December Crowds - Which week to go...

Jordan's Mom

I am working on planning a trip for my son and I to WDW in December (I have never seen Christmas there, so I'm really excited! Plus we haven't been there in over a year, so we're WAY past due!!).

I was wondering if the first or second week of Dec. would be less crowded... my thinking was that the first week would still have Thanksgiving holiday spillover, so that maybe we should go around the 7th.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!!

:wave:

homer424

December is BEAUTIFUL in WDW! You will have a fabulous time that time of year! From experience in the two times I went in December-1996 and 2000-the second week seems to be less crowded than the first. But they both are pretty much lower than average attendance! Have a GREAT time!

Donna

Upvote 0

Worldphile

For the past two years, we have gone the week right before the Christmas rush starts. So, we plan our stay to end on the last day before the room proces shoot up for Christmas. So, for this year, that looks like Dec. 15th - Dec. 20th.

We love going at that time. WDW is decked out in all it's Christmas glory, but hte crowds are very manageable.

The weather can be changeable though. One year we went, it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit that week for a daytime high. Usually though, I think it is in the 60s or 70s during the day. In any event, it is usually not warm enough to swim so we don't buy the park hoppers that include the water parks.

Upvote 0

conntom

I am going on Dec 8 to 14 this is the best week to go.
The crowds are not as bad and the Prices are better to.
Christmas is the best time to go and the weather is ok
sometimes it is cool but not to bad.
At MGM there are 5 million Christmas light on the back lot you
will not believe your eyes. I took Pictures at night and no flash.
:wave:

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

The key to early December is finding out when the Pop Warner Super Bowl is. We've visited both when it was going on and when it wasn't. If you can avoid that week, its A LOT less crowded. This year its on for the second week, that's why we're visiting the first week.
But if you're used to summer crowds either week would be great. We're just used to the really small crowds in Dec and Jan.

Either way you'll love Christmas in Disney!! Its normal Disney Magic x 1000!!!!

Have fun

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We always go the first week of Dec. and have no crowds at that time. Please don't forget that Kingdom Konsultants books rooms/packages at WDW.

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

My family and I went in December once and it was a magical time. I can't remember if it was the first or second week of the month but it was probably average attendence. It was nowhere near the summer crowds but then again it was much more crowded than September, for example. We had to endure several 30-40 minute waits.

Going in the Christmas time is well worth it, though. The decorations, VMCP, and fake snow all make for a spectacular time. It's exciting to visit each resort and see the various themed Christmas decorations each has up. We stayed at the Polynesian that time and the decorations were great.

Upvote 0

Jordan's Mom

Original Poster
THANKS!

Thanks to everyone for your input, and ESPECIALLY the tip about Pop Warner!! I checked it out on the Internet, and it turns out that the Super Bowl is booked for the entire week I had tentatively selected... and that 12,000 kids, parents and staff attend this thing!!

I couldn't get PO (either one!) for the discounted rate for the first week of December, so I booked AS Music.

I can't wait! This will be our first "full week" trip - we normally go for 3 - 4 days, and this time we'll be there 8 days/7 nights!! And I can't wait to see the snow!!

Darcy :sohappy:

Upvote 0

mickeyfanatics

The best time to go around the Christmas holiday is after Thanksgiving, but before Christmas. We actually drive over a few days before Christmas to see the parade at MK.

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Glad I could help. We learned about the pop warner thing the hard way, so I try to help anyone out so they don't have to.

You'll have a great time.

If you're even a small Christmas music fan, try to catch the tree lighting ceremony at Epcot. Its usually around dusk, Cast in Bronze is playing again this year and they play the most beautiful version of Carol of the Bells I've ever heard. They play a few more 'carols', then in typical Disney fashion, they light the Lights of Winter and the huge Christmas. Its the most magical thing ever!

Upvote 0

Jodigrl328

I can only comment on the time that I was there which was a week and half before christmas. The crowds were so low the most we waited in line was 15 minutes. It was great. and very festive. I would definetly go back at that time!!!

Upvote 0

orangefan15

Okay, so can someone please post what the actual dates of the pop warner superbowl? When you say second week, that can mean different things to different people. Thanks.

Upvote 0

wishiwere@wdw

Originally posted by FanofDinsey1981
if you want less people....do NOT go the week after christmas till new years. whew, them are some crazylike crowds!

but enjoy, whenever you go. :)

You have me a bit scared now:eek: We are going from the 26-31 of December because my wife is a teacher and cannot take off during the school year. Any chance it may be a "tad" less this year because of the lighter tourism market? This is our first time @ Christmas so I think I'll be so amazed by everything there is to look at that I won't care anyway.:)

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by wishiwere@wdw

You have me a bit scared now:eek: We are going from the 26-31 of December because my wife is a teacher and cannot take off during the school year. Any chance it may be a "tad" less this year because of the lighter tourism market? This is our first time @ Christmas so I think I'll be so amazed by everything there is to look at that I won't care anyway.:)

haha, sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I absolutly loved it at this time, and as long as you don't mind a crowd. I don't think that it was OVER crowded, but it was like the crowds during the summer. enjoy! it is beautiful that time of year!

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Originally posted by wishiwere@wdw
You have me a bit scared now:eek: We are going from the 26-31 of December because my wife is a teacher and cannot take off during the school year.

Ha ha! That reminds me. My wife is a children's counselor and once she decided that she might want to be a guidance counselor at a school. I asked her if it would limit her vacaction opportunities like it does a teacher, and she said yes. I immediately veto'd that! She asked why, and I said

"I'm not going to WDW any time school is out!!!"

I explained about the crowds and she agreed with me (we're Disney people who both hate crowds). I would never work in a school for that reason alone.

BUT, it is well worth it to go and see all of the Christmas decorations. You will have a wonderful time! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

wishiwere@wdw

Wow....Talk about dedication. I don’t think that would stop my wife. Of course, she isn't as much of a Disney nut as myself but she certainly helps us afford to go each year :) Therefore, I can't complain too much.

We did go in January of 99' (before her teaching job) and I must say it was unbelievable how empty the place was. On the downside, there seemed to be a lot less show times, parades, and atmosphere entertainment.

I'll be sure to let everybody know how "bad" it really was when we return. Until then, on 3 1/2 months to go!

Thanks for your comments. I'm still hoping we don't regret this. Even still, I could sit on a bench at Epcot all day and still be happy. Going on rides isn't everything, right?

Upvote 0

RJlvsTigger

I checked it out and the Pop Warner Super Bowl is scheduled for Dec. 8 - 14. Unfortunately, that is the week I booked so I'm looking into changing my reservations for either the week before or the week after. Thanks for the tip.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom