Current Extra Magic Hours offer

macefamily

Original Poster
Do annual pass holders or DVC members get to take advantage of the current EMH offer ?
Or is it only for persons currently staying at a resort ?

macefamily

Original Poster
Another question for fellow board members. I tried using some of my DVC points to book a quick stay in late September. Everything is booked and waitlisted. I went on the Disney site and checked resort availability and 11 of them had the days I was looking for. How does Disney allocate DVC stays versus non-DVC reservations ?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Another question for fellow board members. I tried using some of my DVC points to book a quick stay in late September. Everything is booked and waitlisted. I went on the Disney site and checked resort availability and 11 of them had the days I was looking for. How does Disney allocate DVC stays versus non-DVC reservations ?
When a DVC member uses their points for a cruise, RCI, or AdvbyDisney, the costs are paid to the respective division by DVC, and they recoup the costs by renting out the DVC rooms. The formula for how, when, what, why, etc. is very closely guarded. So if a cruise is say, 200 points, then DVC takes rooms and nights that add up to 200 points, and rents them for cash. In addition, if a resort isn't full within 60 days, I believe, then they have the right to rent those out as well.

Also, not sure what you mean by availability. I just checked for Sept 22-29, and OKW and VGF are the only 2 showing anything at all. All the other DVC resorts show nothing available.

macefamily

Original Poster
When a DVC member uses their points for a cruise, RCI, or AdvbyDisney, the costs are paid to the respective division by DVC, and they recoup the costs by renting out the DVC rooms. The formula for how, when, what, why, etc. is very closely guarded. So if a cruise is say, 200 points, then DVC takes rooms and nights that add up to 200 points, and rents them for cash. In addition, if a resort isn't full within 60 days, I believe, then they have the right to rent those out as well.

Also, not sure what you mean by availability. I just checked for Sept 22-29, and OKW and VGF are the only 2 showing anything at all. All the other DVC resorts show nothing available.
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it.
Not sure how the dates line up, but I was looking for 9/20 - 9/22. Lots of cash-paid rooms in the resorts show as available.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not sure how the dates line up, but I was looking for 9/20 - 9/22. Lots of cash-paid rooms in the resorts show as available.
That's over a weekend, where Disney can charge more for the room, so it is entirely possible that DVC decided those were good days to swap for people's points.

nickys

Premium Member

Disney also owns 2-3% of the points at every DVC resort. Those are theirs to use to sell cash reservations, just like they do at non-DVC resorts.

The Disney inventory is totally separate from the inventory that members can book using their points.

seascape

Yes, it does. How do you think Disney pays for your exchanged hotel room? They take the same number of points and take those rooms for cash.
No. RCI is an external exchange. They take the number of points you exchanged for your RCI reservation and allows RCI members to trade in.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No. RCI is an external exchange. They take the number of points you exchanged for your RCI reservation and allows RCI members to trade in.
So how do the resorts that I exchange into, say to stay at the Fairmont in San Francisco, get paid for the room?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The Fairmont is part of the Concierge Collection, not RCI. Concierge Collection reservations work just like Disney Collection reservations.
Guess I picked a bad example. So how does any RCI resort get paid if I use my DVC points to stay there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom