Crystal River Manatees

Miceberg

Original Poster
DD will be traveling to WDW mid-February and wants to stay a night or two near Crystal River in order to see manatees. Anyone know if there are many manatees in that area now?

Driver

DD will be traveling to WDW mid-February and wants to stay a night or two near Crystal River in order to see manatees. Anyone know if there are many manatees in that area now?
I used to go to that area every year very nice! The best place to find them in that neighborhood would be at Homosassa Springs state park. They have a web site you can go and check it out. It's very easy to find on highway 19 just south of Crystal River. They have a good underwater viewing area.

Minnesota disney fan

We only went to see the manatees once, and I honestly can't remember the name of the place!
I do know that we only saw a few in their natural habitat, but it was totally worth it.

Miceberg

Original Poster
I used to go to that area every year very nice! The best place to find them in that neighborhood would be at Homosassa Springs state park. They have a web site you can go and check it out. It's very easy to find on highway 19 just south of Crystal River. They have a good underwater viewing area.
I agree, it's a great place to visit! We went there many years ago and I think that's why she's leaning towards that area. I was just curious if this is the right time of year to see the manatee "hordes".

Journey_On

Yes, Crystal River is a great place to see manatees right now. The colder it is, the better chance you have of seeing them. Blue Springs State Park is also a great place to see manatees when it is cold. We went stand-up paddleboarding over there on a chilly day and saw a good number of them.

Driver

I agree, it's a great place to visit! We went there many years ago and I think that's why she's leaning towards that area. I was just curious if this is the right time of year to see the manatee "hordes".
Absolutely, and I see a few other post for places I wasn't aware of. And I thought of another place, I believe it's Ponce de Leon and I think it's in Deland. ( you could look it up) I went there many years ago with my cousin there were so many manatees gathered around the warm spring you could almost walk across their backs. The key is this is a good time of year to find them grouped up . The waters are cold so they go to these areas to stay warm.

Miceberg

Original Poster
Absolutely, and I see a few other post for places I wasn't aware of. And I thought of another place, I believe it's Ponce de Leon and I think it's in Deland. ( you could look it up) I went there many years ago with my cousin there were so many manatees gathered around the warm spring you could almost walk across their backs. The key is this is a good time of year to find them grouped up . The waters are cold so they go to these areas to stay warm.

That sounds fantastic, my daughter would swoon!! I'll definitely be looking it up for her, heck, I may need to make the trip myself!

Miceberg

Original Poster
The weather at the time you travel will be the determining factor. If the high temperatures are in the 50's or or lower or a few days back to back, Blue Springs will be absolutely thick with manatees.

You can also get a daily manatee count for Blue Springs at this link or call them directly at 386-775-3663.

https://www.savethemanatee.org/manatees/manatee-webcams/

Thank you so much for the link! The daily count was down at 147 manatees - what was it up to I wonder?! The trip is in 3 weeks, I'm not sure if the cool weather will continue.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you so much for the link! The daily count was down at 147 manatees - what was it up to I wonder?! The trip is in 3 weeks, I'm not sure if the cool weather will continue.
The manatees will go into the springs when it gets too cold. They can become hypodermic if the water temperature gets down to the low 60's (I think) so when that happens they retreat to the springs where the water 72 +/- degrees. When the water temperature goes back up they go back into the river where there is more food.

Miceberg

Original Poster
The manatees will go into the springs when it gets too cold. They can become hypodermic if the water temperature gets down to the low 60's (I think) so when that happens they retreat to the springs where the water 72 +/- degrees. When the water temperature goes back up they go back into the river where there is more food.
You may have misunderstood me - I was wondering what the manatee count was earlier (if its 147 manatees today - what was the high count before that?).

Nemo14

Blue spring is a great place to see manatees. We've taken friends there throughout the month of February, and as others have said, the cooler, the more of them you'll see. Just don't go on the weekends if you can avoid it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

They cannot tolerate water temperatures below 68 degrees. Which is why in the winter, you see them congregate around utilities warm water waste pipes. DEP (now FWC) would conduct the annual survey during winter for this reason.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Best place to view manatees is Homossasa Springs. The Park Rangers will be excellent guides.

Another good place to see manatees is Sea World. Their manatee exhibit is excellent. Sea World is also involved in the manatee rescue network and is the primary facility in Florida for the rescue, treatment and release of injured manatees. The manatees you see in their exhibit are primarily ones who cannot be released back into the wild.

Just note that they are a federally protected species and it is illegal to harrass them, including touching them. We had lots of issues with some of the swimming with the manatee programs in Crystal River.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom