Creative Department at Disney

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Hello all. Due to personal circumstances, I have not completed any college preparation. I recently graduated high school and I'm just trying to save up some money right now and take a break, as I'm going through some very tough times emotionally.

I have no clue what I want to do. I want to go to college, but I don't know what I want to major in. I love character building/analysis, and I consider myself to have decent creative writing skills. My dream job would be to work for Disney, either in a creative department at Imagineering or story at Pixar/WDA. I have no interest in math or science, and from looking at the Disney jobs listings for Imagineering, that seems to be all of the openings. I cannot draw to save my life, either. I just have an overactive imagination and a knack for getting those ideas on paper.

I know it's unrealistic to expect to get a job at WDI or WDA out of the gate. But do those jobs even exist? Is there a pure creative department at WDI? I do plan on trying to get into the DCP. Is an internship my best bet? Could I go from there?

I have no clue what to major in, and I know a college counselor could help me with that. I plan on working on getting my Associates at the local community college to start, and later transfer to a university. I just feel very behind and at a major disadvantage. I feel like I am too late and that I might not be able to realize my dream because of circumstances (religious teachings discouraging/banning higher education).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if I sound condescending or whiny.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yellow Shoes design group, part of WDI.

You'll need an BFA from a good art school - preferably an MFA, a seriously badass portfolio, professional experience AT or below the level of the job you want to apply for, and some experience with Disney (that ended up with a positive rehire note for yourself)

lazyboy97o

First, don’t worry about not starting college right out of high school. It’s not that big of a deal and you probably won’t be the oldest person in your classes. Going to community college is a prudent way to start, just make sure the school works within a larger university system and that your credits will transfer.

It sounds like you want to pursue writing as a career. I can understand why you may be hesitant to pursue a degree in writing as it is one often mocked as useless since anyone can write. That is something you will have to research and decide for yourself but there are multiple options if you are concerned about not have a “practical” degree (minor, double major, masters).

Because writing is something you can just do for awhile with $2 in supplies, if it is something you want to do then start doing it now. Lots of professional writers talk about setting aside dedicated time to just write something, anything (and don’t just write one type of thing, even if that is what you really want to do). Do that, obviously you can’t dedicate 8 hours a day and go to school and possibly work, but you could dedicate something more reasonable like an hour a day. You could also look into finding work now writing, just don’t undervalue yourself on a lot of these freelance websites where you end up working for well below minimum wage.

Lastly, keep your horizon open. Wanting to work for Disney is great but there are lots of other places out there doing related creative work and sometimes even doing it for Disney. There are also aspects to jobs that are not “pure” creative jobs that you may find deeply rewarding. Keep yourself open to new possibilities as that will help enrich your creativity.

mkt

Premium Member
Also, true story - having worked at Disney, and now as a professional creative (In-house Creative Director for a $20 billion/yr multinational corporation), I find the parks infinitely more enjoyable as a paying guest than I ever did as a CM.

Sure, I don't get to go backstage and geek out - but I also have money left over in my bank account every month (which inevitably gets spent at WDW)

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Yellow Shoes design group, part of WDI.

You'll need an BFA from a good art school - preferably an MFA, a seriously badass portfolio, professional experience AT or below the level of the job you want to apply for, and some experience with Disney (that ended up with a positive rehire note for yourself)

Wow, just looking at MFAs, I don't think I'm going to aim for that. I'm broke and I want something to fall back on, y'know? I have decent grades but nothing fantastic (I didn't really try too hard in high school as I didn't think I would be attending a 4 year). It seems scary to have a degree that might not get me that job. I guess I could always take classes in something else (like business or computing) while I earn my Masters?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to have my Masters, haha.

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
First, don’t worry about not starting college right out of high school. It’s not that big of a deal and you probably won’t be the oldest person in your classes. Going to community college is a prudent way to start, just make sure the school works within a larger university system and that your credits will transfer.

It sounds like you want to pursue writing as a career. I can understand why you may be hesitant to pursue a degree in writing as it is one often mocked as useless since anyone can write. That is something you will have to research and decide for yourself but there are multiple options if you are concerned about not have a “practical” degree (minor, double major, masters).

Because writing is something you can just do for awhile with $2 in supplies, if it is something you want to do then start doing it now. Lots of professional writers talk about setting aside dedicated time to just write something, anything (and don’t just write one type of thing, even if that is what you really want to do). Do that, obviously you can’t dedicate 8 hours a day and go to school and possibly work, but you could dedicate something more reasonable like an hour a day. You could also look into finding work now writing, just don’t undervalue yourself on a lot of these freelance websites where you end up working for well below minimum wage.

Lastly, keep your horizon open. Wanting to work for Disney is great but there are lots of other places out there doing related creative work and sometimes even doing it for Disney. There are also aspects to jobs that are not “pure” creative jobs that you may find deeply rewarding. Keep yourself open to new possibilities as that will help enrich your creativity.

Okay, definitely going to double check that I can transfer my credits. I don't know much about colleges, though. I'll have to ask the college counselor about that.

Definitely planning on minoring in something to fall back on.

This post really made me realize that if I want to pursue writing, I need to work on my skill. Honestly, I don't write that often. I'm not even sure if I enjoy the act of writing all that much. I love the finished product, though. I love talking about what I write. I do have a part time job (and I may be doing two jobs soon) so I can't write constantly. I just have a lot of hobbies and writing is the only one I can see reasonably supporting myself with. I looked into freelancing sites last night, but I don't know anything about technical writing, and I don't have enough confidence in my creative writing that I think anyone would pay for it at this point. I had someone critique one of my pieces (a fanfiction, don't judge me :angelic:) and she said with a little bit of editing, it could be published. That honestly meant a lot but I'm still unsure if I could ever be up to caliber. This is something I know I will have to work on.

I suppose my absolute dream job would be someone like Pablo Hidalgo. So like a Disney Parks version of him (keeping all the canon in order) would be great :p However I doubt that will ever happen. Honestly I just want to make people happy. As a kid, I remember being captured by Disney and Pixar's storytelling, and that sparked my love of the craft. I want to be able to pass that on to others- whether it's through the parks or through visual media.

Thank you for your response!

Lora Baines Bradley

Original Poster
Also, true story - having worked at Disney, and now as a professional creative (In-house Creative Director for a $20 billion/yr multinational corporation), I find the parks infinitely more enjoyable as a paying guest than I ever did as a CM.

Sure, I don't get to go backstage and geek out - but I also have money left over in my bank account every month (which inevitably gets spent at WDW)

Oh wow, that's fantastic! It sounds like an awesome job. I worry that working for Disney would ruin the magic for me, but if it translates to making a little kid's eyes light up, then so be it.

lazyboy97o

Wow, just looking at MFAs, I don't think I'm going to aim for that. I'm broke and I want something to fall back on, y'know? I have decent grades but nothing fantastic (I didn't really try too hard in high school as I didn't think I would be attending a 4 year). It seems scary to have a degree that might not get me that job. I guess I could always take classes in something else (like business or computing) while I earn my Masters?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to have my Masters, haha.
A Masters comes after you have completed your Bachelors and in a lot of cases do not require that your Bachelors be in the same field. You could go get a Bachelors in business while taking creative electives you enjoy and then go work on a Masters in a more creative field.

Okay, definitely going to double check that I can transfer my credits. I don't know much about colleges, though. I'll have to ask the college counselor about that.
If you go to a state school that is part of a state system, then you should have a number of options for transfer. It’s not unusual for all credits within a state system to be considered equal, so it makes no difference if you take History 101 at the community college or the top school in the system. Other schools even have [near] guaranteed admission programs where completing an Associates Degree at the community college will get you into a specific university. It’s something you should be able to research yourself.

Definitely planning on minoring in something to fall back on.
Minors don’t typically have a lot of weight for employment unless their in a related field, but it can be a way to learn more about something you are passionate about.

This post really made me realize that if I want to pursue writing, I need to work on my skill. Honestly, I don't write that often. I'm not even sure if I enjoy the act of writing all that much. I love the finished product, though. I love talking about what I write. I do have a part time job (and I may be doing two jobs soon) so I can't write constantly. I just have a lot of hobbies and writing is the only one I can see reasonably supporting myself with. I looked into freelancing sites last night, but I don't know anything about technical writing, and I don't have enough confidence in my creative writing that I think anyone would pay for it at this point. I had someone critique one of my pieces (a fanfiction, don't judge me :angelic:) and she said with a little bit of editing, it could be published. That honestly meant a lot but I'm still unsure if I could ever be up to caliber. This is something I know I will have to work on.
Our pop culture currently saturated with this idea that artistic careers are the most valuable, are based entirely on raw [untrained] talent and that if you are not the best by 20 then you just don’t have what it takes. That just isn’t true. Those people are the outliers, the exception, and it’s omay to struggle with your craft and it’s okay if it takes time to hit your stride.

SSH

As a fellow creative (20+ year professional CD/writer), I say mkt nails it. :) Places like theme parks and cruise lines are often assumed to be fun, exciting or glamorous work - and they're usually the companies that pay the least (because they have no shortage of eager applicants) and drive you nuts with the internal politics and endless committees of approvers that make you want to tear your hair out. Don't get me started on all the brilliant creative concept work I've seen people develop that gets watered down by huge approval committees and the endless rounds of revisions by everyone whose title allows them to have a say in the creative kitchen. lol.

Here's my two cents of advice: find and excel at a niche that's considered hard, "dull/boring" but high growth or needed. Build a career there. You'll stand out from the crowd and earn a better living with more $$$$ to blow on fun theme park and cruise vacations. ;)

mkt

Premium Member
Here's my two cents of advice: find and excel at a niche that's considered hard, "dull/boring" but high growth or needed. Build a career there. You'll stand out from the crowd and earn a better living with more $$$$ to blow on fun theme park and cruise vacations. ;)

After the parks, I left the country to go back to school and get in touch with my roots. Then I worked in aerospace as a Designer for a US multinational corporation and then a Canadian one, jumped to finance as a Sr. Designer/Art Director for a European bank, and then a US based bank, and now I'm a CD and Creative Team Lead (ie, CD that does more than manage employees and approve other people's work) for a US multinational insurance company.

It may seem boring, but it's been a fun ride every step of the way, and I wouldn't change this level of professional experience and development for the world.

Also, WDW is much more fun for me as a guest than as a CM. And the fringe benefits at my current employer include regular weeklong LA trips, where I can tag a Disneyland weekend visit before and after the business portion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom