CoP - I don't think it will ever be gone

KevinPage

Original Poster
Call me naive or an eternal optimist, but I think Disney knows it would have a PR nightmare on its hands if it was gone. But that isn't the main thing that would stop them, I think.

What the heck else could they use that building for?
(Disneyland turned it into Innoventions & a rotating futuristic Country Bear Jamboree would only please General Grizz)

Plus, as much as management is clueless these days, there still are people in the company that know and do the right thing. Walt always wanted this attraction to remain. If Disney "brass" really wanted to get rid of it, they could have years ago.

If they really need the space, they could just get rid of the Galaxy Palace theatre (which only seems to be open during the Xmas party to see Mickey running around in PJ's)

General Grizz

Everyone at Disney knows it, not sure about the public, so here it goes.

The Carousel of Progress was the ONLY attraction Walt Disney himself told his Imagineers to keep in his parks so long as they existed before he died.

*phew* Now everyone knows that... :D

Not to say CoP will always be in the Magic Kingdom, but SOMEWHERE. (Please. . .let's keep it in America. :lookaroun :rolleyes: :lol: ) Sure, tasteful updates are always welcome. :p

Disney would be in a lot of trouble if they decided to pull the plug. To quote Paul from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, "Yah. A lottatruble."

grandmath

I wish this attraction could find a permanent home at Epcot, why not in the actual Global Neighborhood, in one of the Innoventions area, or better yet, as an additionnal show to the Universe of Energy pavillion?

A place where it would always find its audience, and stay open the whole year. Epcot would surely be the perfect place. I don't want to see this one going!

(timekeeper don't care as we still have one open every day and successfull in DLRP :D )

General Grizz

Unfortunately there is no more room at EPCOT.

It could have fit behind Imagination (where Soarin' now is) and I believe the other side of the Land is much too small.

Rumor states that it can fit in Innoventions plaza, but that would seem to crowded.

The Odyssey area is over water and does not have the support to hold the massive theater. Heck, it's partially sinking in the Tomorrowland ground as-is! :lol:

The best chance for CoP to enter EPCOT would be in the present World Showplace (old Milennium Village) or in the Wonders of Life area. It does fit much better at EPCOT, but I'd hate to see Health and Life be given up on. Otherwise, a new location in the MK *cough* Speedway *cough* would be preferable.

civileng68

Account Suspended
no way

I think it will stay. It's obvious that it's there but maybe not wanted by high management because until AE closed they rarely used it.

I dont see them moving it to another park because of the expense. Alot of COP is built underground and it would really not be cost effective AT ALL to move it.

bucklmd

Why are we talking about moving it at all? If they are going to keep it in the parks, then wouldn't it be a lot of expense and trouble to move it? Sounds like a waste of time and money to me. If they are going to spend money on it, they should update it. Tomorrowland and Future World essentially have the same theme, so if it is going to stay (which I hope it does) why would it move out of Tomorrowland?

General Grizz

I think it should be rebuilt eventually to incorporate a totally fresh system of gears (to stop those shutdowns!) Of course, after an efficent new plan is designed. . . that goes for state-of-the-art audio system and animatronics as well. :D

grandmath

You can always find some room (by removing roads, parts of parking lots, building over/under etc).

As for Epcot having the same theme as Tomorrowland, I disagree. It was maybe true in the first years but not anymore. In fact, COP is the only educational ride that remains in Tomorrowland. The rest is fantasy.

Walt said that Disneyland was a place where people could have fun and learn... that was true, until Epcot opened. Tomorrowland used to showcase the future and COP fit well here, but new tomorrowlands are more becoming fantasies than anything else. And it's perfect this way: MAGIC Kingdom shouldn't be about learning, it would be about magical places, amazins experiences, fun and laughter. Epcot's Futurworld should be this place when fun is mixed with reality and knowlegde. That would really differenciate the place. And COP would fit better at Epcot, reaching the audience that is interested at first in seeing it (kids included). And remember that the average guest is older at Epcot, therefore again more likely to be interested in a theater-type show.

MK should target especially: kids (and kids at heart) with families
Epcot: Grown ups and Adults
MGM: Teens and young adults
Animal Kingdom: families

(but we know every disney park is basically made for everyone)

Let's face it, guys: COP doesn't fit with Tomorowland's audience anymore. No one goes there, as they are looking for fantasy and good clean fun and thrills. I think it would fit sooooo well at Epcot, and I'm sure it would be more successfull there.

ps: moving it wouldn't be so difficult. Ok, there is the cost of adapting an existing place or building a theater, but then, the sets and audio-animatronics have just to be moved and that costs nothing.

KevinPage

Original Poster
I'm sure the cost to move it from MK to Epcot is far less than it was when the moved it from California to Florida :D

Goofyfanatic

It seems I am in the minority on the board...but I would like to see it stay in the Magic Kingdom...To me this is walt's theme park....it is where I get the true sense of walt Disney's presence...keep it where it's at

bucklmd

I agree with you Goofyfanatic. Whether COP fits in with the theming at Tomorrowland or Future World, it will stay at MK. I personally don't care where it is as long as it's there, but it is a waste of efforts to move it to anywhere else in WDW. There is more expense than creating a new theater. There is a lot of labor associated with this, and knowing how operations have been recently then it would not be a good return on investment to move this attraction anywhere. If they were going to update it when they moved it, then maybe I could understand, but it doesn't make sense to me to switch things around.

Does anyone know if WDW has ever moved an attraction within parks? I know they move things to different locations (i.e. WDW to DL), but I can't think of any examples of them moving an attraction from MK to Epcot, etc.

When I mentioned earlier that Tomorrowland and Future World were essentially the same theme, I was just meaning in general. Obviously they are for different purposes, but if the MK is for fantasy only, then what is the Hall of Presidents all about? I personally see that as educational. My point is that we all know that not every theme at every park is perfect, but Walt also said that the park would never be complete as long as there is imagination.

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by Goofyfanatic
It seems I am in the minority on the board...but I would like to see it stay in the Magic Kingdom...To me this is walt's theme park....it is where I get the true sense of walt Disney's presence...keep it where it's at

If you feel Walt at MK, you should really go to Disneyland. You'd almost feel him looking over your shoulder.

As for CoP, I was told by a long time Imagineer that it would always be in a park, somewhere. Here, Paris, DL, HK...who knows where it's next home will be. In any event, I don't see it leaving MK anytime soon.

greg416

COP is one of the Great ones

I think that the disney company needs to take a good hard look at the originals like cop, potc,haunted mansion, spaceship earth, horizons, world of motion , These rides are the best rides in the park I feel like I am in a whole different world when caught up in potc . The creativity and animatronics fascinate me.There is no simulator that can take the place of an actual adventure . Walt disney's magic created those rides and that is what disney world needs those rides never get old , I f they would use todays technology to create new rides like those the WORLD would be a better place!!!!!!!!

LuciferKitty

I posted this in my trip update already, but when I was in MK earlier this month, a female CM who was operating CofP seemed to be almost "warning" people! I thought it was very strange. She said that it was her job to make sure that the attraction "never goes anywhere", and she was like "How many of you can say this is your favorite attraction?! Raise your hand high and proud! If this is your first visit to the carousel, please go tell guest services how much you loved it, for this surely will be your new favorite! This was Walt's favorite!" or something to that effect...it was almost propaganda like! I asked a diff. cast member if he knew about the future of the attraction, and he said that it has nothing to worry about. So, who knows. :rolleyes:

darkeyeliner

Originally posted by Goofyfanatic

i agree. when im in there, i can tell that CoP was one of the attractions Walt did not want to let go to waste. its my one of my favorites - it reminds me of being a little kid in disneyworld again. :D

OliveMcFly

COP is one of my favorite attractions. When I was there 2 yrs ago COP has hours. Remember what happened with Figment? People freaked. Same thing with COP. I want my kids to see it and thier kids to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom