Dining Plan?

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
I searched a little and didn't see like a pinned mega thread or anything so I apologize in advance if this comes off as redundant. I'm just wondering from the pros here if I should purchase the dining plan for my upcoming trip?

Traveling solo Jan 12-21st but splitting the stay so I'd likely only utilize the DDP for my 5 night stretch at SSR should it work out and I buy it. I've been wanting to try a few table service and a couple signature restaurants I hadn't tried before this trip an with steaks or entrees at a cost of $50+ I wonder if the plan could be worth it?

I couldn't find a definitive guide to which locations cost 1 vs 2 TS credits. So I'm not sure the overall benefits to the program aside from peace of mind via prepaying and at $95 a day well, I can spend more than that on a single meal. What do you all think should I get the DDP? I'm also not opposed to lounges and I understand some of these are included now in the plan?

I want to hit up:
Le Celier
Steakhouse 71
Space 220
Homecoming
Jaleo
Ale & Compass
Polite Pig

Just to name a few... My last trip was during food and wine and I didn't eat at many of the places people rave about so this time will be food focused.

thanks!

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
LC 2 credits
71 1 credit
Space 2 credits if on plan
HC 1 credit
Jaleo 2 credits if on plan
A&C 1 credit
PP quick service credit
Thank you! I think I also just found a site that outlined some of the signature 2 TS places as well.

Do you think it is worth it for a solo traveler? I have 2 reservations for 2 nights stays and one for 5 so I was going to apply it to the 5 night stay if possible. I could do 2 signatures and 1 TS that way and I think be pretty happy.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'd look at the menus and try and figure what you'd spend out of pocket. We've never done it as it never would have worked out for us but I know some who swear it always works for them. We've found the best deal is to buy discounted gift cards. It's different for every family/person/group so maths is your friend;)

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
I'd look at the menus and try and figure what you'd spend out of pocket. We've never done it as it never would have worked out for us but I know some who swear it always works for them. We've found the best deal is to buy discounted gift cards. It's different for every family/person/group so maths is your friend;)
I've got a working spread sheet for each day and estimated totals. I definitely want to eat at 3-4 TS/Signature places and those can definitely come out to more than the DDP's $94. My brain is just mush from running scenarios and planning and all that and yet I'm still not sure about the DDP.

DisAl

I've got a working spread sheet for each day and estimated totals. I definitely want to eat at 3-4 TS/Signature places and those can definitely come out to more than the DDP's $94. My brain is just mush from running scenarios and planning and all that and yet I'm still not sure about the DDP.
Don't forget though that all the signature places take TWO dining credits. That probably means that meal will "cost" you over $150.

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
Don't forget though that all the signature places take TWO dining credits. That probably means that meal will "cost" you over $150.
I just found a site that did the math for me since I'm terrible at it and they say 1 TS credit is worth between $63 and $68 so let's say $65. So, that works out decently for 1 TS credit places but not so well for Signature. Plus I just learned it includes a dessert but not appetizer and that is a no-go for me since I do not like desserts.

Ok, I think I've solved the problem and will go OOP for my meals. I just remember in 2011 when I used to the DDP it seemed to be worth it and/or money saving but I guess that is not the case any longer.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I just found a site that did the math for me since I'm terrible at it and they say 1 TS credit is worth between $63 and $68 so let's say $65. So, that works out decently for 1 TS credit places but not so well for Signature. Plus I just learned it includes a dessert but not appetizer and that is a no-go for me since I do not like desserts.

Ok, I think I've solved the problem and will go OOP for my meals. I just remember in 2011 when I used to the DDP it seemed to be worth it and/or money saving but I guess that is not the case any longer.
Look into getting discounted Disney gift cards for all the places that take them,

JIMINYCR

Weve had trips where it worked in our favor and others where OOP worked best. When weve saved it hasnt been a great amount of money but a savings of some amount that made it worth doing. We always research very well and find out in advance the costs of what meals are that we will be ordering to decide OOP vs DDP. Depending on how and what restaurants and meals you do the results can vary family to family. Overall its a profit maker for Dis be cause they know most guests wont be putting much effort into getting the costs in line to decide whats best for them.

Weather_Lady

FWIW, the dining plan will very rarely save money at the current (2024) prices, unless you stick to only the highest-value 1-credit TS meals, always order the most expensive entrees, and don't plan on ordering anything the DDP won't cover. It really works best for families with multiple kids aged 9 and under, who plan to do lots of expensive character meals, drink lots of alcohol and eat lots of snacks and desserts: in fact, Disney has stopped advertising it as a way to save money at all, except on kids' meals! For my family of 2 adults and 2 teens, who prefers to eat wherever we want, order whatever we want, and have twice as many table service meals as counter service (including dinner shows and signature dining), we save 30-40% by paying out of pocket rather than buying the dining plan, since it wouldn't cover half of what we really want to eat, and would "give" us a lot of entitlements we'd waste.

As for how to pay for your meals, do look into discount Disney gift cards! I buy them at BJ's Wholesale Club where they're sold year-round for 4% off, and when possible, I make those purchases with my Discover Card during the one quarter every year when the "5% cash back" offers include wholesale clubs. That brings my total discount on the gift cards closer to 9%.

If you have a Disney VISA card, some restaurants on property will give you a 10% discount (the Disney VISA website should have the current list -- https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/walt-disney-world-perks/). Also, if you're a Landry's Select rewards member, you can claim priority seating privileges, and apply rewards dollars to your meals, at Landry's owned restaurants (Yak & Yeti and Rainforest Cafe at AK, and the other Rainforest Cafe and T-REX at Disney Springs).

Last edited:

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
FWIW, the dining plan will very rarely save money at the current prices (unless you stick to only the highest-value 1-credit TS meals, always order the most expensive entrees, and don't plan on ordering anything the DDP won't cover). It really works best for families with multiple kids aged 9 and under, who plan to do lots of expensive character meals: in fact, Disney has stopped advertising it as a way to save money at all, except on kids' meals! For my family of 2 adults and 2 teens, who prefers to eat wherever we want, order whatever we want, and have twice as many table service meals as counter service (including dinner shows and signature dining), we save 30-40% by paying out of pocket rather than buying the dining plan, since it wouldn't cover half of what we really want to eat, and would "give" us a lot of entitlements we'd waste.

As for how to pay for your meals, do look into discount Disney gift cards! I buy them at BJ's Wholesale Club where they're sold year-round for 4% off, and when possible, I make those purchases with my Discover Card during the one quarter every year when the "5% cash back" offers include wholesale clubs. That brings my total discount on the gift cards closer to 9%.

If you have a Disney VISA card, some restaurants on property will give you a 10% discount (the Disney VISA website should have the current list -- https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/walt-disney-world-perks/). Also, if you're a Landry's Select rewards member, you can claim priority seating privileges, and apply rewards dollars to your meals, at Landry's owned restaurants (Yak & Yeti and Rainforest Cafe at AK, and the other Rainforest Cafe and T-REX at Disney Springs).
Now that sounds fantastic! I already have the Target card. Thanks for the info!

Marionnette

Now that sounds fantastic! I already have the Target card. Thanks for the info!
And if you're a Target Circle member (free to join), you may get random offers for $X in Circle Rewards for making # purchases of $$$ during a set spending period. I just got one for $30 Circle Rewards for making 3 • $100 purchases. I'll buy 3 $100 Disney GCs in separate orders, pay a total of $285 using my Target card and I'll get the $30 Circle Rewards in my account quickly. You can't use the Circle Rewards to buy additional GCs but who doesn't find something that they need at Target at some point? I'm saving mine for Christmas gifts.

Worldlover71

Something a lot of folks forget about the dining plan is that, for most locations, the tip is not included. Thinking that their meals are covered, some folks might not have figured this into their budget. Tips can adds up very quickly if you tip between 15-20% of the value of the meal (which you should!) This is especially true if you are using the plan well and are going to restaurants that you normally wouldn't go to because they are too expensive and are ordering expensive items.

Colonel Angus

Original Poster
Something a lot of folks forget about the dining plan is that, for most locations, the tip is not included. Thinking that their meals are covered, some folks might not have figured this into their budget. Tips can adds up very quickly if you tip between 15-20% of the value of the meal (which you should!) This is especially true if you are using the plan well and are going to restaurants that you normally wouldn't go to because they are too expensive and are ordering expensive items.
Good point. I always try to factor that in but sometimes forget that it could be $30+ depending on the meal.

Jon81uk

It was pre-2010 when the DDP was three courses. It stopped being great value around then when tips stopped being included on the plan too. It remained OK value until about 4-5 years ago, I think the addition of alcoholic drinks pushed the price up way high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom