Contemporary Wall Maps

lincicome

Greetings,
This is my first post so please be gentle, usually I just read what others have to say but today i need some help.

While I was growing up my parents took us to WDW every year around christmas time and we always stayed at the contemporary, and usually stayed in the North garden wing. This was before the convention center in front and to get to the lobby you had to drive into the covered drive that felt like a tunnel to check in.

Anyway, does anyone else remember those great maps that they used to have on the wall. It was huge, probably 5' square, (but could have been smaller as i was much smaller at the time). It covered from the poly on the south up to the proposed "persian" up by the monorail barn. Had all the proposed hotels on it. I remember looking at it for hours. I think that they were removed when they did one of the refurbs of the rooms but not sure of an exact year. My guess is the maps were there from opening to about 76 or 77.

If anyone remembers them or has a picture or anything I would love to hear from you.
Thanks so much
Chad

dvcwdw

I also remember the maps. All the rooms in the hotel had them, Tower, North & South Wings. Would love to get hold of one. They did include all the originally
planned hotels, Persian, Asian.

Upvote 0

AllThatsJoey

My Fiance's grandparents have one of those very maps hanging in their townhouse in Kissimmee. I'm assuming they bought it at the Disneyana auction a while back. The condition of thiers isn't as good as the one in the previously posted picture. I think their roof leaked and did a bit of dammage to it...also it's not in a frame. I think the edges are kind of nasty. Anywhoo...I'll get a picture of it next time I go up there...I always mean to and forget everytime.

Upvote 0

Jerm

The only place I have ever seen one of these maps is on the wall at the Comedy Warehouse on PI. They have all sorts of old Disney stuff all over the walls. It is a great map I wish they would reproduce those maps at some point they would be great for us Disney people.

J

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have never seen them in person but my boyfriend remembers them fondly. He says they were at the Contemporary and the Poly in the late 70s/early 80s. There was once a thread about this and someone gave out this address and you can see the map in great detail. I will just write down the URL but you can also go by visiting www.disneypix.com. In the search bar type "maps". It's the 7th option that comes back labeled Poly Resort, May 1981. Here is the URL:
http:www.disneypix.com/resorts/poly/1981a/DPR0581-08.htm
I heard in the last thread on this topic that someone was selling one on EBay at the tune of $10,000! Think of 2 resorts and how they were in all the rooms though. I wonder what they did with them all when they decided to remove them??
I didn't know they had them at a Comedy club on PI!!! I will have to pay a visit when we go in August!!
Well, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Upvote 0

lincicome

Original Poster
Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for the pictures and the great memories. If anyone ever knows where I can find one for less than $10,000, Id love to know.
Thanks again

Upvote 0

mrtoad

poohbear6103 said:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have never seen them in person but my boyfriend remembers them fondly. He says they were at the Contemporary and the Poly in the late 70s/early 80s. There was once a thread about this and someone gave out this address and you can see the map in great detail. I will just write down the URL but you can also go by visiting www.disneypix.com. In the search bar type "maps". It's the 7th option that comes back labeled Poly Resort, May 1981. Here is the URL:
http:www.disneypix.com/resorts/poly/1981a/DPR0581-08.htm
I heard in the last thread on this topic that someone was selling one on EBay at the tune of $10,000! Think of 2 resorts and how they were in all the rooms though. I wonder what they did with them all when they decided to remove them??
I didn't know they had them at a Comedy club on PI!!! I will have to pay a visit when we go in August!!
Well, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I too loved this map. But yes, one did sell on ebay for over 10K so for most it is out of reach.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom