[DCA] WDI Testing New Interactive Experience

sponono88

Original Poster
MousePlanet.com is reporting that WDI will be at DCA this week to test a new interactive experience at the park (similar to the Kim Possible adventure in EPCOT.)

If you're in DCA this week and run across some people running around with props and costumes, I may know what they're doing. WDI is apparently testing a new interactive experience at DCA this week: it was described to me as a Kim Possible-type scavenger hunt, but themed to the California Gold Rush. You might spot them on the West side of the park. I have no idea what the final iteration of this test might be (or if they'll even develop it into anything).

AVP [MousePlanet.com]

Sounds promising, i'm looking forward to hearing more about this. :) DCA definitely needs something with a Gold Rush theme.

Testtrack321

Interested in the theme of this and how it's going to play out. I did hear something about a KP like experience at others parks, guess this is it. Now, I wonder if this'll expand the technology (better devices, cooler effects) or just be a "best of KP" only with California kinda stuff.

spock

DCA definitely needs something with a Gold Rush theme.

:sohappy: I couldn't agree more with this statement!! I could never figure why DCA is supposedly based on the history and culture of California, yet nothing about the Gold Rush?? :veryconfu That never made any sense to me, yet they'll devote the largest section of the park to carnival rides that are in no way unique to, or representative of, California.

sponono88

Original Poster
Interested in the theme of this and how it's going to play out. I did hear something about a KP like experience at others parks, guess this is it. Now, I wonder if this'll expand the technology (better devices, cooler effects) or just be a "best of KP" only with California kinda stuff.

There was a rumor a while back about a Perry the Platypus-themed experience for DCA. I definitely prefer this new Gold Rush concept.

:sohappy: I couldn't agree more with this statement!! I could never figure why DCA is supposedly based on the history and culture of California, yet nothing about the Gold Rush?? :veryconfu That never made any sense to me, yet they'll devote the largest section of the park to carnival rides that are in no way unique to, or representative of, California.

Yeah it definitely seems like a no-brainer, it would make for a great ride (PoTC style).

As for your comments about the Pier - the new theme for the land is a tribute to the classic seaside boardwalks (like Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Venice Beach). And the only real "carnival" rides in PP are either being re-themed or dismantled, like the Maliboomer for example.

TP2000

That never made any sense to me, yet they'll devote the largest section of the park to carnival rides that are in no way unique to, or representative of, California.

It was cheap. Pure and simple. :cool:

But that was then, and this is now, and Paradise Pier by Summer, 2011 won't be nearly as cheap or vague.

I agree however that they need to add more things about the Gold Rush. I still think there's some bizarre gentleman's agreement between Walt Disney and Walter Knott that they won't offer pan-for-gold in Anaheim and instead leave that experience to Knott's Berry Farm up the freeway. Seriously, I can't figure out why Disneyland hasn't added this to either Frontierland or the Golden State District of DCA. :confused:

spock

As for your comments about the Pier - the new theme for the land is a tribute to the classic seaside boardwalks (like Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Venice Beach). And the only real "carnival" rides in PP are either being re-themed or dismantled, like the Maliboomer for example.

I get that, but I've always considered that to be a very weak theme. It's funny, because I started to reply to this by saying that it's always been my impression that Imagineering starts with the story, then they build from there. I got distracted and started to read about the new Star Tours on the Disney blog and laughed when I read the opening line from Tom Fitzgerald's article. It reads as follows: "Since everything we do at Imagineering starts with the story, ..." Reading that kind of confirmed for me that that's how Imagineering USUALLY does it. But for me, Paradise Pier always seemed like a case where they first decided to put in a bunch of carnival rides, and THEN they came up with what the backstory (or theme) was supposed to be. It just doesn't add up for me that a bunch of Imagineers were sitting around trying to come up with things that represented California, and they all agreed that the biggest part of the park should be devoted to seaside amusement parks. Those existed, yes, but there are far more other things that better represent California. I tend to believe that was a decision that was probably made by some out of touch executives who then gave it to the Imagineers and said, "We don't care how you fit this into the park, just find a way to make it make sense." Just my opinion. :wave:

sponono88

Original Poster
It just doesn't add up for me that a bunch of Imagineers were sitting around trying to come up with things that represented California, and they all agreed that the biggest part of the park should be devoted to seaside amusement parks.

Actually, that's exactly what they did. Imagineer Tim Delaney was the guy in charge of overseeing the Paradise Pier project and I know he put a lot of love into the design. Perhaps most people don't realize it but there are many details and authentic touches that come directly from old seaside boardwalks (everything from the arches in Ariel's Grotto to the sun sparkle designs in the lampposts.) WDI had long wanted to do a land dedicated to a classic seaside amusement park - the concept was planned for the Long Beach Disney Sea concept, and I believe it was also planned for Disney's America theme park.

Also, i'm not sure what your definition of carnival ride is.. but most "carnivals" around here don't carry rides like Mickey's Fun Wheel (one of only two full-size replicas in the world of the Coney Island original.) The Golden Zephyr was custom-built for the park and it is currently the only one of its kind in North America. During the early 20th century there were more than 500, now there's just one.. and it's in DCA. California Screamin' has 300% redundancy in its design, all to mimic the look of a wooden coaster.

I've always loved the look and feel of Paradise Pier and it's only getting better with all the new additions coming in. Certainly one of the prettiest areas of the park at night in my opinion.

4943422944_756bea67d3_z.jpg

- photo by WDWFigment

spock

WDI had long wanted to do a land dedicated to a classic seaside amusement park - the concept was planned for the Long Beach Disney Sea concept, and I believe it was also planned for Disney's America theme park.

That's basically in line with what I was saying (except that it sounds like it DID come from the Imagineers as opposed to from some higher up execs, which kind of disappoints me in the Imagineers). But as I mentioned, PP to me feels like it was sort of "forced" into the theme. Based on what you're saying, that confirms it. It sounds like they were determined to do a seaside amusement park and then basically just found a way to work it into the theme of DCA. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the rides there. But by the same token, I also enjoy the rides at Six Flags and Knott's Berry Farm. PP to me just doesn't have a Disney feel to it. I never feel like I'm in a Disney park when I'm in that section. I feel like I'm at any other amusement park. I do agree it's pretty at night though. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom