Contemporary-wing vs. tower

noname70

Could someone tell me the pro/cons of staying in one of the wings at the Contemporary vs the tower? Is it worth the extra $100 per night? Is the walk from the wing a hassle? :veryconfu

Davy Crockett

I am staying at the Contemporary for the first time this October. As a matter of fact, it is my first trip to Disney World. However, due to my research and planning I think I can offer some advice.

If you get a water view in the North Wing, you will have one of the best views in the "World" for the price according to the Unofficial Guide. I had made a reservation for a room just like that. In fact, the author even gives specific room numbers. They were going to charge me $310 per night for that room.

Since we have a 2 year old we got cold feet. The first reason was that we were afraid of having our patio door so close to the lake. The second reason was that it may be a hassle walking to the main building. So I ended up breaking down and paying the extra $60 per night. This is also our first trip since we had a child so I guess we are trying to play it safe.

I liked my first choice best, because I was looking forward to having a relatively quiet stay right in the middle of everything.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ebay6988

Account Suspended
i had a room in the north wing that had a water view, and to be honest, I thought it sucked. The view was nothing. The whole resort is crappy and themed poorly. The wings are really far away from the tower. I would recomend staying in a different deluxe resort.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

The largest room I've ever seen on property was the room my cousins had this summer. It was a first floor, corner room in the North Wing. They had windows that overlooked Bay Lake and their walk-out doors were right in front of the beach volleyball court. We had a tower room with a view of the Magic Kingdom. After a card night in their room, we wished we could change. It was a bit of a hike to the main building but very close to the pools. I believe each have their pros and cons. I'll take a corner, first floor room anytime.

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

Having never stayed in a Garden Wing I can not comment on the Walk and such. But I can offer what the tower rooms are like. First off it is really cool to hear the charaters call out the floors on the elevator. Staying higher up is great because no matter which side of the tower you are on you get a great view.

When staying in the tower every time you walk out you door, you are imediately in the middle of the action. There is little noise in the rooms from the concourse, but step out side and everywhere you look something is going on. You almost get the feeling you are in an archology (a city self-contained in one building- for those non sim city folks).

As to the two views. First we have my fav. Mk side. Watching the world wake up is a great way to start your day. The mist that covers the landscape, the quiet over what will soon be chaos. Watching the monorails coming on to the main spurs. Then to end your day you get views of the fireworks, water pagent, and kiss good night, all from your balcony. It is quite easy to watch spectromagic, leave and be on your balcony in your pj's for the fireworks. And as for a view of the mk and castle there is not a better one to be had.

Bay lake is much more relaxing. It is peaceful all day long. With the exception of the music, which you can hear from the 12th floor, from the pool. The afternoons are the best entertainment time for this view. Watching the afternoon storms roll in, and the watermouse renters scurry for the dock is quite amusing. Bay lake views also get to see the water parade, but with a better angle. Either way is a great way to go.

Upvote 0

shello1113

I am also staying in the Contemporary in October. We have a tower room. Last year we did the same thing. Being in the Tower it is very close to the pool, gift shop, snack bar, monorail, you can also just walk to the magic kingdom. We had kids with us so being that close to the snack bar came in very handy.
My personal favorite hotel is the Polynesian because of the surroundings. The Contemporary is just that, contemporary settings.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

We have stayed in a tower room three times and they are in my opinion worth the extra money. Our view of the MK was wonderful, fireworks and all. We always stood outside our door and watched the monorail enter and depart every morning as we were leaving. The convenience of taking the elevator down to the monorail station was great. The Contemp. is a great hotel!!

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We're thinking of staying at the Contemporary in December, but in order to do so, would have to alter our dates by a day and thus, pay more for airfare. The north Garden rooms seem to be quite attractive to me, from the standpoint that you can walk out of your room and pretty much head right over the MK. Is this correct?

Upvote 0

maelstrom

I've stayed in the wings twice and the tower twice. The tower is so much better. You can see pictures of the room and the view at my website under May 2003 and 2004. Request MK view on the highest floor possible; it's amazing. The room is huge. It's just.. wow. It's staying right in the magic, as far as I'm concerned. The decorating is very bright and colourful; it is not drab like some people like to claim. If staying in a wing room, you have to hike to get to the monorail or food court, and that's no fun. Stay in the tower, you won't regret it!

Upvote 0

fjm777

maelstrom said:
If staying in a wing room, you have to hike to get to the monorail or food court, and that's no fun.

It is hard for me to believe that it is that much of a hike. Have you ever stayed at one of the All Stars - in the back? Talk about a hike. It's about 400 miles away from the food court and buses. Last year we stayed there and left our room first thing in the morning. By the time we reached the buses from our room the parks had closed. :lol: We are going to try a wing room this year at the contemporary and I guess I will see for myself. Besides, there is no way we could afford a tower room.

Upvote 0

Sharon L

fjm777 said:
It is hard for me to believe that it is that much of a hike. Have you ever stayed at one of the All Stars - in the back? Talk about a hike. It's about 400 miles away from the food court and buses. Last year we stayed there and left our room first thing in the morning. By the time we reached the buses from our room the parks had closed. :lol: We are going to try a wing room this year at the contemporary and I guess I will see for myself. Besides, there is no way we could afford a tower room.
I'm with you on this one. We will be staying in a wing room at the Contemporary as well. I just couldn't justify the much higher rate. I really don't think the hike is that bad. When we ate at Chef Mickeys on our last trip, we parked in the North Wing parking lot and walked to the restaurant. It didn't take that long, and I didn't need a nap by the time we got there.

Upvote 0

tigger-wdw

why care about the location or scenery!

look dude your only going to be in the room for maybe 7-9 hours of the day ,put your head down to rest thats about it ,i know from expirences been to disney 12 times save your money buy your wife a steak or watch or what ever dont pay more
tigger-wdw

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

I worked at the Contemporary, and after a shift as a runner, I can assure you...the farthest rooms in the wings are a HUGE hike!! :lol: We used to have people try to switch rooms all the time to be closer. My experience from being in a good part of the rooms is this: the rooms in the tower are kept up much better than in the wings. I don't know why, but I always found the hallways, the bathrooms, and the guestrooms themselves to just be in all around better shape in the tower. The rooms in the wings sometimes had a musty smell. *shrugs* I don't think it was just in my head, as I always had several co-workers who agreed. FYI though, the standard rooms (not any kind of suites) are exactly the same size and configuration in the wings and the tower. PM me if you have other questions, I can tell you what rooms offer better views and so forth. (PS 6101, 6102, 6129, 6130, 8101, 8102, 8129 & 8130 all face a wall, as do their counterparts on the 2nd and 3rd floors. A parking lot view would be better, in my opinion :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

wardrobeguy

Glad I found this thread..! I'm going to be staying at the Contemporary for the 1st time in a few weeks and have wanted to since I was a kid in the 70s. I've visited the resort on previous trips to WDW and rather liked the public areas.

As for who cares about location and view... For location, I chose this hotel for a 'Classic Disney' weekend of Magic Kingdom and Epcot...throw in the fact this is one of the original WDW hotels...and it is served by monorail.

I also plan on spending time at the resort relaxing... be that walking the grounds, sunning by the water, or relaxing in my room on my terrace instead of rushing from park to park, so yeah....I have an interest in location and view.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom