Current WiFi status at parks

MissMaryEli

Original Poster
I did a search on WiFi at the parks, but there hasn't been an update in about a year.

How is the free WiFi at the park currently? Is it pretty reliable?

Thanks!

WhatJaneSays

It's pretty good. I normally turn my cell service off in the parks and just use the wifi. I wouldn't recommend it for wifi calling or excessive Pokemon Go but for everything else it works just fine.

Smiley/OCD

Yes it has been updated on a constant basis, and is performing better than ever. At&T has also invested a lot in their performance inside the parks for LTE.

That's pretty odd since we were staying at AOA the week after Easter, and our family uses AT& T...our friends had other carriers...we had NO cell service and the WiFi in the resort was aweful.Theirs was excellent. I STILL find it ironic that AT& T is the "official wireless carrier" and sponsor of MDE, but the service in the resort is HORRIBLE. I asked at the desk when we were leaving, and the story I was told was that the buildings are built to be "hurricane proof" and that is why the signals can't penetrate the buildings...yet, our friends had NO problems in their rooms.

If that is the ACTUAL truth, why can't the buildings be "wired" like subways and tunnels so the signal reaches the resorts?

maroonmol

I came back yesterday, and it was always working. As can be expected, sometimes it wavers in the corners of the parks or inside attractions but aside from that, it's great.

dreamfinder

If that is the ACTUAL truth, why can't the buildings be "wired" like subways and tunnels so the signal reaches the resorts?

Depends on the building construction, and the associated cost. Tunnels can be wired by essentially sticking one (or more) antenna in the middle and the signal travels unimpeded the length. But if the construction of the building causes problems with the signal, and each individual inner wall causes issues, then you need an antenna in each room. Much less feasible, and much more expensive. Not to mention a tunnel may serve thousands of devices a day, while your hotel building may just handle a dozen devices. Makes it hard to justify costs.

Not saying that is the case in this scenario.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's pretty odd since we were staying at AOA the week after Easter, and our family uses AT& T...our friends had other carriers...we had NO cell service and the WiFi in the resort was aweful.Theirs was excellent. I STILL find it ironic that AT& T is the "official wireless carrier" and sponsor of MDE, but the service in the resort is HORRIBLE. I asked at the desk when we were leaving, and the story I was told was that the buildings are built to be "hurricane proof" and that is why the signals can't penetrate the buildings...yet, our friends had NO problems in their rooms.

Here is some of what they have done
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...f-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resort.htm

Smiley/OCD

Depends on the building construction, and the associated cost. Tunnels can be wired by essentially sticking one (or more) antenna in the middle and the signal travels unimpeded the length. But if the construction of the building causes problems with the signal, and each individual inner wall causes issues, then you need an antenna in each room. Much less feasible, and much more expensive. Not to mention a tunnel may serve thousands of devices a day, while your hotel building may just handle a dozen devices. Makes it hard to justify costs.

Not saying that is the case in this scenario.

That's 100% understandable, but it just doesn't look good to sponsor something, and you can't even use their app to book FP+'s and dining reservations from your resort...if it works well for other carriers, why not AT&T...if your name is on it, don't you want it to work properly???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom