Direct non-road Orlando transport into WDW

darrelljon

Original Poster
Apart from roads for motor vehicles and a former airport runway, do you think WDW transportation will ever link in with transport outside WDW? I'm thinking in particular about a train line either heavy rail or light rail (latter would be great), but I suppose a cycle lane too or even paddling up Bonnet creek by boat (dodging the gators) I suppose. I know the Florida High Speed Rail Corridor was cancelled in 2011 and the SR 417 route would have connected to Disney presumably TTC?

drwadadli

I would love to see a light rail that would connect MCO to WDW (and for that matter connect MCO to USO). It would replace Disney Magical Express and therefore be less vehicles on the roadway. It would have a central hub somewhere on WDW property where the trains would arrive and then you could get transportation from there to your individual resorts. You would have to wait for DME at the airports. This would be similar to the train system that runs from Heathrow to Paddington Station in London. Trains run every 15 - 20 minutes and are direct non-stop the WDW train hub. But this is all a pipe dream because I can never see it happening.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In short, no.

It has been proposed, even approved at one point I think, but since too many people get to make the decisions and everyone wants a taste, it never gets done.

The only way light rail could ever happen is if Disney purchased all of the right of way needed and paid for it themselves. I don't see a point where that would ever be economically viable. Quite honestly, private helicopters world probably be less expensive.

As to bike lanes and waterways, you have the same issues with the added complication that so few people would use them.

lazyboy97o

Disney, in contrast to most other projects, did agree to a high speed station down near US 192. Yesterland has an article with a rendering of the station design.
http://www.yesterland.com/highspeed.html

I’m still convinced that Disney only agreed to play along with this one project because they realized it was a boondoggle and they could benefit from playing nice while it was alive. For all other mass transit projects, Disney will only allow a station if there are no others near other tourist destinations.

Lake Buena Vista Village at one time was also planned to have a multi-modal station that would have connected the Walt Disney World Monorail, the local WEDway People Mover and area bus service.

UCF

Disney, in contrast to most other projects, did agree to a high speed station down near US 192. Yesterland has an article with a rendering of the station design.
http://www.yesterland.com/highspeed.html

I’m still convinced that Disney only agreed to play along with this one project because they realized it was a boondoggle and they could benefit from playing nice while it was alive. For all other mass transit projects, Disney will only allow a station if there are no others near other tourist destinations.

Lake Buena Vista Village at one time was also planned to have a multi-modal station that would have connected the Walt Disney World Monorail, the local WEDway People Mover and area bus service.
I posted about this in the rumors/news section before I saw this thread, but just yesterday Florida Governor Rick Scott is claiming this project is back alive as a privately funded route, as an extension of the Orlando-Miami Brightline service: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/high-speed-rail-from-mco-to-disney-world.944524/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom