Current Status of River Country and Disc. Island?

Disney4648

Original Poster
Would anyone be willing to fill me in on what the status of River Country and Discovery Island are at this point? I know both closed some years back, but what is currently being done with the land? Isn't Discovery Island natural protected land?

Space Mountain

Discovery Island I believe is slowely flooding. If you go past it, a lot of the island has gone under. River country is also finished, as of now. Rumor has it that RC will one day reopen as a pool or a new waterpark.

jayhawk2307

I'm pretty sure that Discovery Island is now a bird sactuary(sp?). As for RC it's just sitting there collecting dust and allgea. I think they should demolish it and build some waterfront cabins which for Disney would equal $$$$$. One thing though what did Discovery Island used to be?

Horizons1

Here's a pic of the DI dock as of the 24th...

DSC06005.jpg

Overgrown and reminiscint of Jurrasic Park.

:lookaroun

EpcotServo

Overgrown and reminiscint of Jurrasic Park.

Yea, I'm sure it's all overgrown and full of zombies...Or there's a crazy doctor guy there making a new race of half human/ half animal people.

"THE ISLAND OF DR.EISNER"

Hey...I think I just came up with a great grindhouse movie!
"THIS IS MY MECCA!!!"
:lol:

Krozar

I'm pretty sure that Discovery Island is now a bird sactuary(sp?)

AKA a nicer term for land that nobody cares about and no hunting. :D

Birds prefer MK because they are addicted to churros.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
What was Discovery Island?

It was like a little mini-zoo with birds, reptiles etc.

Once Animal Kingdom opened, it didn't seem to make much sense to keep it, but it was a fun, relaxing place to go while it was there.

I wonder what they would do if you rented a mouse-boat, docked it and went exploring?:lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was like a little mini-zoo with birds, reptiles etc.

Once Animal Kingdom opened, it didn't seem to make much sense to keep it, but it was a fun, relaxing place to go while it was there.

I wonder what they would do if you rented a mouse-boat, docked it and went exploring?:lookaroun
The wife and I thought about doing just that when we were at Ft Wilderness the weekend before last but it looks like security patrols those areas pretty heavily so we did not bother. The worst they would probably do is ask you to leave unless of course there was a no trespassing sign on the dock.

Eyorefan

ANd to think; People SWAM in those pools!

uhm... the pools didn't look that that when people swam in them. :lookaroun

I have pictures of my oldest sister hanging out there. It looks like it would have been a lot of fun. I never got to go though so I don't know. It's a shame they don't keep it open, simplify it maybe, but have it for Ft. Wilderness people or something like that.

aladdinjrstar

Account Suspended
uhm... the pools didn't look that that when people swam in them. :lookaroun

I have pictures of my oldest sister hanging out there. It looks like it would have been a lot of fun. I never got to go though so I don't know. It's a shame they don't keep it open, simplify it maybe, but have it for Ft. Wilderness people or something like that.

Well after seeing how it looks now i may not want to swim there if ever does open....:lookaroun

Grim Grinner

From the sounds of it, I may have been one of the few here to actually "enjoy" River Country. I remember the long awkward ride to get to that waterpark, and the lack of things to do there. There was this slimey stuff that kept sticking to my legs that freaked me out...

and when I saw a snake swim by- I was finished.

The only thing I really liked there were these rope things you could swing on.

That's all I remember of the place... pretty disgusting and boring. Even if it was reopened, I doubt that I'd return.

Discovery Island was a small diversion that seemingly too forever to get to- and back from. Keep in mind that I was much younger, so that could have flavored my memories and perceptions. I remember it being pretty small and I kept looking for the Magic Kingdom.

cdunbar

Yeah pretty sure it got closed b/c of something to do with the water, I think they were just using cleansed lake water instead of highly chlorinated water...but I might be wrong does anyone remember:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah pretty sure it got closed b/c of something to do with the water, I think they were just using cleansed lake water instead of highly chlorinated water...but I might be wrong does anyone remember:shrug:
There was never an official reason given why it closed but you can bet that water quality was definitely one of them along with low attendance, staffing, location etc.

cdunbar

Yeah Yoda I brought up the water thing b/c for some reason I remember reading a article my local newspaper after it was closed, I think the health dept might of been involded as well but don't quote me on it...

WDW Monorail

If I'm not mistaken, the reason why the water theory surfaced is because Florida has a law that prohibits people from swimming in fresh water lakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom