Delta choosing seats

HarperRose

Original Poster
I am trying to book a Delta flight, but am unable to choose seats when I book. I am booking Economy, not basic, so I should be able to choose a seat when booking. Am I doing something wrong?

I click on the Seats map, the map of the plane comes up with seats, showing what is available and what isn't. I can't choose a seat, though. Clicking on an open seat doesn't do anything.

WDWFan2018

I am trying to book a Delta flight, but am unable to choose seats when I book. I am booking Economy, not basic, so I should be able to choose a seat when booking. Am I doing something wrong?

I click on the Seats map, the map of the plane comes up with seats, showing what is available and what isn't. I can't choose a seat, though. Clicking on an open seat doesn't do anything.

I thought you had to pay extra to be able to choose seats on Delta? Did you select when you purchased your tickets that you wanted to select seats in advance?

DisneyFreak

I thought you had to pay extra to be able to choose seats on Delta? Did you select when you purchased your tickets that you wanted to select seats in advance?

Flying Delta to Chicago in November and was able to choose seats. I know Southwest doesn't allow you to choose seats.

Weather_Lady

It sounds like a technical issue with the website. I'd call and speak with a Delta representative (UNLESS... you're clicking on "Seats" while you're looking at flight options, and before actually starting the booking process -- if you haven't selected flights and started entering passenger information and payment information, etc., the option to actually select the seats you're seeing won't be there yet...)

HarperRose

Original Poster
It sounds like a technical issue with the website. I'd call and speak with a Delta representative (UNLESS... you're clicking on "Seats" while you're looking at flight options, and before actually starting the booking process -- if you haven't selected flights and started entering passenger information and payment information, etc., the option to actually select the seats you're seeing won't be there yet...)
Yep, that is the problem. Geez, I feel stupid. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Weather_Lady

Appropos of nothing (since the OP isn't flying Basic Economy), a word about "Basic Economy" seating: if you use the Fly Delta app (which checks you in 24 hours ahead -- you just click a few buttons to confirm), you may find that you can click "seating" and change your assigned-at-checkin seat to another (albeit one in Basic Economy, meaning you're primarily looking at middle seats in the front half of the Main Cabin, or seats in the rear of the plane).

My family of four flew Delta twice this week and thanks to being able to switch our seats around after check-in (I had to check back a few times: the inventory fluctuated as others changed their seats around), I managed to get my kids seated together on the outbound flight. After we got to the airport, DH and I asked the gate agent about finding seats closer to our kids -- Delta does have a published policy that they'll try to seat families together when possible and the seats we'd been assigned were 8 and 10 rows ahead of the children -- and ended up scoring the Exit Row seats across the aisle from our kids. On the return flight, I was able to get all four of us seated in the same row just by using the app. So FWIW, although nothing is guaranteed, using the Fly Delta app may give you a teensy bit of choice as to seating, and can take a little bit of the stress out of flying Basic Economy. (I should add that in our case, overhead bin space was not an issue, so we didn't care that we boarded last since we were traveling with nothing but 20" rolling backpacks that fit under the seats in front of us. That being said, both flights were full and they didn't run out of overhead space on either one... obviously YMMV.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom