct TV has significantly more clout than Dish Network* (but Dish Network has far better service at a lower price. Believe me, I LOVE my Dish Network!), so it is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. If Direct TV goes through with this, it will likely do ABC Family in as every other major satellite and cable provider will feel that they have a chance to drop the channel.

wishiwere@wdw

Although I personally don't watch it very much, I'll just say I've been following this story for some time now. ABC is basically being greedy. They are using ESPN and other incentives to keep ABC family on the air because it is doing so poorly. So, if they were to drop ABC family, Disney will either sue them or increase their already ridiculous prices for ESPN/ESPN2/NEWS/CLASSIC on DirecTV. These kind of price wars aren't unusual but I actually like the fact the DTV and Echostar are both holding thier position on this one because 35% is a bit steep and it will eventually be passed onto the consumer.

tigsmom

There was a problem with Cablevision the other year that ran along the same line...my kids watch ABC family all the time.(though I'm getting tired of seeing the same old shows over and over.) The are really upset. We went to DirectTV because of Cablvision greediness(No NY Yankee games). I would hate for the kids to lose one of their favorite stations. It has been my experience that they usually work things out near the deadline. We will just have to wait and see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom