Deluxe Resort Room or Studio

Missin_Disney

Guys, we need some advice. We are a family of 4, Me, my wife, DD 6 and DS 4 at time of travelling.

We are planning our next trip for 2012 (a while i know but hey its part of the fun)

We usually stay off property in a 4 bed villa as we can get the kids to bed and then have some quiet time around the pool with a few drinks.

But in 2012 we have decided to stay on property for 2 weeks at either a deluxe resort (standard room) or a 1 bed apartment in either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.

We like the idea of a deluxe for location, amenities, location and transport but are worried about the size of the room for a family of 4 and what we will do once the kids goto bed as we'll be confined to the room. Are the balconies big enough to sit on?

The apartment will offer more room and a room for the kids to we can have some quiet time in the evening. The down side is location and transport (buses)

All advice is very welcome. Ta.

zurgandfriend

That is a tough one, first, if you choose a deluxe resort make sure you get a balcony to begin with. Some of the rooms at the Polynesian and the garden wing of the Contemporary don't have balconies.

The monorail resort rooms are big, 400+ square feet, but you are all in the one room so watching TV, talking etc is limited when the kids go to bed. Also, the monorail resorts sleep 5 and have 2 queen size beds and a daybed that is perfect for a child if someone needs a bed to themselves. Usually DW and I turn in the same time as our DS so "alone" time is not that important to us. If it is to you I say go with the villa. Maybe the best of both worlds would be a week a deluxe and a week in a villa?

Whatever you choose have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
Thanks for that, we did stay at the WL before we had the children and had a balcony there, but it was tiny, just enough room for 2 chairs!!

I have read that some of the rooms at the Beach Club have 'full balconies'

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We haven't stayed at any of the Epcot resorts yet it's my experience with resort balconies that they are about the size of those at the Wilderness Lodge.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Thanks for that, we did stay at the WL before we had the children and had a balcony there, but it was tiny, just enough room for 2 chairs!!

Those WL balconies were full balconies. Most have 2 chairs and a small table.

The Yacht Club has the full balconies too - the Beach Club has some balconies that won't fit the 2 chairs - you need to stand.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Well, I would recommend the 1 bedroom villa. You have plenty of room and a separate master bedroom with a pull out be in the living room. I have attached a room layout for SSR and OKW. The first pic is for OKW and the second is SSR. OKW does have larger rooms and both resorts have a balcony located off of the living room. A few other bonuses in a Villa are a washer and dryer, full kitchen and whirlpool tub.

A deluxe resort room will have 2 queen beds, but in the same room. You do also have a balcony.

OKW_O000.JPG
SSR_O000.JPG

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
I must admit the 1 bed villas do make more sense, how is the transport to the rest of the world?

Have heard good and bad re the bus service from there resorts and also the size of the resorts themselves

Also have been reading a few reviews saying that some of the units are not clean or in disrepair.......this is kind of off putting!!

Upvote 0

harryk

Maybe consider a 2 bedroom villa. Lots of space. Have utilized these on 2 visits and it has proven very, very good. Balconies .. well they are the same.

These were at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge. Possibly they have ground floor units which provide more space outside since you don't need a balcony at that level.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

I must admit the 1 bed villas do make more sense, how is the transport to the rest of the world?

Have heard good and bad re the bus service from there resorts and also the size of the resorts themselves

Also have been reading a few reviews saying that some of the units are not clean or in disrepair.......this is kind of off putting!!

Transportation for SSR is great, with the added bonus of being able to get to and from other resorts through DTD which is a short walk to get there. This is a great option when dining at other resorts. OKW transport is ok, but it does not seem to be as good as SSR.

Epcot is right out the back door for both resorts and is a quick ride MK and AK are a little bit of a ride, but the busses come through often.

Another thing as the OP said is a 2 bedroom will be even better and give you the privacy that you may be looking for.

Upvote 0

Yanks07

We stayed @ Beach club Villas last year and my wife and I stayed in a Studio in what I would call an outside corner room. We had a huge balcony overlooking the quiet pool. We usually stay in a 2bedroom and this had a larger balcony, sorry, can't remember the room # but I would think you could request it if you look at the resort layout.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom