day 6/July 4th at WDW/MISSION SPACE!

Our 6th day of our anniversary trip to WDW just happened to be on July 4 and this was a day which required an early start. Our travel agent suggested, and wisely so for economic reasons, that we book a 6-night package with the length of stay pass and then book an extra night which made it a total of 7 nights in two different packages. This is a great way to save on the price of the park ticket because you seldom get a chance to utilize the park pass on your day of departure particularly if you are flying out as was the case with us. But this arrangement required that we check out as scheduled on the 6th day and then check back in. So on the suggestion of the front desk we were at the check in line at 7:30am to get this done which proved to be something that went quite smoothly and they rewarded us with passes good for either a trip over to Wide World of Sports or a round of mini-golf. We decided to utilize the opportunity to play some mini golf. So after a shower and some breakfast we got a pretty early start and headed over to Fantasia Gardens. We had shot a partial round earlier in the week, abbreviating it in order to meet a PS dinner timetable. During that round we had played the conventional mini-course. This time we opted to attempt the more challenging fairways course which is tough, very tough, but a heckuva lot of fun. Judy and I seldom play miniature golf and neither of us play actual golf at all, although she has taken some lessons. I've always said that in my profession as an insurance agent I've had plenty of opportunity to stay humble and didn't need golf to add to my overall humility. But I have always enjoyed miniature golf and today was no exception and as you might expect from something at WDW an experience which really stands out for a number of reasons. He we were early on the 4th of July playing mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens and there was something special being out there at that hour. A lot of other people had a similar idea and I got the feeling more than once that we were holding up some of the more skilled or advanced players behind us. As it was we all had a great time and when done decided to head over to the Wilderness Lodge for lunch. None of us were aware that
WDW was on a "hard close" for the holiday at the guard at the security check point told us. We didn't have a reservation and thus had to go park the van at the TTC and take a bus to WL. It was nothing that particularly upset us, we were just caught off guard and didn't know that the "hard close" was in effect. You could not enter a property other than the property where you were staying other than via Disney transportation. As it turned out it all worked out quite well. We had a great lunch at the Whispering Canyon and it was a wonderful experience on so many levels. The staff was particularly friendly and seemed genuinely glad to see us and the other diners. We were surprised to discover that there is a "floor show" at Whispering Canyon, or at least there was on this day. The first thing was getting volunteers from among the diners to do "animal sounds". Judy eagerly volunteered first and did a baby tiger. I'm not sure that everyone is familiar with how a baby tiger sounds but I can tell you that she has it down pretty well. We've seen some baby tigers on visits to the zoo in Cincinnati and they make a unique sound and Judy's turn at the mike apparently inspired some other folks and she and the other participants were awarded with a certificate signed by staff members noting that she had participated in and completed something which was "certifiably magical" which it was. The staff seemed to be on a mission to make sure that everyone there had as much fun as they were having and I think that it worked.
One cm was particularly funny and made comments to guests such as "I hope you've got more than just a compact in that purse" as she delivered the check. She had a running dialog while we were there and would make comments from across the room about something or someone, an almost Don Rickles like style which was funny and another example of the old Disney magic. The staff also accomodated guests by taking family photos and then invited themselves to be included in the picture as "part of the family". It was priceless as were the "stick pony" races that came later. This is one of those "do again" places for a future trip because of the great time, great atmosphere and some really good food. The WL is probably second to the Poly for atmosphere and spirit.

We headed over to EPCOT after a brief break back at the CBR and arrived just in time to be admitted to Mission Space. We had all but given up hope on this attraction when one of the members of our party noted that we should probably check on it. Judy and I had forgotten all about it based on experiences earlier in the week. However our timing could not have been better as we were admitted immediately and here it was right at 4pm, just as the rumor mill had reported. We had eagerly awaited this attraction after having read about it on the various message boards and web sites, but were pretty much resigned to being too early or too late depending on the day. We had been at MGM prior to the opening of TOT and missed it by a couple of days and had a similar experience with Test Track, which is to say that it sometimes is just timing. On this day, July 4, 2003 at right about 4pm our timing was letter perfect. We walked right in and had a rush going before we were ever loaded into the capsules. The atmosphere in this attraction is such that you truly feel that you are in something special and that you are about to experience something special. Being among a select few given the opportunity to get in only added to the special feeling. Three of us were loaded into one capsule, Judy, her oldest sister (quasi Disney virgin) and me. The other two members of our group, her other sister and friend were in a seperate capsule. As we pulled the restraining devices down over our heads and locked them into place and sat back and waited for the experience, the rush truly kicked in at this point. I know that many of you have read about and/or experienced it for yourself. My feeling is that it is everything that is cracked up to be and more. The g-force that you feel is incredible. You truly feel as though you are part of a launch of a space vessel...I'm saying that not from experience but from what I imagine a space launch might be like. Then as you begin the travel through space it becomes more apparent that the Imagineers have pulled out all stops and fully intend to make this the single most talked about, most anticipated and ultimately the most popular attraction/ride in Florida. The high tech aspect of it is beyond compare. When you reach the point where you are at the edge of the "canyon" on Mars and are teetering and you are commanded by Gary Sinise "do not move a muscle", you feel as though you are right there. It's striking at the advancement of high tech in WDW attractions such as this. A decade or so ago Star Tours and Body Wars were state of the art and while still fun seem somehow dated alongside this one. Mission Space truly taxes your vocabulary to describe it and do it justice and ultimately the only way to do it justice is to experience it....which we all look forward to again at some point in the future. To say that it combines the best of both Test Track and Tower of Terror is not overstating it. I think this will give EPCOT a real boost in attendance and many people who come will ultimately see that the EPCOT experience is not just the high tech wonders of Future World East and West as you enter the park, but also the beauty of the more subtle more laid back, leisurely worlds of World Showcase East and World Showcase West. EPCOT went up several notches on my ladder of interest with this trip. I have always liked it, but this time around, perhaps thanks to the advantage of extra time and lighter crowds found new ways to enjoy and appreciate the experience.
From the big stuff such as Mission Space to the small things such as the ducks wondering about over in World Showcase, it's a potpurri of experiences to be taken in and so much so that one trip will only inspire you for more and the more you go the more you'll find yourself wanting to go. Mission Space will create a lot of converts. The Disney people have truly "found their mojo" with this one.

After Mission Space we made one more trip over to that lovely and lucious French Pastry Shop and along the way enjoyed yet another walk around World Showcase and I snapped some more pictures. While enjoying a pleasing assortment of pastries inside that "cozy" little dining area we made plans for what to that evening in the way of catching the fireworks display. It was decided that in order to avoid the crowds that would invade all parks that evening we would return to the Poly and watch the fireworks from the dock yet again.

Our initial plan was to park at the TTC and walk on over to the Poly. But by the point in the day the crowds at the Magic Kingdom had swollen to the point where the park was closed and traffic was being diverted elsewhere. So, best laid plans now lying were many best laid plans lie, we headed back to EPCOT, parked the van and took the Monorail to the Poly. As it was we still had time to stake out a good spot and by this time it was nearing 7:30. So we held to our vantage point on the dock and sat and/or stood by and waited for what would be a wonderful display. It all began with the EWP which instead of the dragons, etc, that are normally displayed, was a line of American Flags and the music system had been programmed to play You're a Grand Old Flag and some other such material. Then the fireworks began to fill the sky above the Magic Kingdom and once again the vantage point for this occasion was something out of a perfectly written script. At the end of the evening we collected ourselves, headed to the van and back to the room.

There is a certain conflict of emotions that accompany a final night of vacation. One is the positive in that in your heart of hearts you know that after this length of time you really are ready to go home and Judy and I were both missing our daughter. The other feeling is one of common sadness or dismay that comes because you know the vacation is over and that it has all gone by quickly. The other thing it always does to me is make me look forward to a future trip to WDW to experience some of the same things that make trips such as this so special and to experience the new things yet to come that will likewise make those trips exceptional as well. As was once said of Elvis Presley when he resumed his concert tours in 1969, the challenge was to keep it fresh and yet somehow keep it all familiar. Disney knows this and somehow does it. Sure they've made some changes that I don't agree with such as the Tiki Bird House which I think they ruined and yet they still have things that are constant such as Haunted Mansion. It's the best of both worlds. EPCOT was designed and conceived by Walt to be something which would constantly change. From our experience on this trip I think Walt would be proud and would probably enjoy hearing the things we shared among ourselves at the end of each, during the course of the day and on the way home and in the time that has passed since we returned. I, probably more than anyone else in our group, anxiously look forward to a future visit. To experience the familiar and to experience the change as well. Both offer plenty to look forward to.

Bill Yarbor
Haubstadt, IN

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom