Craft Project! Ear-alteration!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I tried to figure out what forum to put this in.. but was at a loss.. so here it is. In a forum that allows me to post pics but also has something to do with the topic :)

The Project
: I'm going to turn my YOMD's mouse ears I got from Disneyland into Epcot Spaceship Earth mouse ears.

Supplies (thus far) :

1 Pair of YOMD's mouse ears

Needed supplies:

Silver fabric or floral paint
Tile pattern
Some sort of patch/SSE icon
Some way to transfer tile pattern

Anything else? Any ideas on how I should go about this?

I figure if i really screw up i can buy mor eears from ebay or just use regular black ears to experiment until i get it right. As it stands right now, I'm using the DreamEars because they have reflective silver plastic ears and a light colored cap with silver trim. Seems like the perfect candidate for becoming Spaceship Earth ears.

Any suggestions? I'm headed to the store shortly..

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Ok.. I'm definately gonna need painter's tape and plastic wrap to protect parts of the hat while others are being painted.

I'm not sure what to do about the YOMD's sticker/iron-on that's in the front-center. It looks like it can come off, but i'm aorried about residue. It's probably easiest to try and find something "Epcot" to cover it with, but i do think it'll need to be removed.

Think if i iron it with a hot iron it'll just sorta pop off?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, here's the hat before I started..

dreamhat002.jpg

And here it is with a freshly removed patch..

dreamhat004.jpg

It came off suprisingly easily after I ironed it. Just a little bit of residue, but i dont think that'll be a problem. I cleaned up the edges a little and removed any rough spots from the glue. I think any sort of Epcot icon i find will easily cover it.

jiminy.cricket

Sweet! I can only think of two neat ways to transfer the pattern; either draw it on fabric, then embellish the fabric with paint and glitter before gluing to the ears, or print the pattern on thin paper and trace with permanent marker that will bleed through the paper neatly. It would be awesome if the ears came with twinkly lights too! It would also be awesome if you could find a patch from WDW's 25th to sew on the front...

Maybe add retro logos on the back? Fireworks in the sky? Great idea using the ears to represent geodesic spheres!

Or you could etch the pattern onto the ears, although that would be complicated and you risk breaking the plastic.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, the current plan is to turn the cap itself silver and then put the tile pattern from SSE onto it, somehow. The physical plastic ears will just stay silver.

jiminy.cricket

Well, the current plan is to turn the cap itself silver and then put the tile pattern from SSE onto it, somehow. The physical plastic ears will just stay silver.

Oh...that sounds more complicated! Maybe you could draw small semi circles to represent SSE on the front and the back, and sew the silver fabric with pattern onto those, and leave the sky in the background...

Oh, and don't forget to create a miniature arm, hand, and wand to glue on top...or halfway around the hat, rather! :D

RnRJoe6114

I doubt that if he's making a 'tribute' hat for the ride that he would put the wand on it especially now that it was confirmed to be coming down.

I say tribute 'cause I wasn't sure what else you could call it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Here's an idea. Get some iron-on transfer sheets for your computer printer.

Copy the Spaceship Earth pattern from the internet and print it out onto the iron-on transfer sheet.

Transfer the pattern onto the hat.

That may be the tricky part though, come to think about it!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm back from the store!

I got:

Super Silver 732 Design Master spray paint for florals and fabrics.
Caligraphy pen set (varying widths)
PhotoFrabric - sheets you run through the printer your own soft fabric designs
Dissapearing Mark-B-Gone, to trace/copy, it vanishes after 72 hours
Heatbond Ultra Hold

The plan is to spray paint the cap with the silver. Then use the mark-b-gone tracing paper to transfer the tile pattern and then go over it with the caligraphy pens. Then I'll design a logo for the front of the hat, print it onto the PhotoFabric, cut it out, turn it into an iron on patch using the HeatnBond, and then iron it onto the front of the cap.

Whoo, i'm excited.

New misc stuff:

Cling wrap and painters tape. Right now i'm masking the parts of the cap I don't want spray painted silver - the trim, the ears.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Taping it up was more of a pain then i'd imaged. I got it done though. Had to fold-over chunks of blue painters tape for the trim - twas tedious.

The ears themselves were a big pain in the tushy. Wrapped them in cling wrap and did the bottom bits with the tape. It had a tendancy to bunch up and get all messy. Took several tries. Either way, it's not sealed and I brought it out for the first coat.

The most obvious problem is the where the old patch was. It immediately looked different then the rest of the cap. Color cover overall looks pretty good, i'll have to see how it looks dry and also how colorfast it is.

It's gonna need a decent size new patch to hide the old patch glue.

PrincessofP!NK

how could you do that to your lovely ears?
I would never do that to my YOaMD ears.
but I cant wait to see the finished product!
good luck!!!:hammer:

:sohappy: That is like so awesome and such an awesome idea! you could tottaly market those! hahaha that would be cool, but like just use reg. mickey ears off of like ebay or somewhere lol:D

how could you do that to your lovely ears?

I would never do that to my YOaMD ears.
but I cant wait to see the finished product!

good luck!!!:hammer:

Once you've been on the boards a little longer, I think you'll realize that mousermerf's views on the YoaMD really fit nicely with this project :rolleyes:

Good luck with the Ears, Merf...they're looking excellent so far!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
It turns out masking the sections was pretty much pointless. All it did was make me miss some of the blue.

So, i took the masking off, and as i did, I realized the spots were i did a shoddy job it really made no difference if it was sprayed silver or not - i was covering silver assuming it'd get screwed up.

I just took it all off and sprayed the whole thing. Looks exactly the same, exacept the ears themselves are just a smidge less mirror-like.

PrincessofP!NK

those ears look excellent right now!
you should sell custom ones to people on here .__________.
like 30 bucks for one?
:shrug: GREAT IDEA!!!
Princess

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom