Cypress Gardens

StevenT

Original Poster
Does anybody know anything about the re-opening of Cypress Gardens other than what can be found at www.cypressgardens.com? I never got a chance to go there while it was open, and given as I don't live an extreme distance from Winter Haven, I am getting slightly curious as to what is being done to bring the park back to life.

I expect it to do quite well, because the owner also owns Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA, so he sort of knows what he's doing. The website states upon re-opening "New adventures will abound with 37 exciting rides, including 4 roller coasters and the world’s tallest spinning rapids ride" I assume that the park will be mostly family friendly, and according to the rcdb, it looks like the four coasters will be more family oriented. However the "world's tallest spinning rapids ride" has me quite intregued. Rapid rides are always enjoyable, and usually when the hold a title like that, they are quite good rides.

I was just wondering if anybody knows much more about the park than this, such as what the other 32 rides are, how much of the old park was actually preserved, a possible opening date (I think it's October or something?)

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Screamscape has some nice information on the park.

I had only been two or three times when it was open but I am really looking forward to the reopening. I believe the opening date has been pushed back to November.

Moonshadow1

I rember going there when I was REALLY little. (Sort of) I don't rember any rides, just some gardens and a water ski show. I also rember being kinda bored with the whole thing. But thats all I know.

StevenT

Original Poster
NemoRocks78 said:
Screamscape has some nice information on the park.

I had only been two or three times when it was open but I am really looking forward to the reopening. I believe the opening date has been pushed back to November.
That would make sense. I just read on their site that they had substantial damage to the gardens and many of the buildings (there were/are in the process of bringing the older buildings up to the current, much stricter building codes). Although damage estimates are from $3.5-$5 million the all four roller coasters under construction suffered NO damage, and financial assistance may come from the Florida Department of Tourism. This comes from the press release here.

Also on the site are some new pictures, which they just added a few days ago I assume, of the park. While the inverted coaster looks a tad small, the wooden although small too looks like it may be quite enjoyable from this photo. It looks to me like more of a classic down and back woodie. Florida could use one of those.

tj229er

I don't know i'm kinda upset about the whole thing because i loved cypress gardens the way it was. I also don't think that tourist's who stay at disney are going to drive the 45min. to get to Cypress garden's adventure park.

StevenT

Original Poster
tj229er said:
I don't know i'm kinda upset about the whole thing because i loved cypress gardens the way it was. I also don't think that tourist's who stay at disney are going to drive the 45min. to get to Cypress garden's adventure park.
It may have been great while it was open, but it simply couldn't sustain itself. At least this way the park gets to live on, and hopefully draw enough crowds to sustain itself.

I must say that attendance is really concerning me. Cypress Gardens is in the middle of nowhere and is certainly not as well known as Busch Gardens, which is itself experiancing an attendance slump. I just hope the manager knows what he is doing.

disnyfan89

StevenT said:
I expect it to do quite well, because the owner also owns Wild Adventures in Valdosta GA, so he sort of knows what he's doing.

Don't make me laugh!!!!!!! Have you ever been??? It is disgusting!!! Six Flags is better than that park and that's saying something!!

StevenT

Original Poster
disnyfan89 said:
Don't make me laugh!!!!!!! Have you ever been??? It is disgusting!!! Six Flags is better than that park and that's saying something!!
Never been, never plan on going I was just saying that people still go, and he's still in business. More so he must have some business sense, even if he has no creative vision.

disnyfan89

StevenT said:
Never been, never plan on going I was just saying that people still go, and he's still in business. More so he must have some business sense, even if he has no creative vision.
You also have to take into consideration (sp?) that it is the only major theam park in the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom